Neutered male kitten has possiable anesthesia induced stroke

Old March 25th 05, 03:37 AM
sue via CatKB.com

Default Neutered male kitten has possiable anesthesia induced stroke

My 4 month old kitten was neutered and after 24 hours was home and acting
normal. His mother was also sprayed and is fine. After about 6 hours he
stated rocking his head up and down and his eyes were trembling up and down
he was very stiff and could only stand in a "arch back" position. My vet
said he as still under the anesthesia and give him suger water and make
sure hs is not dehydrated. I took him back to the Vet who put him on a IV
and gave him anti-inflam and DEMSO for brain swelling. Any ideas of what
happened to him? Stroke, blood clot or some other brain injury? He has a
50/50 chance to make it through the night. Any helpful meds. to try? I need
some suggestions of where to go from here? He is slightly improved but
seems very brain damaged.

Old March 25th 05, 04:25 AM
Candace

sue via CatKB.com wrote:
[...]

Oh, no, I'm very sorry. Poor little baby. It's rare but it happens
sometimes. I sincerely hope he'll be okay and please let us know what
happens. It's so unfortunate as you were doing the right thing by
getting him neutered.

Candace

Old March 25th 05, 03:48 PM
sue via CatKB.com

Today he actually got up and went to use the liter box at the Vets. So that
is a big imrovement. He is pretty much the same not eating, staring in
space,still on a IV. Vet said he would determine if he is brain damaged
Sat. Should I worry about hepatic lipidosis from not eating? Should he take
diazepam for the seizures? Anyone know if we are doing all we can? Greyson
is a sweet pet to my 3 boys they are heartbroken and so am I.

Old March 25th 05, 05:37 PM
Karen

"sue via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Today he actually got up and went to use the liter box at the Vets. So

that
is a big imrovement. He is pretty much the same not eating, staring in
space,still on a IV. Vet said he would determine if he is brain damaged
Sat. Should I worry about hepatic lipidosis from not eating? Should he

take
diazepam for the seizures? Anyone know if we are doing all we can? Greyson
is a sweet pet to my 3 boys they are heartbroken and so am I.

I am so sorry about this. I think you just have to wait. Maybe the IV gives
him enough nutrition he doesn't want to eat? I think it is a *good* sign he
used the litterbox on his own though.

Old March 26th 05, 01:02 AM
sue via CatKB.com

Greyson died today 3 days after a simple neutered proceedure. I am having a
hard time dealing with handing a perfectly healthy, playful,
loving family member to someone and having it die 3 days later. I feel
responsiable because if I did not have this done we would still have him .
My heart hurts for my sons grief. We are in shock and having a hard time
dealing with how it happened. The Vet asked to do a autopsy, I agreeded so
maybe this will not happen to another kitten. We will pick him up later and
our kids will bury him next to our 17 year cat who died less then a year
ago. Thank you for reponding and your support.

Old March 26th 05, 01:08 AM
sue via CatKB.com

Greyson died today 3 days after a simple neutered procedure. I am having a
hard time dealing with handing a perfectly healthy, playful,
loving family member to someone and having it die 3 days later. I feel
responsiable because if I did not have this done we would still have him .
My heart hurts for my son's grief. We are in shock and having a hard time
dealing with how it happened. The Vet asked to do a autopsy, I agreeded so
maybe this will not happen to another kitten. We will pick him up later and
our kids will bury him next to our 17 year cat who died less then a year
ago. Thank you for responding and your support.

Old March 26th 05, 01:14 AM
Elle

I am so sorry, Sue. This was not your fault. I am glad you're doing the
autopsy. Take care, Elle

"sue via CatKB.com" wrote

Old March 26th 05, 01:49 AM
Justin L

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 01:02:01 GMT, "sue via CatKB.com"
wrote:

Greyson died today 3 days after a simple neutered proceedure. I am having a
hard time dealing with handing a perfectly healthy, playful,
loving family member to someone and having it die 3 days later. I feel
responsiable because if I did not have this done we would still have him .
My heart hurts for my sons grief. We are in shock and having a hard time
dealing with how it happened. The Vet asked to do a autopsy, I agreeded so
maybe this will not happen to another kitten. We will pick him up later and
our kids will bury him next to our 17 year cat who died less then a year
ago. Thank you for reponding and your support.

I am sorry to hear about this.

I can't imagine how I would feel if this would have happened to my
kitten Elwood when he was neutered.

Hopefully they can learn something from the autopsy to prevent this
from happening to anyone else's kitten.

Justin
Old March 26th 05, 02:00 AM
kitkat

wrote:

Greyson died today 3 days after a simple neutered proceedure. I am having a
hard time dealing with handing a perfectly healthy, playful,
loving family member to someone and having it die 3 days later. I feel
responsiable because if I did not have this done we would still have him .
My heart hurts for my sons grief. We are in shock and having a hard time
dealing with how it happened. The Vet asked to do a autopsy, I agreeded so
maybe this will not happen to another kitten. We will pick him up later and
our kids will bury him next to our 17 year cat who died less then a year
ago. Thank you for reponding and your support.

Wow. I am just so saddened and sorry to hear this. I can not imagine how
I would feel in the situation. My biggest fear of anesthesia is just
what happened to you. As I sit here and try and decide what to do about
my own cat who needs dental work and will have to be put under for it, I
really wonder!

I imagine something else was wrong with Greyson that you could not have
known about.

At any rate, purrs and love from the cats and me.
Pam, Luna and Jasper