Taking cats away on holiday

Old July 19th 05, 03:20 PM
j.p

Default Taking cats away on holiday

I have two mature (8-10 years old) house trained female cats. They were
rescue cats and i have had them for nearly four years. They have settled
down ok and go out into the garden at night etc and always come back.
I want to go away for a week at christmas this year to a rented cottage
and do not know what to do with the cats.
I would like to take them with me but i am worried about how the stress
will effect them. It would be about a 5 hour car journey in their travel
boxes and then they would be in a strange house for a week. I would take
their beds with them and a litter tray so i wouldn't have to let them out.
Does anyone think this would have any long term effect on them? will the
stress of the journey effect their heart? will they be disorientated
when they come back and might they get lost if i let them out as usual
when i get back. I really want to get away and would really like to take
them along but i couldn't stand it if i thought that something i had
done had caused them any harm.
Any advice, ideas experiences or suggestions would be very gratefully
received.
Old July 19th 05, 06:47 PM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:20:35 +0100, j.p wrote:

[...]

I've never done this, but when you try it, let us know. I would think as
long as they have you, they would feel OK MLB

Old July 19th 05, 10:39 PM
Karen M.

j.p wrote:
[...]

Cats are pretty resilient. My spoiled old kitty (no kibble for her!)
quickly adjusted to long car trips, and we did this almost every
weekend all summer. (Work-related.)

When you set off in the car, they will scream and cry, sometimes in
a pattern like a car alarm and in unision. It's kindof cute, actually.
About 30 minutes of that and they will shut up.

Plan to take a familiar blankie along for each kid. They'll arrive
at the new place, wander around exploring every horizontal square inch,
and then grumpily curl up. Next day they'll be back to normal.

They'll remember what home is like, and they'll know that they are
back. (When I take my current babes out on a trip, when we turn down
the street two blocks away they know we're close.)

Oh, get collars with nametags, and your cell phone number.

HTH

--Karen M.