Urgent Purrs Needed

Old December 17th 10, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Default Urgent Purrs Needed

Pat wrote:
Joy wrote:
Pat wrote

They're back. Aby got an antibiotic injection and a painkiller
injection, and will be going back to TED in the morning for some
dental work.
TED says try and get him to eat. I offered baby food but he's not
eating it. Last night he got squid and loved that. Maybe he's holding
out for shrimpies...

Well? Why don't you give him some? G

Purrs that all goes well tomorrow.

I thawed some out and made them into a puree. He's not interested.
This is unprecedented... He drank water when he got back from TED, and
peed, then I offered the baby food, which he turned down. Since then
he's taken a huge dump and has been moving around to different beds,
different spots on the floor, and once in a cupboard (now blocked).
And he's nauseated - maybe a reaction to the injected drugs.

Dave couldn't remember the name of the pain drug TED injected. So I
called the office and spoke with the receptionist/vet tech. She said
the drug's name is "flunexamine" but - as I learned later - apparently
there is no such drug. I thought she must have pronounced it wrong and
kept searching for other drugs that sound like it. All I've been able
to find are "fluvoxamine" which is an anti-depressant not used on
animals, and "fluocinonide" which is used by vets but is a topical
cortico-steroid.

Of course, TED's office was closed for the day by the time I found the
above info, so I have no idea what kind of drug other than the
antibiotic was actually given, nor any idea what signs of possible
negative side effects I should be watching for. And TED didn't give
Dave an invoice (which would have showed the name of the drug) because
the treatment is not finished yet.

But here's a word that starts with "flu" and has an "x" in it, that
describes my current state of mind: flummoxed!

Which explains why meowmies go grey! Best wishes MLB
Old December 17th 10, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
BfloPolska

On Dec 16, 4:47*pm, Pat wrote:
Dave just left with Abelard to go to TED....

Kitty didn't eat this morning and when I tried to feed him again a
while ago, I saw the left side of his face was swelled up. I sniffed
his breath and it was bad, like he has a bad tooth. Poor baby!! Just
when he was putting weight on and starting to enjoy the company of
other cats again, something comes up to spoil things ;(

Could we have some dental well-being purrs, please?

Dental purrs on the way!

Blessed be,
Baha
Old December 17th 10, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Dave couldn't remember the name of the pain drug TED injected. So I
called the office and spoke with the receptionist/vet tech. She said
the drug's name is "flunexamine" but - as I learned later - apparently
there is no such drug. I thought she must have pronounced it wrong and
kept searching for other drugs that sound like it.

Flunixin meglumine (Banamine)?

One thing to remember is that generic drug names can be different
from one country to another. For example, in the US, the generic name
for Tylenol is acetaminophen, but I seem to remember that it's called
something else in the UK, and maybe a third thing in Australia.

--
What I look forward to, is continued immaturity, followed by death.
-- Dave Barry
Old December 17th 10, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Jack Campin wrote:
Flunixin meglumine (Banamine)?

It must be this one. What I can't understand is, why didn't the lady
just say "Banamine" in response to my question? It's so commonly used
around here, almost every layman knows what it is. And it's so much
easier to say.

Old December 17th 10, 10:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Pat wrote:
Dave just left with Abelard to go to TED....

Kitty didn't eat this morning and when I tried to feed him again a
while ago, I saw the left side of his face was swelled up. I sniffed
his breath and it was bad, like he has a bad tooth. Poor baby!! Just
when he was putting weight on and starting to enjoy the company of
other cats again, something comes up to spoil things ;(

Could we have some dental well-being purrs, please?

Purrs on the way.

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart
Old December 17th 10, 01:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Pat wrote:
They're back. Aby got an antibiotic injection and a painkiller
injection, and will be going back to TED in the morning for some
dental work.

TED says try and get him to eat. I offered baby food but he's not
eating it. Last night he got squid and loved that. Maybe he's holding
out for shrimpies...

Poor little guy. We'll send purrs that that will take care of his
infection.
Old December 17th 10, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

"Pat" wrote in message

Dave just left with Abelard to go to TED....

Kitty didn't eat this morning and when I tried to feed him again a
while ago, I saw the left side of his face was swelled up. I sniffed
his breath and it was bad, like he has a bad tooth. Poor baby!! Just
when he was putting weight on and starting to enjoy the company of
other cats again, something comes up to spoil things ;(

Could we have some dental well-being purrs, please?

-------

Snowy purrs & prayers coming by way of upstate New York!!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

Old December 17th 10, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

Will always purr and pray for Abelard. Hope everything is
ok with him.

Lily & her mama

--
Irulan
from the stars we come

"Pat" wrote in message
Dave just left with Abelard to go to TED....

Kitty didn't eat this morning and when I tried to feed him again a
while ago, I saw the left side of his face was swelled up. I sniffed
his breath and it was bad, like he has a bad tooth. Poor baby!! Just
when he was putting weight on and starting to enjoy the company of
other cats again, something comes up to spoil things ;(

Could we have some dental well-being purrs, please?

..

Old December 17th 10, 04:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Irulan wrote:
Will always purr and pray for Abelard. Hope everything is
ok with him.

Dave is in the waiting room with him @ TED right now, we just spoke by
phone. Aby had a bad night, he refused food and couldn't even keep
water down, and he was cold. I took him to bed with me under the
covers and he woke me as he was getting out. He was too slow and ended
up barfing on my head. Thank goodness it was just water.

Abelard let me have a good look inside his mouth last night. I did see
a nasty-looking cavity in one tooth. I guess they won't be able to do
any surgery until the infection is under control, though. In the
meantime, he will have a hard time eating, and this is a cat who can't
really afford not to eat.

I was up until 4 AM worrying and watching and just cuddling the little
guy. Dave woke me way too early because Aby wasn't in plain sight and
he figured he was under my blanket. But he was in a covered cat bed,
sound asleep. And now I am too wound up and worried to go back to
sleep.

Old December 17th 10, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Pat" wrote in message
Irulan wrote:
[...]

You can sometimes get food into a cat that can't eat (assuming it's pain
from the teeth and not an inability to digest) by using a syringe *without*
a needle to force feed. Your vet can probably supply a couple of syringes
without any cost. Use very soft food and add some water or chicken broth to
it. You can also get good nutrients by boiling some chicken in water until
most of the water has cooked away. What you want is the gel that will be
formed, not the chicken itself. Refrigerate the liquid, skim off the fat,
and you should have some nice gel to use for this purpose. Microwave a
small amount of gel just until it melts and is slightly warm (not hot).

Insert the syringe into the corner of the mouth and squeeze food in
Abelard's mouth *very slowly and carefully.* You do not want to cause him
to choke.

MaryL