*sigh* Tucker's weight, again

Old September 1st 04, 11:28 PM
GAUBSTER2

You can not use an Atkins type diet as a treat or else it simply fails
to do what it is supposed to do.

From the words of Steve Crane regarding m/d (Steve works for Hills as
Veterinary consultant)

"So yes the diet works, but *only* if pet owners follow directions. In
testing, all cats became metabolically ketogenic which is the
objective of such a low carb diet. Once the state of metabolic ketosis
is reached, that is the trigger for changing metabolism."

-mhd

I *did* follow directions. I used m/d dry as the main diet with a
teaspoon of the m/d canned as a "treat." I say treat because he used
to get more canned before he went on a diet, so I didn't want to go
completely from mostly canned to no canned.

Perhaps your cat was ingesting too many calories?

Old September 2nd 04, 02:57 PM
Rene

Rene, if you didn't use it as intended, why would you give it anything other
than a "positive" recommendation? Sounds like "user error" in your case? A
friend of mine is a vet and many of his clients have had good success with m/d.
Since m/d is very calorically dense, unless you stictly follow feeding
guidelines it's quite possible a cat will gain weight. You're looking to
achieve a metabolism shift with m/d.

I learned from Megan that the small amount I was giving (3/4 cup per
day) was TWICE as many calories as he needed, hence the huge weight
gain. I had no idea it had so many calories; my vet suggested the
change and when I asked if 3/4 cup was appropriate, they said yes, and
read the bag. (Actually, the bag suggested I give *more* than that.) I
fault my vet for this, and this is why I'm going ahead, against their
suggestions, and feeding canned only. Live and learn, I guess.

Old September 4th 04, 02:20 PM
Bluesman

"Mary" wrote in message ...
"Bluesman" wrote Karen,

Tucker has always been a "large boned" kitty. His paws and head are
huge! Here's a pic taken about a month ago:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rj_...&.dnm=b412.jpg
He now weighs 21 lbs.

Wow. My cat's name is Fatass and she is svelte compared to Tucker!
If you have already cut down on the amount of food and he is otherwise
healthy, let him eat - he is just a fat dude. Fatass has been a blimp
since 3. She is now 15, healthy as ever.

Bluesman

Nice to hear that Fatass is healthy and happy! How is your Mom?

Mary,

Thank you kindly for asking about my mom. She passed away on Monday
8/30. She dies peacefully in her sleep in her bed after a long bout
with pneumonia.

Fatass is with me until she is called up to be with her. Having the
big cat around is comforting as my mother loved her a great deal, and
Fatass was a source of calming and companionship for my mom for the
past 10 years.

Thanks,

Bluesman