It's amazing he's still alive

Old October 18th 05, 03:57 AM
Susan M

Default It's amazing he's still alive

Really. It's amazing that Otis has lived to be nine based on his judgement.
Besides all the ill-advised escaping that he's done and the number of times
he's thus found himself lost ...

.... tonight, I was working at my computer on the second floor. Otis was a
little squirrly - seemed to want to go out. I was concentrating on my work
when all the sudden Otis flung himself at the open window. He hit the
screen and appeared surprised to have done so. AND LUCKY HIM. This part of
the house happens to plunge straight down - no eaves, no first floor roof to
slow the fall. What was he thinking???

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old October 18th 05, 04:46 AM

Susan M wrote:
Really. It's amazing that Otis has lived to be nine based on his judgement.
Besides all the ill-advised escaping that he's done and the number of times
he's thus found himself lost ...

... tonight, I was working at my computer on the second floor. Otis was a
little squirrly - seemed to want to go out. I was concentrating on my work
when all the sudden Otis flung himself at the open window. He hit the
screen and appeared surprised to have done so. AND LUCKY HIM. This part of
the house happens to plunge straight down - no eaves, no first floor roof to
slow the fall. What was he thinking???

Susan M
Otis and Chester

You might be doing him a slight slight here.

They did a study and found that cats needed a minimal amount of
vertical height to be able to re-orient themselves during a fall.

I can't remember the numbers but it's like a small fall was far more
dangerous than a larger one if the feline could not re-orient its body
during the fall.

A second floor fall thought may not be enough if it's too low.

Did you see the cat who jumped off the top of a telephone pole? About
40 feet and re-oriented and scampered off. That was one jump.

There's a sweet spot in this, I don't mean it's linear and the taller
the better, it has to be just so tall, not too tall and not too short.

Okay, Otis does seem as though he's hit the wall a few too many times

Old October 18th 05, 02:00 PM
Victor Martinez

Susan M wrote:
slow the fall. What was he thinking???

Look mom, I can fly!!!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 18th 05, 04:12 PM
Marina

Susan M wrote:
Really. It's amazing that Otis has lived to be nine based on his judgement.
Besides all the ill-advised escaping that he's done and the number of times
he's thus found himself lost ...

... tonight, I was working at my computer on the second floor. Otis was a
little squirrly - seemed to want to go out. I was concentrating on my work
when all the sudden Otis flung himself at the open window. He hit the
screen and appeared surprised to have done so. AND LUCKY HIM. This part of
the house happens to plunge straight down - no eaves, no first floor roof to
slow the fall. What was he thinking???

Oh my! Did you scrape yourself off the ceiling already? P

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old October 19th 05, 04:42 AM
Susan M

wrote in message
oups.com...
Chester

You might be doing him a slight slight here.

They did a study and found that cats needed a minimal amount of
vertical height to be able to re-orient themselves during a fall.

I can't remember the numbers but it's like a small fall was far more
dangerous than a larger one if the feline could not re-orient its body
during the fall.

A second floor fall thought may not be enough if it's too low.

I've read this too. I'm just not eager to test it out though :-)

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old October 19th 05, 04:43 AM
Susan M

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Susan M wrote:
slow the fall. What was he thinking???

Look mom, I can fly!!!

I think it might have been more like "I can't breathe, I can't take it, I'm
going crazy, I've got to go OUT, I've GOT TO GO OUT, the room is spinning,
help, help, HELP!!!!!!"

Or, maybe nothing at all was going through his head :-)

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old October 19th 05, 04:44 AM
Susan M

"Marina" wrote in message
Susan M wrote:
Really. It's amazing that Otis has lived to be nine based on his
judgement. Besides all the ill-advised escaping that he's done and the
number of times he's thus found himself lost ...

... tonight, I was working at my computer on the second floor. Otis was
a little squirrly - seemed to want to go out. I was concentrating on my
work when all the sudden Otis flung himself at the open window. He hit
the screen and appeared surprised to have done so. AND LUCKY HIM. This
part of the house happens to plunge straight down - no eaves, no first
floor roof to slow the fall. What was he thinking???

Oh my! Did you scrape yourself off the ceiling already? P

That's right - what a shock. It happened in slow motion. "Nooooooo
Otttissssssss doooonnnn'tttttttt..." Whew!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old October 20th 05, 03:19 PM
Howard C. Berkowitz

Susan M wrote:
slow the fall. What was he thinking???

Look mom, I can fly!!!

I think it might have been more like "I can't breathe, I can't take it, I'm
going crazy, I've got to go OUT, I've GOT TO GO OUT, the room is spinning,
help, help, HELP!!!!!!"

Or, maybe nothing at all was going through his head :-)

Clifford (RB) was a devoted moth-er. We felt that we let him down by
not having enough wool to protect.

It did, however, take him several years to realize that when a moth
flew over the stairwell, he was NOT able to fly after it. It was not
that he leapt at the moths, but would hurl himself high into the air,
apparently expecting to grow wings.

His intelligence, wisdom, or both improved considerably with age.