socializing feral cat to non-ferals: impossible?

Old January 9th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Default socializing feral cat to non-ferals: impossible?

not sure if this is the right place to post it. Buddy Boo is a young
feral cat who was trapped and had a tumor removed (recovering well),
was vaccinated, spayed, etc. I want to let him out of his cage but the
weather is not good. My house has 4 cat doors for my other
(approximately 30) socialized cats. He is in a large cage. He seems
very alert and content but I don't think it's good for him not to get
any exercise. Does anyone have any experience with ferals coming in and
getting socialized into multi-cat households? I'm sure he could
shelter outdoors in my garage, but it seems heartless with the snow and
ice. He is more afraid of me and my partner than the other cats. His
cage is on one shelf of many where other cats also can sit: this is a
cat-friendly home and we have made sacrifices most people wouldn't
consider to make the cats comfortable. Any advice or thoughts much
appreciated.

Old January 9th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

On 8 Jan 2006 17:28:31 -0800, "windwatcher" wrote:

[...]

Bless you for helping out this cat.

All I can tell you is my experience with Brando, my former feral whom
I trapped, neutered, etc.

I kept him in a cage (from what I have read, this is good for ferals,
as it makes them feel secure) in a separate room. After he was
neutered (which took a few months to get him into the low-cost
program), he was allowed free roam of the room. With that, he could
sniff other cats under the door and vice versa. After a little time
of doing that, I allowed him out with the other cats. They all pretty
much love him, and he has become a very loving lap cat. I don't know
if you have a separate room or not, but that is what worked for me.

Best of luck to you!

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Animals in Movies Website)
Old January 9th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Ginger's advice is right on the money. Your little guy will be glad to
meet your other cats but he needs to be gently introduced to this whole
new life ahead of him.

If you want to chat more about this kitten, I would be glad to talk to
you. Email me privately.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus (feral) Cats
Seattle

Old January 11th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

I really appreciated hearing about Brando. Now I don't feel so
terrible about keeping him in the cage for a couple of weeks. We
already have him about 4 feet up, above a dining table that cats jump
up on in a 3x4foot cage with a box in it for him to lay. We're
re-thinking our strategy of letting him out of the cage. If we could
let him loose in the house it would be good but there are too many ways
outside and I'm sure he's seen our other cats go out the kitty doors in
every room.

We have another cat that was given to us recently "Little One" who
suffered serious injury with a car running over its tail. We thought
he was feral but found from the animal hospital that someone declawed
his front feet long ago. He's suffered a LOT since it took us two to
three weeks to trap him after the accident. He is in the only spare
room that has no cat door and needs a lot of extra care several times a
day. They are both males and about the same age so I thought maybe put
them in the same room together; there is a draft under the door and
other cats sniff through the door, as did Ginger's cats, and then BB
would not be confined to a cage. I was worried and still am that Buddy
Boo doesn't get sufficient exercise: he has a bowel movement only every
few days: we tried giving him small amounts of lactulose but he still
is not pooping for at least 3 days. He is not handleable. If we leave
him alone in the room he eats his food. He stays in the carton
otherwise and ventures out to pee and drink and eat. Our cat litter
supplier no longer has unscented litter. We are also worried about him
drinking his water when he has kicked the deodorized litter into it,
changing water several times daily.

Old February 5th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Update on Buddy: he is still in a cage near the window and enjoys
watching the birds at the feeder ten feet away. He interacts (sniffs,
touches noses) with cats who are on his shelf which runs the length and
width of the room. He doesn't try to escape when we leave the door open
to change his litter. When winter is truly over (this is New England:
March?) we plan to leave the door open. Does anyone think we should
not? Hope he does not disappear. Main reason: we're worried over his
lack of exercise.
Little One the tailess cat is now free to go wherever he wants and is
fitting in very well. He's on two meds right now for bladder and other
than a few spots on his knees he's healing well.

Old February 5th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

BTW: Buddy is likely a few years old, and truly feral.

Old February 6th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue

Windwatcher, If he is a true feral cat he will most likely take off if let
outdoors.
He might enjoy having a steady supply of food and attention on demand for
awhile.
He might even like being around the other cats.
But I would guess sooner or later he will wander off seeking adventure
elsewhere.

Willee

"windwatcher" wrote in message
ps.com...
BTW: Buddy is likely a few years old, and truly feral.