no more dry cat food?

Old April 8th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
yepp

Default no more dry cat food?

Took Bonnie in for her follow-up vet visit today and the vet tells me
I should get my cats off dry food entirely and switch to canned or a
raw food diet. Turns out the vets have been wrong for the last 30
years or more and now recommend a canned only diet. What? When did
this movement start?
Old April 8th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"yepp" wrote in message
Took Bonnie in for her follow-up vet visit today and the vet tells me
I should get my cats off dry food entirely and switch to canned or a
raw food diet. Turns out the vets have been wrong for the last 30
years or more and now recommend a canned only diet. What? When did
this movement start?

If you're interested in why the "movement" started, here's some good facts
for you: http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm.

Before now, vets were not very well educated in feline nutrition (there
wasn't a course for it in vet school), so they got everything they knew from
pet food salesmen.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 8th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
yepp

On Apr 8, 12:28*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
"yepp" wrote in message

Took Bonnie in for her follow-up vet visit today and the vet tells me
I should get my cats off dry food entirely and switch to canned or a
raw food diet. *Turns out the vets have been wrong for the last 30
years or more and now recommend a canned only diet. *What? *When did
this movement start?

If you're interested in why the "movement" started, here's some good facts
for you: *http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm.

Before now, vets were not very well educated in feline nutrition (there
wasn't a course for it in vet school), so they got everything they knew from
pet food salesmen.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Yeah, she said to think of it like an Atkins diet. Low or no carbs
and high in protein. That is the best. Bonnie throws up a lot and
that is what got the discussion going on food.
Old April 8th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I asked my vet about this and he didn't have a clue where this info came
from. He likes a combination of wet/dry.

Old April 8th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"yepp" wrote in message

[...]

&&&&&
Now it makes sense. If Bonnie is having a problem with dry food, yes she
does need to be on 'wet' food. And some cats do need a raw diet.

Bonnie is a Himalayan if I remember right. The more exotic cats are more
likely to have digestive problems and to require a more natural diet.

I have a friend who has Bengals and her girl has to have a raw diet, so of
course they both get it.

But plenty of people has fed cats dry food for many years with no problems
at all. Ours won't eat anything else. We compromise by giving them the
very best dry food we can find.

If the had to have it, yes I'd be grinding up whole raw chickens too. But
for now we are fine.

Jo

(They do feel guilty enough that I get a big chopped up shrimp every night,
and Molly gets lots of turkey too)

Jake

Old April 8th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Granby wrote:
I asked my vet about this and he didn't have a clue where this info
came from. He likes a combination of wet/dry.

Persia's vet doesn't have a problem with her eating only dry. Since before
she was placed on a prescription diet I gave her a can of Fancy Feast every
Sunday as a treat, I tried her on the wet version of her Rx food. Never
could get her to eat it.

Jill

Old April 8th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"yepp" wrote in message
Took Bonnie in for her follow-up vet visit today and the vet tells me
I should get my cats off dry food entirely and switch to canned or a
raw food diet. Turns out the vets have been wrong for the last 30
years or more and now recommend a canned only diet. What? When did
this movement start?

As far as I can see, there are two schools of thought. One group of vets
say dry food is better for their teeth. The other group says wet food is
better. I think the best thing to do is to go by the individual cat. Yours
obviously is having digestive problems, so a change of food could be a good
idea. I had one cat that I truly believe would have starved if I had given
her only wet food.

Joy

Old April 8th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
yepp

On Apr 8, 2:45*pm, "Joy" wrote:
"yepp" wrote in message

Took Bonnie in for her follow-up vet visit today and the vet tells me
I should get my cats off dry food entirely and switch to canned or a
raw food diet. *Turns out the vets have been wrong for the last 30
years or more and now recommend a canned only diet. *What? *When did
this movement start?

As far as I can see, there are two schools of thought. *One group of vets
say dry food is better for their teeth. *The other group says wet food is
better. *I think the best thing to do is to go by the individual cat. *Yours
obviously is having digestive problems, so a change of food could be a good
idea. *I had one cat that I truly believe would have starved if I had given
her only wet food.

Joy

The vet was referring to all cats being better off eating a wet food
diet. I know Bonnie will eat just about anything right now. She is
easy. Bobby is the fussy one. He is really finicky.

I looked up some websites about this subject. catnutrition.org is one
and also on ehow and about.com there are lots of articles about
feeding at wet diet.

I think feeding a raw diet would be much harder. You must have
taurine and some other vitamins/minerals for your cat and I think I'll
just try to get both my cats eating more wet. The vet said to try to
mix the dry into the wet for 7 days.

From the websites I've been reading today, it says:

Dry food actually breaks up into crumbs and gets stuck in your cat's
teeth. That causes dental problems. Ripping a piece of raw meat like
chicken or beef, actually cleans your cat's teeth. It also says cats
love the crunch of dry food but dry food diets lead to diabetes and
kidney problems. It makes our longer living pet cats fat and the vets
are seeing a remarkable increase in diabetes in cats.

Old April 8th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Apr 8, 12:28*pm, "Granby" wrote:
I asked my vet about this and he didn't have a clue where this info came
from. *He likes a combination of wet/dry

Unfortunately, your vet is like many others that have been brainwashed
by the pet food companies over the years and for whatever reason have
not bothered to investigate newer research on feline nutrition.
Fortunately, more and more vets are finally coming to the realization
that cats are CARNIVORES and we must feed them as such to ensure the
best chance of them staying healthy. Feeding a true carnivore what
amounts to a dry bowl of cereal with a little meat thrown in makes
about as much sense as feeding a cow steak (and we know what happened
when cows started eating feed that had meat in it...)

Everyone with a cat should read this link:
http://www.catinfo.org
and buy this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cat-Simpl...81932&sr= 8-1
Old April 8th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Apr 8, 11:52*am, yepp wrote:
. *Ripping a piece of raw meat like
chicken or beef, actually cleans your cat's teeth.

I throw the Fabulous Furballs the occasional bit of steak, which they
love. Another thing I do is when we're having a roast lamb or beef
(NEVER chicken or any other poultry) on the bone (shoulder of lamb in
particular is good for this) I leave a fair bit of meat on the bone
and when it's cooled I let the Fabulous Furballs at it. They like
tearing the meat off- I keep an eye on them while they do it- well it
is fun to watch them getting stuck in - they suddenly act like a pair
of lions on the Serengeti and remove the bone (and take it out of the
house or they'll rip the bin open) as soon as they've cleaned the bone
and had a good gnaw on it and the vet says they have no dental
problems

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs