Update KFC (GW)

Old May 13th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Update KFC (GW)

wrote in message
On May 13, 3:16 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
wrote in message

On May 13, 2:02 pm, "Christina Websell"

wrote:
She's been doing well, appetite wise, since she was home from hospital,
but
her streaming green nose stuff has never cleared up properly, although
not
quite so frequent.
However, I don't think she likes having it any more than I liked it last
night when she sat on my chest purring while I was watching TV. I
watched
while a trail of green came from her nostril and got larger and larger
and
started to bubble. I was torn between knowing what was going to happen
and
not wanting to disturb her because she was comfortable. The not
disturbing
won and the inevitable happened..
She sneezed it all over my face.

She didn't eat her breakfast this morning, so she had a visit to TED
this
evening. She's had another long-acting antibiotic injection and an
anabolic
steriod one to "give her a boost" I asked TED (a partner, really
experienced) if he was worried about her. He said "no, not all all, not
when you remember how she nearly died from it 3 weeks ago, she's doing
very
well for her age."
I said "but her fur looks awful and she is so frail." He said "it's
purely
cosmetic, she is fine."
We went on to talk about my dogs, which he remembers very well, as he
operated on some of them. He said "you do something right to get your
dogs
as far as 20 yo and your cat to 22, I wish I knew that secret."

I like my vet.

Tweed

This sure sounds like a herpes virus related upper respiratory
infection. If you can get to a health food store, buy Lysine in
*capsule* form (NOT pills-they taste icky) and mix 250-500 mg into
some stinky wet food twice a day. It will help clear this up.

From about.com:

"Treatment of Herpes/calicivirus may include antibiotics to ward off
secondary bacterial infections. Some veterinarians have found success
with Interferon, which helps to boost the immune system. Positive
results have also been found with the administration of l-lysine in a
dosage of 250-500 mg/day. Special attention should be paid to
nutrition with URI-infected cats. Because of nasal stuffiness, they
may not be able to smell their food, and refuse to eat. Sometimes
warming the food a bit will pep up the odor and entice the cat to eat.
Dehydration can be a real problem, so moist foods may be best for the
cat under treatment, as well as water given by eye-dropper, if
necessary."

Thanks so much for this advice, I will ask my vet if there is a chance she
got herpes somehow. But wouldn't it have showed up earlier and not waited
until she was 22?

If she ever had an upper respiratory infection during her lifetimeshe
probably has the herpes virus. Being outside and exposed to other cats
creates an environment where transmission is common. It's a crapshoot
as to which cats will be affected more than others, athough a
compromised immune system will or can cause it to rear it's ugly head.
Herpes will hibernate in the body and never leave. Some cats will have
one infection and never have another, some may have chronic issues,
some may have an occasional outbreak. Stress and illness are the two
main causes for an outbreak.

My feeling is that she is so old that her immune system is not working
properly, cats are not designed to live this long.

You're right on track and this would definitely be a reason why she is
having an issue. This is where Lysine would be helpful. It stops the
virus from replicating and minimizes then diminishes the symptoms,
usually causing them to go away completely. Remember that, even though
KFC received an antibiotic, that is for secondary issues and does
nothing for viruses. Lysine is inexpensive, non-toxic, and easy to
obtain. It certainly won't hurt, and her age, it sounds like KFC can
use some extra help.

If she doesn't improve, I will ask my vet about whether Lysine can help.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention

Tweed

Old May 13th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On May 13, 4:08*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
wrote:
On May 13, 3:42 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Jill-

Herpes (at least in humans) is a form of the chicken pox virus and
once you've had it you never get rid of it.

This is not exactly accurate. Chicken pox is in the herpes family
along with Herpes zoster(shingles.) Herpes simplex (genital and oral
herpes) is different.

I know the difference because I have outbreaks of herpes zoster. *You come
across as knowing more than anyone's vet. *

If I come across that way it's no fault of my own and is *your*
perception and *your* problem. I write what I do based on experience,
and am direct and no-nonsense. You and a few others need to put
emotion aside and do a reality check. The written word is often
construed many different ways, and it should be a concern to yourself
and a few others that you more often than not take offense at direct
accusations when there is nothing involved other than being direct and
no-nonsense. I don't sugarcoat, and try to back what I say with
details/cites as often as I can. My main interest is using my
experience to help people here when their cat(s) has a health issue.
If you don't like it, please, killfile me.

I'm not going to argue with you
about this. *You did this whole routine with Lori a few months ago and I
just don't care to get involved in this useless crap.

Yet here you are, doing just that.

Jill

Old May 13th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jo Firey wrote:

Uh, probably you don't intend to come across the way you do 'trips' but...

When you claim to be superior to 'many vets' who don't recognize or have
the sense to treat herpes, and further claim that your clinic treats darn
near every cat for herpes

Well, that does come across as being a know it all, with nothing
to back it up.

I didn't read "I'm superior to many vets" in tripsovercats' post.

I have a cat with the herpes virus, and I have run across several vets
who don't think of looking for it. I even had a veterinary opthalmologist
claim that Roxy didn't have herpes, when she developed a severe eye
infection last year. (Feline herpes tends to affect the eyes more than
any other organ.) At my insistence, he gave her a drug that would work
*only* if the eye infection was caused by the herpes virus, and within a
couple of weeks, her eye looked completely normal. (I never got a picture
of her when the infection was at its worst, but it was *bad*.)

I don't consider myself to be more knowledgeable than "most vets", but
that doesn't mean vets are infallible. The best doctors take their
patients' information seriously, and work *with* them to find a diagnosis.
KFC's vet might well do that already, but it was just a suggestion, in
case that possibility hadn't been considered.

All that said, I wouldn't expect herpes to be the cause of KFC's nasal
infection, given my own experience with it. If she's had the virus all
these years, Christina most likely would have noticed various problems.
Roxy's herpes is pretty mild compared to some cats (her recent eye
infection notwithstanding), and yet she has usually had a runny or
stuffed-up nose, and sneezed a fair amount.*

So anyway, herpes is not what would have occurred to me, but then I'm
not a vet, so I guess it's worth checking out.

--
Joyce

*PS - BTW, ever since I put the cats on Wellness canned food, Roxy
doesn't have such a runny nose anymore, and she doesn't sneeze nearly
as often.

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old May 13th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Adrian" wrote in
om:

secret."
I like my vet.

Tweed

I think that GW should have been a BW. ;-)

Yeah, it was one of those that could go either way.

Old May 13th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On May 13, 4:41*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
wrote:
On May 13, 3:51 pm, "Jo Firey" wrote:

When you claim to be superior to 'many vets' who don't recognize or
have the sense to treat herpes, and further claim that your clinic
treats darn near every cat for herpes

I have done no such thing. Show me the exact quote where I claimed to
be superior to many vets. It doesn't exist. I simply spoke the truth
based on my experience, especially with clients who are referred to us
when their previous vets fail them. You know, for people who pat
themselves on the back for supposedly promoting an atmosphere of
kindness and tolerance, a lot of you are pretty nasty and intolerant
(unless of course someone is a part of your clique.)

Now, do you have any advice to help KFC or are you going to stay
riding the "bash the outsider" bandwagon?

Show us where Tweed asked for help.

Is that the rule Jill? That one must ask for help in order to receive
it? Then I guess a mute that is drowning will be a dead mute if you
are their only hope.
Old May 14th 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On May 13, 4:17*pm, "Matthew"
wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

On May 13, 3:42 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
Jill-

Herpes (at least in humans) is a form of the chicken pox virus and
once you've had it you never get rid of it.

This is not exactly accurate. Chicken pox is in the herpes family
along with Herpes zoster(shingles.) Herpes simplex (genital and oral
herpes) is different.

I know the difference because I have outbreaks of herpes zoster. *You come
across as knowing more than anyone's vet. *I'm not going to argue with you
about this. *You did this whole routine with Lori a few months ago and I
just don't care to get involved in this useless crap.

Jill

He did it to me also a couple weeks ago about Rumble. *He is knowledgeable,
has a lot of information and obviously loves cats *but needs to learn how to
talk to people- Hide quoted text -

Matthew, honestly, stop with the pity party and be a man. I offered
you information pertinent to your cat's diabetes in order to help you
avoid having him come out of remission. You got defensive. End of
story. And here I am to help again anyway because I care about cats
and know your finanicial situation is not great right now. You can
save a lot of money and an unnecessary trip to the vet by hometesting
your kitty's blood sugar by using a glucometer and doing an ear stick.
We don't do curves at the clinic ever, and teach clients to test and
do curves at home. Since he is in remission, there is absolutely no
need to do a curve. Curves are used as a tool to see how a particular
type of insulin will work with a cat and is absolutely unnecessary for
a cat that is in remission and not receiving insulin. A simple spot
check of your cat's blood sugar here and there will let you know how
he's doing. You can buy meters and strips for cheap on Ebay or check
on the messageboard at http://www.felinediabetes.com and ask which
meters they like that are low cost and available at drugstores. I
believe Walgreens has one that is pretty inexpensive and works well.
As to vaccinations, the protocol is every 3 years. If you are doing
yearly vaccines you are spending money unnecessairly and your cats can
suffer potential health issues from overvaccination.
You can go to these websites for current info on vaccine protocols and
information on some of the problems associated with overvaccination:

http://critteradvocacy.org/
http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html
Old May 14th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

wrote in message
On May 13, 3:51 pm, "Jo Firey" wrote:

When you claim to be superior to 'many vets' who don't recognize or have
the sense to treat herpes, and further claim that your clinic treats darn
near every cat for herpes

I have done no such thing. Show me the exact quote where I claimed to
be superior to many vets. It doesn't exist. I simply spoke the truth
based on my experience, especially with clients who are referred to us
when their previous vets fail them. You know, for people who pat
themselves on the back for supposedly promoting an atmosphere of
kindness and tolerance, a lot of you are pretty nasty and intolerant
(unless of course someone is a part of your clique.)

Now, do you have any advice to help KFC or are you going to stay
riding the "bash the outsider" bandwagon?

*********************

KFC and Tweed do not need my advice or help. They do, as always have our
purrs and prayers and concern and for that matter love.

Jo

Old May 14th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...

I think that GW should have been a BW. ;-) Continuing purrs for KFC, I'm
sending her a virtual collared dove.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Okay, I have been a long-time contributor, but I admit that I often don't
recognize acronyms that are used on this NG (that's one I *do* recognize).
So, what are GW and BW?

MaryL

Old May 14th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

. ..

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...

I think that GW should have been a BW. ;-) Continuing purrs for KFC, I'm
sending her a virtual collared dove.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Okay, I have been a long-time contributor, but I admit that I often don't
recognize acronyms that are used on this NG (that's one I *do*
recognize). So, what are GW and BW?

MaryL

BW is the old standby beverage warning. A warning to put down your coffee
or other beverage before opening the post or risk needing a new keyboard.
It is considered redundant if your name is Dave.

GW is the somewhat newer gross warning. Something you may not wish to read
as it may be to bit much for some sensibilities.

It is more often used when animal abuse or other discomfort are being
mentioned. But then again there is gross and there is gross. A hard word
to define.

Jo