Too Much SNOW!

Old December 23rd 04, 02:25 PM
Jeanne Hedge

Default Too Much SNOW!

It's stopped snowing here in Scottsburg, Indiana. It turns out we were
in the middle of the heaviest snow band. I haven't heard a completely
official snowfall total yet, but local news is reporting 34 inches (a
bit over 86 cm) of snow on the ground with 5 foot (1.52 m) drifts. The
county has declared a State of Emergency, and the local radio station
is broadcasting calls for people to lend 4-wheel drive vehicles to the
local police so they can get around.

We have drifts blocking the back door, drifts blocking the front door,
drifts up over windows. Fortunately the drift against the garage door
isn't too bad (that 3 foot drift is set away from the door itself), so
we *can* get out of the house. Of course the car and truck that
weathered the storm (so to speak) out in the driveway are buried so we
have no vehicles that can move at the moment. Even if they could move,
there's nowhere to go - the street's not plowed, you can't get
through.

Saw a neighbor up on his roof a while ago - there are some amazing
drifts on the roofs of the houses across the street. We haven't been
able to get to where we can see our roof yet though - it's probably
just as bad.

Natasha is dealing with this in her usual implacable way. She's gone
back to bed, and is currently snoozing the morning away...

I wonder how things are up in Bloomington?

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old December 23rd 04, 02:32 PM
jmcquown

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
[...]

I don't know about Bloomington, but I know about down here on the outskirts
of Memphis. We got 3 inches of what amounts to ice. Anyone trying to drive
on this stuff is nuts. I'm glad I went to the store yesterday before it
turned to sleet. I went to scatter more seed this morning and didn't even
leave a footprint on the solid sheet which is my patio.

Persia is watching all the birds from a pillow by the sliding patio door,
chattering away.

Keep warm, Jeanette, MMJ, all you snow-bound and any other ice-bound
peoples!

Jill

Old December 23rd 04, 06:11 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
[...]

I don't know what the official depth is, but it comes almost to my knees, so
it *must* be less than what you got LOL.

lived at my parent's, which is a county south of here, and worked here in
Bloomington at a department store. We had an ice-storm down there, but
nothing up here, and when I called in to my superviser to call in sick, she
was going to make it an "unexecused". I humg up on her, called back and got
*her* boss (the store magager), explained my situation. The manager said
she knew the what the weather was down here, and that she'd take care of it.
I thanked here and she asked me how I was, I said I'm fine, but our neighbor
kids were ice skating in the street! She laughed and said that if my
supervisor gave her any lip and complained about me not coming in, she would
tell her to drive down to get me, in her Iroc-Z (her "baby"), and wait for
her to call when she slid off the road!

We had a good laugh at my supervisor's expense. Needless to say, said
supervisor wasn't there very much longer bg

--?
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)© email me at
nalee1964 (at) insightbb (dot) com

Old December 23rd 04, 07:01 PM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 08:32:26 -0600, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
[...]

Doesn't the Bible say that's a sin? :P
And on the PATIO!

and didn't even
leave a footprint on the solid sheet which is my patio.

Persia is watching all the birds from a pillow by the sliding patio door,
chattering away.

Keep warm, Jeanette, MMJ, all you snow-bound and any other ice-bound
peoples!

Jill

Theresa
Old December 23rd 04, 08:14 PM
jmcquown

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
Jeanne Hedge wrote:
It's stopped snowing here in Scottsburg, Indiana. It turns out we
were
in the middle of the heaviest snow band. I haven't heard a completely
official snowfall total yet, but local news is reporting 34 inches (a
bit over 86 cm)

(snippage)
I wonder how things are up in Bloomington?

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

I don't know what the official depth is, but it comes almost to my
knees, so it *must* be less than what you got LOL.

still lived at my parent's, which is a county south of here, and
worked here in Bloomington at a department store. We had an
ice-storm down there, but nothing up here, and when I called in to my
superviser to call in sick, she was going to make it an "unexecused".

(snippage)
Unless they closed the office down here, it was a vacation or personal day.
But that doesn't help folks who live in outlying areas, as you did and I
did. Luckily they panic down here at the first hint of ice or snow.

I humg up on her, called back and got *her* boss (the store magager),
explained my situation. The manager said she knew the what the
weather was down here, and that she'd take care of it. I thanked here
and she asked me how I was, I said I'm fine, but our neighbor kids
were ice skating in the street! She laughed and said that if my
supervisor gave her any lip and complained about me not coming in,
she would tell her to drive down to get me, in her Iroc-Z (her
"baby"), and wait for her to call when she slid off the road!

LOL!

We had a good laugh at my supervisor's expense. Needless to say, said
supervisor wasn't there very much longer bg

I checked my former office this morning just for fun. Yes, they closed.
However, several someones from my old department will be monitoring a pager
all day; someone else the department email all day; someone else voicemail
all day. Considering I was the senior-most person in the dept, I nearly
always got tapped for one or more of the above duties due to 'inclement
weather'. Now I can laugh and say, "Hmmmm, it's nasty outside! And I don't
have to do anything but snuggle with my cat!" EBG Sometimes unemployment
has vast rewards.

Jill

Old December 23rd 04, 08:47 PM
Mathew Kagis

Here in the mountains of western Canada, there is nos such thing as too much
snow. When it starts to really come down, we sharpen & wax our skis... Then
get up early to get first chair at the hill. :-)
--
Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat

Old December 24th 04, 12:15 AM
Tanada

Cheryl wrote:

WOW! All of that fell amazingly fast! We're getting what's left of
all that weather (in MD) but its 52F (11C) here, so it's all rain.
Stay safe guys!

Same here, except that at 7:15 pm it is 65F here. Supposedly the rain
is supposed to leave during the night and bring us clear weather. I
haven't checked the forecast on Weatherbug, but I suspect that we'll be
in the 40s or 50s for Christmas day.

Pam S.

Old December 24th 04, 11:31 AM
polonca12000

Lots of purrs and best wishes for everyone affected,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
It's stopped snowing here in Scottsburg, Indiana. It turns out we were
in the middle of the heaviest snow band. snip

Old December 24th 04, 01:20 PM
Jeanne Hedge

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:25:53 -0500, Jeanne Hedge
wrote:

It's stopped snowing here in Scottsburg, Indiana. It turns out we were
in the middle of the heaviest snow band. I haven't heard a completely
official snowfall total yet, but local news is reporting 34 inches (a
bit over 86 cm) of snow on the ground with 5 foot (1.52 m) drifts. The
county has declared a State of Emergency, and the local radio station
is broadcasting calls for people to lend 4-wheel drive vehicles to the
local police so they can get around.

snippage

Hey, it's gotten even better! The electricity went out overnight
(judging by clocks, somewhere about 6AM), and the outside temperature
is somewhere around 0F. (brrrrrrrrrr) Fortunately, the power was only
out about 2 hours before it came back on again. Amazing how fast it
gets cold inside a house with no heat and those kinds of temps
outside. Makes me feel even more for the homeless.

Our road still isn't plowed. Our front and back doors are still
drifted in, although we have been able to clear enough snow that no
snow is directly in contact with the doors themselves. We got enough
of the driveway dug out yesterday to be able to get the pickup truck
out (maybe), but the 2 cars are still stuck (1 in the garage, 1
buried).

Use a snowblower? What snowblower? Nobody around here has anything
like that - normally it would never be used!

Natasha continues to deal with this like a real trouper, which is to
say she's happy as long as she has her food, water and litter box, and
is then able to nap the rest of the day away.

Wish I could, but there's a shovel waiting with my name on it.

Old December 24th 04, 03:49 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-24, Jeanne Hedge penned:

Hey, it's gotten even better! The electricity went out overnight (judging
by clocks, somewhere about 6AM), and the outside temperature is somewhere
around 0F. (brrrrrrrrrr) Fortunately, the power was only out about 2 hours
before it came back on again. Amazing how fast it gets cold inside a house
with no heat and those kinds of temps outside. Makes me feel even more for
the homeless.

Eek. Do you have any alternate means of heat?

Just occured to me that I should look into this. Our gas fireplace isn't
working at the moment, and anyway, I'm sure it couldn't warm a house. There
has been one day so far when the heater in the house couldn't seem to keep up
with the cold; I can't imagine how could it would get if it weren't on at all.

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!

No Snow! No Snow! No Snow! Pat Cat anecdotes 9 December 26th 04 03:39 AM
I guess she's NOT a snow kitten! Dan M Cat anecdotes 6 December 2nd 04 06:43 PM
Snow!!! Karen Cat anecdotes 7 December 11th 03 04:30 AM
Snow.. "What is THAT?!" Stacey Cat anecdotes 2 November 30th 03 09:43 PM
Snow! Marina Cat anecdotes 12 October 28th 03 09:56 PM