Kitty going for a swim?

Old May 3rd 05, 04:19 AM
Tim Hogard

Default Kitty going for a swim?

Today my kitty Piper went for a bit of a swim. She was chasing a
bug and decided to jump up on the edge of the hot tub. She wasn't
quite sure of her grip so she used her claws which don't work on
fiberglass. The result was a very wet cat. The hot tub is one
of the standard fiberglass stand alone things.

I had wondered if she would have a problem crawing out if she ever
fell in and it appears that she can get out with no assistance from
me. She also seems to be ok at simming as well. She hopped out
of the tub and ran right into the house and found a stack of clean
towels to sit on. I helped her dry off after a bit of a chase which
resulted in more water in the house.

In the few weeks I've had the new tub, she hasn't liked it. The
pump upsets her and she hates when the bubbles are going. When I
was filling it she did hop up and drink a bit out of it but since
the chlorine was added, she hasn't done that again. She hadn't
even walked on its cover until a few days ago. Most of the time
she will sit on the fence and watch whoever is in the tub. Until
last night.

Last night she tried to jump up on the side didn't get high enough
and then she jumped down on the side from the fence and the third
time she jumped on and walked around to where I was and put her paw
on my sholder. I gave her the signal for sit on my lap and she
looked confused and left.

I guess she was just getting used to the big noisy wet thing.
I wonder how shes going to act around it now.

After I dried her off today, I measured the chlorine leves and they
were about 1ppm which is about what some cities use for their
drinking water. The tub should have been about 3 times that. After
she got finished grooming her self, she did drink lots of fresh
water so I hope there are no ill effects.

-tim
http://web.abnormal.com

Old May 3rd 05, 11:43 AM
Alex

"Tim Hogard" wrote in message
SNIP
After I dried her off today, I measured the chlorine leves and they
were about 1ppm which is about what some cities use for their
drinking water. The tub should have been about 3 times that. After
she got finished grooming her self, she did drink lots of fresh
water so I hope there are no ill effects.

She'll be fine, but many cats are more aware of additives to drinking water
even when at safe levels. Some recommend bottled mineral water or even
captured rainwater to give for drinking although I never bother, Khamun just
gets tapwater.

Old May 3rd 05, 04:57 PM
Elizabeth Blake

"Tim Hogard" wrote in message
Today my kitty Piper went for a bit of a swim. She was chasing a
bug and decided to jump up on the edge of the hot tub. She wasn't
quite sure of her grip so she used her claws which don't work on
fiberglass. The result was a very wet cat. The hot tub is one
of the standard fiberglass stand alone things.

My cat Otto has joined me in the bathtub/shower a few times. Sometimes he
would be running around the apartment like a maniac, chasing whatever, he'd
zoom into the bathroom and dive right into the shower. One time he jumped
right back out but another time, after getting over the intital surprise, he
hung out at the end of the tub for a couple of minutes. The water wasn't
aimed that far back so he wasn't getting soaked. Mostly when he wound up in
the shower it was because he deliberately joined me. He really does like
water and seems to enjoy stepping in an inch of so of water at the end of
the tub where the shower spray doesn't hit him much. Once I turn the shower
off, he has also decided to lay down (on his side) in the water that was
left in the tub. He loves watching water go down the drain.

I had wondered if she would have a problem crawing out if she ever
fell in and it appears that she can get out with no assistance from
me. She also seems to be ok at simming as well. She hopped out
of the tub and ran right into the house and found a stack of clean
towels to sit on. I helped her dry off after a bit of a chase which
resulted in more water in the house.

That's the worst part of having a cat join you in the water. Puddles
everywhere. Otto hates for me to dry him off; he'd rather just sit on a
towel and do it himself.

--
Liz

Old May 4th 05, 01:07 AM
Tim Hogard

Elizabeth Blake ) wrote:
: My cat Otto has joined me in the bathtub/shower a few times.

Piper doesn't have any problem with water (except that hot tub).
Will will get into the bath tub if it has less than about an inch of water
in it. When shes playing in the bath tub, I'll try to
distract her so she will sit down in the water.

Last night I was holding piper near the hot tub and she wasn't
happy about it but wasn't protesting too much. I ended up
setting her down on the edge and she just looked around at the
water and then left. I expect yesterday won't be the only
time she ends up in the tub.

I've heard that the amount that cats like or hate water is a
genetic trait. Since there are some breeds that are happy to go into
water to fish, it seems likely.

-tim
http://web.abnormal.com
Old May 5th 05, 05:12 AM
bigbadbarry

Tim Hogard wrote:
Today my kitty Piper went for a bit of a swim.

Probably the equivalent of us going for a swim in winter coat,
thermals, jeans, gloves, hat, mittens, and socks no shoes.

Old May 5th 05, 02:37 PM
Lesley

When Isis (RB) was a kitten, she would jump into the bath with me and
swim round through she grew out of it later. When Sarrasine was a
kitten, water fascinated her and she would get in the bath when I
turned the taps on and watch the water coming towards her and if she
was feeling very brave, she would cautiously dip her paws in it and
even paddle a little.

Redunzel, Speedy Joe(MIA must be RB now) and Fugazi (RB) all loathed
water especially in baths. One of the oddest and funniest things I ever
saw was this....

Isis and Fugazi were both small kittens and were having a big play
fight, Isis had the upper hand and had Fugazi on the run so she
galloped towards the bath. If the bath was empty it was a good place to
defend herself....alas it was full.....and Fugazi was in mid leap when
she realised....

Ever seen a cat go backwards in mid air? I don't know how she did it
but she had all four feet off the ground when she did and suddenly she
just went backwards!!!!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old May 5th 05, 04:09 PM
bigbadbarry

Lesley wrote:

Ever seen a cat go backwards in mid air? I don't know how she did it
but she had all four feet off the ground when she did and suddenly

she
just went backwards!!!!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I would have like to seen that, you could have won 1st prize on the
funniest animal videos.

Old May 6th 05, 02:36 PM
Lesley

I would have like to seen that, you could have won 1st prize on the
funniest animal videos

Alas as per usual when cats do the things that could win 1st prize on
funny animal video shows you don't have a camera handy.

I'm sure everyone's had this conversation:- "Oh look! Isn't that funny!
Quick grab a camera!"" then a minute or so later "Come on, kitty, do
that again! You were doing it a minute ago!"

I sometimes wonder whether switching on a video camera might be a
useful deterrent for when cats are doing something they don't want to
do.

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous (and apparently camera shy) Furballs

Flexible Kitty Fat Freddy Cat anecdotes 38 November 19th 04 06:09 AM
Fisticuffs Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 18 November 18th 04 12:40 PM
Bad Kitty Day Bobcat Cat anecdotes 3 October 24th 04 06:24 PM
Picture of my kitty..... Gandalf Cat anecdotes 22 May 8th 04 04:43 PM
A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM