[OT] Makeup

Old April 28th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Makeup

"Singh" wrote in message
Catholic school nightmare!!! We were allowed to start wearing makeup to
school
after the age of twelve or seventh grade...on condition that eye shadow be
blue,
the whole blue, and nothing but the blue. So help me God, I can no longer
wear
blue!

The Anglican school I attended didn't allow any makeup in school. No
eye-makeup or
nail polish. We wore school uniform that must not be too short. I know
another girls school
didn't even allow its students to perm their hair.
Of course things probably are a lot different now.

Winnie

Blessed be,
Baha

Old April 28th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Makeup

Yowie wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Well, why *would* anyone want a dark line drawn around their
lips? Unless you're a clown I suppose.
I thought make-up was supposed to enhance what you already have.
I just
don't see the purpose for ring-around-the-lips.

I'm not sure that makeup is supposed to be anything in particular.
Some use it to enhance their features, other use it for different
kinds of effects. Lip liner is a style. It may not be a style you
like (evidently, you don't), but lots of women think it looks
great. I don't have a strong opinion either way.

Joyce

On second thought, what you're saying is true. Evidenced by the
number
of people I see in the mall with black lipstick!! But they're still
creepy-looking.
OTOH, I think the first tube of lipstick I bought as a teen was white
frost. We thought that looked good.

My first lipstick was that pink stuff with blue frosting through it.
It came with matching nail polish. I thought I as hot stuff back
then. The second lipstick I ever bought was that magic stuff tha was
green in the tube but went pink on your skin. Now that tuff was
almost imossible to wash off, which meant my mother found out I had
been wearing lipstick. I swore that it was my friend's and never wore
that stuff again. Now she nags me for *not* wearing makup. Mothers!

Yowie

LOL My mom used to bug me, saying "You don't need to put on makeup" before
we went somewhere. I kept telling her I looked better with a little makeup
on. One day when I was in my 20's she picked me up to go shopping and I
wasn't wearing makeup. We were driving along and she looked at me and said,
"You know, you really *do* look better with makeup on!"

Jill

Old April 28th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

W. Leong wrote:
"Singh" wrote in message

Catholic school nightmare!!! We were allowed to start wearing makeup to
school
after the age of twelve or seventh grade...on condition that eye shadow be
blue,
the whole blue, and nothing but the blue. So help me God, I can no longer
wear
blue!

The Anglican school I attended didn't allow any makeup in school. No
eye-makeup or
nail polish. We wore school uniform that must not be too short. I know
another girls school
didn't even allow its students to perm their hair.
Of course things probably are a lot different now.

Winnie

When I was at school in the middle 1970's short skirts were rather out
of fashion, so we all wanted to wear long ones. Of course the school
wouldn't allow that - they'd complain if your skirt was too long! It
wasn't a religious school. It was all about control for the sake of
control.

Old April 28th 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Debra wrote:
wrote:
Actually, sun protection is the single best thing you can do for your
skin, and most foundations don't provide any kind of sun protection.

Theresa

With English, Scots, and Irish blood in me I have "very pale peach or
burnt to a crisp skin." I've got no choice but to use sunblock.
Without it I burn in 15 minutes of summer sun, and it's no fun being a
red and crispy critter. Folks can easily forget that a tan might mean
skin cancer later in life, but those who sunburn easily rarely forget
the pain involved in sunburn and usually remember to put on the
sunblock. My fav variety is waterproof, unscented or very low in
scent, and spf 30+.
Debra in VA

My family history is basically all Scottish (couldn't tell that by my last
name, could you? LOL) I have very fair skin and like you, I burn at the
drop of a hat. Now even though my Dad is also a Scot, he had black hair and
a sort of olive complexion. He tanned very easily and darkly. After it was
discovered so much sun wasn't good for you, he still refused to use
sunscreen when he was out playing golf or working in the garden. And yes,
he's had several cancerous spots removed from his face in his later years.

Jill

Old April 28th 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Singh wrote:
Doesn't Shoppers Drug Mart carry Revlon? Could have sworn they did.
At least the ones between Buffalo and Toronto, I've seen Revlon in
Shoppers!

I can find it in Walgreen's and Rite Aid drug stores.

Jill

"W. Leong" wrote:

"Kathryn" wrote in message

When I was a teenager my mum didn't really wear makeup and didn't
teach me so I was never into it. Once I started working and had
some money to play with it I started loving it. I wear makeup every
day now and the best word there is play - while there are styles of
clothes I would never wear with makeup I have endless choice!

A couple of suggestions - if you aren't used to wearing it and
might feel uncomfortable go for something very neutral. If you feel
like your face is dirty wearing foundation try a tinted
moisturiser. I have one from
clinique that is gorgeous - its not cheap but not too expensive
(about $40 AUD). It gives me coverage but doesn't feel as heavy as
foundation. I've had compliments when I've worn it!

Clinque also has Almost Makeup SPF 15. I use this one and the
sunscreen is
a plus.

Definitaly try one of the counters at a department store. The ones
I've been too have never been too much in sales mode - I guess it
can depend on the salesperson. Look for someone who is wearing
makeup with the kind of look you would like and ask her what she is
wearing. A friend that I studied with at uni worked part time at
the Revlon counter in the department store in the city and her boss
would often tell her she wasn't wearing enough makeup. But lots of
customers would ask her what she used because she had a very
natural look. Plus she's gorgeous and doesn't need much anyway! She
models part time now.

You have Revlon counter in department stores? I haven't seen them
here in Canada.
Here Revlon is available in drug stores along with brands like Cover
Girl. I think their
prices are lower than other cosmetic which have their own counters in
department stores.

Winnie

Kathryn

Old April 28th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Singh wrote:
My apologies. I seem to have missed that part of it. I don't think any
department store in the States does Revlon. Not where I live anyway;
I can get a lipstick with my prescriptions or a carton of milk. Sorry
I misunderstood!

Blessed be,
Baha

Some department stores used to, though. I worked in a department store in
1978-1980 (that's where I met my LLL the first time around!) and there was a
Revlon counter.

Jill

"W. Leong" wrote:

"Singh" wrote in message
Doesn't Shoppers Drug Mart carry Revlon? Could have sworn they did.
At least the
ones between Buffalo and Toronto, I've seen Revlon in Shoppers!

Yes they do carry Revlon. But Shoppers Drug Mart isn't a department
store, but a drug store.
That's what I meant by my previous post about Revlon available in
drug stores. We don't have a Revlon counter in a department store
like the Bay
or Sears.
Not like other cosmetic lines such as Lancome which has its
own counters. I was responding to the previous post about

Old April 28th 06, 07:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"W. Leong" wrote in message
.. .

"Singh" wrote in message
Catholic school nightmare!!! We were allowed to start wearing makeup to
school
after the age of twelve or seventh grade...on condition that eye shadow
be blue,
the whole blue, and nothing but the blue. So help me God, I can no longer
wear
blue!

The Anglican school I attended didn't allow any makeup in school. No
eye-makeup or
nail polish. We wore school uniform that must not be too short. I know
another girls school
didn't even allow its students to perm their hair.
Of course things probably are a lot different now.

Winnie

As a refuge from a similar strict school, I have to wonder what they would
do if a student turned up with permed hair.

We were all very good at rolling up skirts from the waistband after we'd
passed inspection. Also at wearing such things as jeans rolled up to the
knee or even baby doll pajamas covered up with a rain coat. I think the
adults were afraid to ask us what we had on under those coats.

Jo