Rat Poison in food recalled according to local news

Old March 25th 07, 08:45 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

Default Rat Poison in food recalled according to local news

"Barnabas Collins" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 23:18:18 -0700, "William Graham"
wrote:

I wonder if we get the gluten from China, or just the wheat, and then we
make the gluten here.....It strikes me that we should be sending wheat to
china, and not getting wheat from China.....Doesn't the US make more wheat
than like, everybody?

Could this be a case where they don't want US wheat?

Bear in mind there are people in countries who would
rather starve then eat food from the US....they're too
scared of the aditives that are put into the food.

Additives they are convinced are not safe.

That could be, but we are talking about a commercial product here....And one
consumed by animals at that. I doubt if petty anti-American sentiments would
interfere in anyone's prospects of making money......

Old March 25th 07, 08:55 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"Barnabas Collins" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 03:12:48 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Barnabas Collins" wrote in message
I'd point out the same thing happened to Tylenol and they survived.

And it did usher in a new era of safety measures for the entire drug and
food industry. It's highly likely this current pet food fiasco will do the
same thing. There's just too much big business money involved for them not
to.

It also ushered in a rash of product contamination cases, some even in
sealed containers.

Bear in mind there are products that have several seals
on the package and the bad guys have still been
able to contaminate them.

Bear in mind this moist food is already in sealed cans or sealed
pouches.

Yes, and this is precisely why the contamination didn't happen anywhere in
the distribution system, or at the retail level. It had to take place either
in the factory, or before that, at the ingredient level. I think they
already know that it was in the wheat gluten that they get from China....

Old March 25th 07, 08:58 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Barnabas Collins" wrote in message

(I'm fortunate that all my cats only do dry food. My oldest has
never tolerated moist food.)

Yes, I'm lucky in that regard too. I feed my cat the Iams multicat dry cat
chow and that's all she will eat. Of course, that doesn't prevent her from
inspecting every bit of food that I eat, but I can live with that.

I wonder why they don't put "wheat gluten" in dry cat food? Or, if they do,
why doesn't it come from China too? Or, if it does, why isn't it
contaminated too? Or, if it is, why doesn't it make cats sick too? Or, if it
does, why don't they know it too? Or, if they do, why haven't they told us
about it?

Old March 25th 07, 09:04 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Lisa" wrote in message

The US is importing an increasing amount of food from abroad,
especially from places with much lower safety standards, like Chile
and Mexico. I think people ought to rethink this dangerous policy.

Your life and your loved ones lives are at stake.

What is the alternative? Manufacturing sufficient food on the North
American
continent for the North American public is probably impossible within a
realistic time frame and if it was possible, it would probably more than
triple the cost of what we pay now for food. Do you really think the
general
public would sit still for that? The truth is that we're too greedy and
selfish of a society deny ourselves the luxuries with have.

You may be speaking about the luxury to kill ourselves......I like foreign
food as much as the next person....I eat cheese from France and Denmark,
olive oil from Italy, caviar imported from Iran, and a host of other foreign
stuff. But I also pay my government a hell of a lot in taxes to police all
that stuff and make sure it doesn't contain rat poison. Obviously, my
government carries out this duty like they do everything else.....NOT!!

Old March 25th 07, 09:33 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
22brix

"William Graham" wrote in message

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Barnabas Collins" wrote in message

(I'm fortunate that all my cats only do dry food. My oldest has
never tolerated moist food.)

Yes, I'm lucky in that regard too. I feed my cat the Iams multicat dry
cat
chow and that's all she will eat. Of course, that doesn't prevent her
from
inspecting every bit of food that I eat, but I can live with that.

I wonder why they don't put "wheat gluten" in dry cat food? Or, if they
do, why doesn't it come from China too? Or, if it does, why isn't it
contaminated too? Or, if it is, why doesn't it make cats sick too? Or, if
it does, why don't they know it too? Or, if they do, why haven't they told
us about it?

I believe Menu Foods only makes wet food. I have several different types of
pet food in the house--dry and canned/pouched, none of them on the recall
list. I've read a lot of labels in the past several days and in looking at
what I have, none of the canned products have wheat gluten (or any wheat
product, for that matter). Most of the dry food I have does contain wheat
gluten--it's hard to know what to feed them!

Old March 25th 07, 10:03 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"Upscale" wrote in message

[...]

Yes. - I have been feeding them roasted whole body chickens....I can get
them on sale for 69 cents a pound, and I take them home and cook them, and
then cut them up for the cats. I also feed them canned people tuna fish. The
problem is, they are outside cats, and I haven't any control over what the
neighbors feed them....So, I am watching them closely for signs that they
are sick......

Old March 25th 07, 10:05 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Hey

"Barnabas Collins" wrote in message:
Bear in mind there are people in countries who would
rather starve then eat food from the US....they're too
scared of the aditives that are put into the food.
Additives they are convinced are not safe.

Bear in mind I could give a rat's ass what some foreign
asshole thinks of USA food. Let them eat the contaminated
**** that is grown in their own country.

Old March 25th 07, 10:11 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"Hey" wrote in message

"Barnabas Collins" wrote in message:
Bear in mind there are people in countries who would
rather starve then eat food from the US....they're too
scared of the aditives that are put into the food.
Additives they are convinced are not safe.

Bear in mind I could give a rat's ass what some foreign
asshole thinks of USA food. Let them eat the contaminated
**** that is grown in their own country.

Yeah, and they've got a hell of a nerve complaining. The wheat, corn,
alfalfa, and soya beans we grow in our Midwest has been feeding all the cows
and people in this world for like a hundred years now.....If they didn't
like it, they would have starved to death a long time ago. I wish they
had....The old saying, "No good deed goes unpunished" is just as true today
as it was 100 years ago.......

Old March 25th 07, 10:13 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"William Graham" wrote in message
. ..

"Hey" wrote in message

"Barnabas Collins" wrote in message:
Bear in mind there are people in countries who would
rather starve then eat food from the US....they're too
scared of the aditives that are put into the food.
Additives they are convinced are not safe.

Bear in mind I could give a rat's ass what some foreign
asshole thinks of USA food. Let them eat the contaminated
**** that is grown in their own country.

Yeah, and they've got a hell of a nerve complaining. The wheat, corn,
alfalfa, and soya beans we grow in our Midwest has been feeding all the
cows and people in this world for like a hundred years now.....If they
didn't like it, they would have starved to death a long time ago. I wish
they had....The old saying, "No good deed goes unpunished" is just as true
today as it was 100 years ago.......

The least they should have to do is say a prayer for President Bush before
every meal....:^)

Old March 26th 07, 01:35 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nicolaas Hawkins

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 12:58:34 -0700, William Graham
wrote in :

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Barnabas Collins" wrote in message

(I'm fortunate that all my cats only do dry food. My oldest has
never tolerated moist food.)

Yes, I'm lucky in that regard too. I feed my cat the Iams multicat dry cat
chow and that's all she will eat. Of course, that doesn't prevent her from
inspecting every bit of food that I eat, but I can live with that.

I wonder why they don't put "wheat gluten" in dry cat food? Or, if they do,
why doesn't it come from China too? Or, if it does, why isn't it
contaminated too? Or, if it is, why doesn't it make cats sick too? Or, if it
does, why don't they know it too? Or, if they do, why haven't they told us
about it?

Ever wondered why wondering doesn't cost money? You'd be in the
poor-house if it did.