Can you USA-ers answer a question? (OT)

Old December 28th 06, 11:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
meeee

Default Can you USA-ers answer a question? (OT)

Sorry to be a pest, but i've heard references to this for ages and always
wondered why....are you not allowed white shoes after Labour Day?? It's
piqued my interest for ages, but I keep forgetting to ask. We have no such
custom I've ever heard of down under. (we have our own weird customs
involving racing strange creatures such as cockroaches, camels, toads and
rubber ducks)

--
Excuse the typos. I have a lapful of purry Siamese. In the process of my
writing this, they have

Old December 28th 06, 11:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

meeee wrote:

Sorry to be a pest, but i've heard references to this for ages and always
wondered why....are you not allowed white shoes after Labour Day?? It's
piqued my interest for ages, but I keep forgetting to ask.

It's just a fashion convention, and a mostly outmoded one at that.
Saying they're "not allowed" is drastically overstating the case.

The custom was that one should wear white shoes only during the summer,
which officially starts on Memorial Day (holiday commemorating service
people killed in war), which is at the end of May, and ends on Labor Day,
which is at the beginning of September. In some circles, it was seen as
a faux pas (perhaps literally ) to wear white shoes in the wrong season.

I've always thought it was a weird and non-useful tradition, so I've
never paid much attention to it. But I don't think it was something
observed much by my generation (baby boom) - my mother used to remark
about it, at first seriously, but later, more facetiously.

Joyce
Old December 28th 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
meeee

wrote in message
meeee wrote:

[...]

Ah now I understand!! So it's an etiquette type thing that 'people like us'
observe. That's very interesting, you've satisfied my curiosity! Thanks

Old December 28th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

meeee wrote:
wrote in message
meeee wrote:

[...]

I also think it depends upon your climate. In Hawaii, where it's warm all
year-round, anything goes. In a colder climate, say....Minnesota, dark
clothes in winter used to be the "norm". With dark clothes, you wear dark
shoes. I agree with Joyce, that it's a completely outdated tradition.

kili

Old December 28th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

"kilikini" wrote in message
meeee wrote:
wrote in message
meeee wrote:

[...]

Plus, in colder climates, all the slush and mud caused by melting snow
showed up on white shoes much more than dark shoes. I watch "What Not To
Wear" on the Lifetime channel (they're supposed to be the last word on
what's fashionable and what's not) and they say that this fashion "rule" is
no longer in effect.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 28th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

meeee wrote:

Sorry to be a pest, but i've heard references to this for ages and always
wondered why....are you not allowed white shoes after Labour Day?? It's
piqued my interest for ages, but I keep forgetting to ask. We have no such
custom I've ever heard of down under. (we have our own weird customs
involving racing strange creatures such as cockroaches, camels, toads and
rubber ducks)

Ummm.... "not ALLOWED"???? SFAIK, that's one of the
outmoded fashion dos-and-don'ts that most people observe
only if they feel like it. (They got around the one about
not wearing white clothing - other than shirts - by
inventing a shade called "winter white".)

There may have been a practical reason for the white shoe
edict, simply in the interests of keeping them reasonably
clean. Cold weather can set in fairly early in some parts
of the U.S., it tends to rain a lot in the autumn, and back
in the days when coal was the main source of fuel for
heating buildings, rain + soot from coal smoke = very dirty
shoes.
Old December 28th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

My guess is that the custom originated in a part of the country where autumn
gets chilly and wet, and wearing white shoes is asking for trouble when it's
muddy. I also think it started with shoes and then extended to anything else
white.

Blessed be,
Baha

Old December 28th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
meeee

Ah I understand now. So your Labour Day is kind of the end of
summer/beginning of mud and unpleasantness. I thought it must be some kind
of strange political statement !! Labour Day in Oz is about politics so
hence my confusion...I can understand the mud/white shoes problem....having
very little snow or mud here it's not an issue!! Thanks, everyone

Old December 28th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

meeee wrote:

Ah I understand now. So your Labour Day is kind of the end of
summer/beginning of mud and unpleasantness. I thought it must be some kind
of strange political statement !! Labour Day in Oz is about politics so
hence my confusion...I can understand the mud/white shoes problem....having
very little snow or mud here it's not an issue!! Thanks, everyone

Once upon a time, Labor Day was a political holiday in the US, too.
But, as with all holidays in the US, it has become mostly an excuse
to (1) have a long weekend, (2) spend money, (3) go on vacation, and
(4) spend money. Oh, did I mention spend money, too?

Joyce
Old December 28th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:
meeee wrote:

[...]

Heh. In my growing up years, Easter was the official date the white
shoes could come out, but MUST be closeted along with straw & white
handbags the moment Labor Day was over. I assume this also applied to
men, who wore those hideous white shoes and belts in the late
60's-70's.
I still can't wear white shoes or sandals after Labor Day. Like Erma
Bombeck once said, I never really knew exactly what would happen, but I
rather fancied Macy's would fly their flag at half-mast or something.

Sherry