FW: Rob & Pam update (16th March)

Old March 16th 07, 09:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default FW: Rob & Pam update (16th March)

(Forwarded from Catslaves)

Sorry not to update this earlier. Rob came home on Friday the 9th. We have
been really busy working with the hospice people and getting things done.
Good/bad news Rob has finally been declared at 100% disability, because he
is dying. I originally thought this would increase our income by about
$700, but it will be going up from $1800 from combined VA/Military
retirement to $3200 VA. Rob will still get his social security payments.
So we'll have about $4400 a month to cover the expenses, and they are many.
We have also been put in for house modifications and a Wheel chair
accessable van. I'm not holding my breath on either one. The current house
modifications have come to $2400 thanks to the honesty and decency of our
carpenter.

We will also be getting a settlement from the VA for all that money they
didn't send Rob. It will cover our overdue bills and put a screen porch on
the back of the house. The honest carpenter says that he can give me a 13'
by 20' feet screened in porch that will be wedded to the house for $10,000.
That works for me. Our living room is 13' by 22', and we manage with that.
The rest of the settlement will cover a van if the VA doesn't come through.
We're looking at getting WiFi at the house since we have a floating
population of around 4-6 lap tops in action at any one time. I can live
with that.

We're managing ok. It really hit me when I walked into my bedroom and found
a single sized hospital bed where I used to have an old beat up queen bed.
I've moved into the library/Mike's room and am slowly becoming accustomed to
sleeping alone. I doubt if I'll ever enjoy it, though.

Rob is doing ok, and better with physical motion daily. I had to tell him
that I was going to have him put on night restraints if he didn't stop
sneaking off to the bathroom without someone spotting him so that he didn't
fall. The hardest part is that he wants to just lay in bed doing nothing.
Today his CNA and I dragged him out to the dining room to play Heximos
(hexigon shaped dominoes). Tomorrow, if the cold front and its rain doesn't
come through, she plans on getting him outside. I just don't want him to
give up.

Love to all, purrs and thanks to everyone,
Pam S.

OOPS! Forgot to ask, could someone post the update in RPCA? Am at the
library for up to two more weeks, but then I'll have some of this
straightened out.

(Posted b Yowie on Pam's behalf)

--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old March 16th 07, 10:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Default Rob & Pam update (16th March)

Yowie wrote:
(Forwarded from Catslaves)

Hugs and purrs just don't seem enough, I don't know what to say. :-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old March 16th 07, 10:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

On Mar 16, 5:08?am, "Adrian A" wrote:
Yowie wrote:
(Forwarded from Catslaves)

Hugs and purrs just don't seem enough, I don't know what to say. :-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.http://community.webshots.com/user/clowderuk

So glad Rob is home. Purrs that the financial stuff works out so that
you can focus on each other.
Suz&Spicey

Old March 16th 07, 11:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Adrian A wrote:
Hugs and purrs just don't seem enough, I don't know what to say. :-)

Pam is the most remarkable person I've had the pleasure of getting to
know online. She's shown incredible courage in the face of a horrible
tragedy. What an inspiration!
Purrs for Rob and his entire family, may he die with dignity and
surrounded by those who love him.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 16th 07, 11:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley via CatKB.com

Yowie wrote:
(Forwarded from Catslaves)

Sorry not to update this earlier.

I just wish there was something I could do to make things better

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old March 16th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Adrian A wrote:
Yowie wrote:
(Forwarded from Catslaves)

Hugs and purrs just don't seem enough, I don't know what to say. :-)

That was meant to be, I don't know what to say. :-(

Old March 16th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Yowie" wrote in message
(Forwarded from Catslaves)

Sorry not to update this earlier. Rob came home on Friday the 9th. We
have been really busy working with the hospice people and getting things
done. Good/bad news Rob has finally been declared at 100% disability,
because he is dying. I originally thought this would increase our income
by about $700, but it will be going up from $1800 from combined
VA/Military retirement to $3200 VA. Rob will still get his social
security payments. So we'll have about $4400 a month to cover the
expenses, and they are many.

I'm so glad they have finally got the financial stuff straightened out.
Sooner would have been better, but now is better than later.

And I'm picturing Rob getting outside and that helping to lift his spirits.
The last few weeks have to have been really depressing for him both mentally
and physically. May he find the strength to fight it.

Jo

Old March 16th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral

On Mar 16, 10:16 am, "jofirey" wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message

[...]

Indeed. I hope there will be some happy times for Rob and Pam yet
before the end. And thank heavens the income is going UP instead of
down at this awful time. No amount of money could make this situation
okay, but an easing of financial worries is one less thing to worry
about. Purrs that Rob will indeed be able to die at home surrounded
by his family and loved ones.

Melissa