A scary night

Old June 6th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Default A scary night

Last week the weather radios I ordered finally arrived. Wednesday night I
set one up and plugged it in up in the bedroom. Just before midnight the
siren goes off, warning us of a severe storm warning. Another at 1:30.
Another at 2, and one at 2:30. Made for a long day yesterday.

Last night was more interesting. Around 11 PM the radio alerted us to a
tornado watch. A little after midnight it went off again with a tornado
warning. This time the voice alert said there was a tornado on the ground
in Lamb's Grove, with another expected to arrive in 5 minutes.

Oh - Lamb's Grove is *here*! It's sort of like West Newton. That's maybe
two miles away. I went upstairs and got Nancy to head downstairs with
blankets and an armful of cats, I put on some clothes and grabbed an
armful of cats, and we all headed down to the basement. As we reached the
basement stairs the town tornado sirens started going off.

Some of the cats were quite incensed at having their sleep disrupted. Cleo
in particular seemed to be saying "you silly humans, it's just a little
wind!" Ranger thought it was a great opportunity to play, and helped us
with everything we did. Harri expected us both to be petting her since we
were all together. Amelia looked worried - the basement is HER storm
hideaway, and having it crowded with everybody else did not please her.
Sammy and Tabitha were hiding, but they spend a lot of time doing that.

I e-mailed a handful of people from the basement (the storm didn't
interrupt our DSL service), then after we had been down there for 10 or 15
minutes the winds passed. The town sirens had shut off so we let everybody
out of the basement. Amelia stayed down there for a while, just to make
sure.

We checked both the front and back yards, and we didn't receive any
damage. The only sign that anything at all happened was that both of our
back yard lawn chairs had been flipped over.

Old June 6th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Daniel Mahoney wrote:
Oh - Lamb's Grove is *here*! It's sort of like West Newton. That's maybe
two miles away. I went upstairs and got Nancy to head downstairs with

That's very scary... We live at the very edge of tornado territory, but
we're still vulnerable. And there are no basements here, it would be
cost prohibitive, considering you would hit solid limestone a couple of
feet below the surface.

Question about the weather radios. Can you configure them so they only
alarm if there is a tornado warning?

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 6th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Daniel Mahoney" wrote in message
news
[...]

Glad everybody is all right.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old June 6th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

"Victor Martinez" wrote

| Question about the weather radios. Can you configure them so they only
| alarm if there is a tornado warning?

Same Q. If yes, I may have to get one myself. But if they're like the email
alerts, forget about it, I don't need to be awakened for every Flash Flood
Alert!

BTW how does the west end of town look today?

Old June 6th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lorraine

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 08:50:11 -0500, Daniel Mahoney
wrote:

Last night was more interesting. Around 11 PM the radio alerted us to a
tornado watch. A little after midnight it went off again with a tornado
warning. This time the voice alert said there was a tornado on the ground
in Lamb's Grove, with another expected to arrive in 5 minutes.

Oh - Lamb's Grove is *here*! It's sort of like West Newton. That's maybe
two miles away. I went upstairs and got Nancy to head downstairs with
blankets and an armful of cats, I put on some clothes and grabbed an
armful of cats, and we all headed down to the basement. As we reached the
basement stairs the town tornado sirens started going off

You should train your kitties to go to the basement when the sirens go
off. Some of mine are -- as long as the windows are open. If the house
is closed up, they don't get too excited. Indie won't come out of her
bedroom without being forced, so I would still have to get her. I
haven't had to do that yet. I can see me trying to get her out from
under the bed, and I'll probably end up with a lot of claw and bite
marks.

After listening to two days of gloom and doom predictions, I decided to
actually get prepared for a tornado last night. I got the cat carriers
rounded up. I charged up my CPAP battery. I changed my working CPAP
out to the one that I have set up for battery. I took cat food to the
basement. I charged up our weather radio/flash light combo thingy. I
put our trash dumpster in the garage. I put my kitten planter in the
garage, and my big kitty planter under the overhang of the house. (It's
too big for me to carry to the garage.) I made sure the area under the
basement stairs was accessible, and cleaned out enough to actually get
into it. I took other things I considered important last night to the
basement.

And then I waited...... There were all kinds of rotations and warnings
within 50 miles west of us, but by the time it got to us, it was pretty
much fizzled out. We had some wind and rain, but no hail and no
tornados. Some in other parts of town lost electricity but not a lot.
Sadly, many of the areas in Kansas that got hit the worst last night,
were also hit several nights ago with softball size hail.

Lorraine
Old June 7th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

That's very scary... We live at the very edge of tornado territory, but
we're still vulnerable. And there are no basements here, it would be
cost prohibitive, considering you would hit solid limestone a couple of
feet below the surface.

Question about the weather radios. Can you configure them so they only
alarm if there is a tornado warning?

The one we've got allows you to block the alerts you don't want. EXCEPT
- there's a bunch of alerts that are non-blockable. If you block
everything you can, you still get tornado warnings and watches, flood
warnings and watches, etc.
Old June 7th 08, 03:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Daniel Mahoney" wrote in message
That's very scary... We live at the very edge of tornado territory, but
we're still vulnerable. And there are no basements here, it would be
cost prohibitive, considering you would hit solid limestone a couple of
feet below the surface.

Question about the weather radios. Can you configure them so they only
alarm if there is a tornado warning?

The one we've got allows you to block the alerts you don't want. EXCEPT
- there's a bunch of alerts that are non-blockable. If you block
everything you can, you still get tornado warnings and watches, flood
warnings and watches, etc.

The flash flood warnings are the ones I'd want to be able to block. There
are a lot of places in the surrounding area that are subject to flash floods
darn near every time it rains. But we aren't.

I do like the weatherbug announcements though. I don't always notice the
winds until stuff starts blowing off down the street.

We finally lost a patio table top a couple of nights ago. Calm when we went
to bed and I wasn't paying attention to the notices. Left the sun umbrella
open and that gave it lift off.

Jo

Old June 7th 08, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Daniel Mahoney wrote:
Last night was more interesting. Around 11 PM the radio alerted us to
a tornado watch. A little after midnight it went off again with a
tornado warning. This time the voice alert said there was a tornado
on the ground in Lamb's Grove, with another expected to arrive in 5
minutes.

I finally had to turn off my NOAA radio. It was getting annoying. Tornados
are so commonplace down here I'd frankly rather worry about something else.
I will say that Persia was quite the good kitty the last time one was
spotted practically in my back yard. She hunkered down between the toilet
and the bathtub. Don't have a basement so it was the safest place for her
to be.

Jill

Old June 7th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Jofirey" wrote in message

The flash flood warnings are the ones I'd want to be able to block. There
are a lot of places in the surrounding area that are subject to flash
floods darn near every time it rains. But we aren't.

I do like the weatherbug announcements though. I don't always notice the
winds until stuff starts blowing off down the street.

We finally lost a patio table top a couple of nights ago. Calm when we
went to bed and I wasn't paying attention to the notices. Left the sun
umbrella open and that gave it lift off.

We lost our patio table about two years ago. The wind in a major wind storm
lifted it up and shattered the glass in it. Heavy brown glass everywhere.
We don't have room to put it right now anyway, Rob's wheel chair ramp covers
all but a strip about four feet wide of the patio.

Pam S. trying to see the bright side of all the losses.

Old June 7th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 6, 8:50*am, Daniel Mahoney wrote:
[...]

We got a phone call and the caller ID said it was from the Sheriff's
office. Scared me.
Turned out to be part of the enhanced-911 system we just got. The
phone call
was telling us to go to the cellar. Pffft. I suppose that's okay,
since we
can't hear the sirens, but it was weird.
We didn't go. I would honestly have to see a tornado with my own eyes
heading
straight toward the house before I'd go down there.

Sherry

It's getting really scary now CatNipped[_2_] Cat anecdotes 15 May 4th 07 07:39 PM
It's getting really scary now! CatNipped[_2_] Cat health & behaviour 6 May 2nd 07 09:01 PM
Scary episode last night KellyH Cat health & behaviour 6 June 18th 04 02:32 AM
Scary night badwilson Cat anecdotes 18 June 2nd 04 03:42 AM
It was scary John Biltz Cat anecdotes 10 December 27th 03 04:54 PM