Well, I Guess I Have A New Cat

Old August 1st 11, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default Well, I Guess I Have A New Cat

On 7/31/2011 6:19 PM, Art Shapiro wrote:
On 7/31/2011 3:03 PM, CatNipped wrote:
she just seems a bit darker and may have a
bit longer hair, but seems a beautiful Russian Blue.

Thanks for the good wishes on poor Calico, everyone. I'd say of the
roughly 18 cats I've had, she's probably #2, and one of the few that
qualified for that difficult-to-define term "special".

That quickly-snapped picture is just a little darker than reality; the
picture looks closer to black than she really is.

Watermelon has come inside, but hasn't yet noticed her. Giovanni is
still outside, but on the property sitting on the back lawn. I suspect
that Raven is too small for him to condescend to notice, so I don't
expect any issues with Giovanni.

I hope she "understands" traditional clay litter; she's housebroken but
I didn't ask what sort of litter they used. I had shown her one of the
boxes as soon as she came in, but there's no interest yet.

Art

I don't know if it holds true for everyone, but I've always found that
males tend to be more accommodating to a new comer (especially a female)
than females are. Hopefully there won't be any problems.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old August 1st 11, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
minnow

In article ,
Art Shapiro wrote:

I drove over to see the kitty after my ride today, the location being a
seaside community (Huntington Beach, CA) about fifteen miles from my
ride start/stop location. She turned out to be a quite small kitty,
super soft, and extremely friendly. She didn't even get upset at the
owner's chihuahua, about her size, who kept trying to nuzzle her.

So off we went. She started meowing rather loudly in the car, so I let
her out of the carrier. She explored my car as I drove, and finally
decided to camp out on the dashboard right in front of my face as I was
driving 75 MPH down the 405. Then, miraculously, she returned to the
carrier as I was a couple miles from home, making things really convenient.

After a small can of cat food got eagerly devoured, she decided she was
scared and hid under a bed for a half hour. All of a sudden, the house
must have been OK because she jumped on top of the bed and is now curled
up with my wife, clearly happy and purring away.

Emma is the only one who has seen her, and to my surprise only gave a
half-hearted hiss, far less aggressive than she normally is with the others.

I've taken one quick shot, not photographically superb, but here's
"Raven" sitting on a knick-knack shelf. The name probably won't stick.

http://www.ocrebels.com/Raven.jpg

I think she's going to be a real sweetie.

Art

Oh she's absolutely lovely. She looks like my Shadow, with that curious
look. Raven doesn't seem to suit such a curious and friendly cat,
certainly. I do wonder what she'll tell you her name is.

Congratulations on your new owner!

- minnow
Old August 1st 11, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

minnow wrote:

Art Shapiro wrote:

I've taken one quick shot, not photographically superb, but here's
"Raven" sitting on a knick-knack shelf. The name probably won't stick.

http://www.ocrebels.com/Raven.jpg

Oh she's absolutely lovely. She looks like my Shadow, with that curious
look. Raven doesn't seem to suit such a curious and friendly cat,
certainly.

Or such a *gray* cat.

But I don't have anything against ravens. They're amazing birds!

Joyce

--
The average, healthy, well-adjusted adult gets up at seven-thirty in
the morning feeling just terrible. -- Jean Kerr
Old August 1st 11, 01:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote in message
Art Shapiro wrote:

I've taken one quick shot, not photographically superb, but here's
"Raven" sitting on a knick-knack shelf. The name probably won't stick.

http://www.ocrebels.com/Raven.jpg

I think she's going to be a real sweetie.

She's gorgeous! She looks a little like Persia. I don't think she's
lacking in assertiveness, either.

Joyce

--

Except Persia's chubby! Raven looks quite confident sitting there

Jill

Old August 1st 11, 01:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Michael Lane

Art,

That is such as cute kitty. But to me all Gods animals are cute .

A clink of the glass to Raven, for a long, healthy life, & hope you
enjoy her many years .

best regards,

Michael Lane
n Flatrock, Tennessee

Old August 1st 11, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:58:34 -0700, Art Shapiro
wrote:

[...]

What a pretty girl... but she's too grey to be a Raven.
Old August 1st 11, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

On 31.7.2011 23:58, Art Shapiro wrote:
snip

I've taken one quick shot, not photographically superb, but here's
"Raven" sitting on a knick-knack shelf. The name probably won't stick.

http://www.ocrebels.com/Raven.jpg

I think she's going to be a real sweetie.

Congratulations on your new bluecat.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Old August 1st 11, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

On 8/1/2011 6:31 AM, Marina wrote:

Congratulations on your new bluecat.

Giovanni finally noticed her early evening and they were growling at
each other. He stalked out of the house and hasn't come home this
morning, breaking the previous record of 6:30 AM.

If I'm lucky, I'll never see him again.

Raven still hasn't (knowingly) used the cat box, but is eating up a storm.

Art

Old August 1st 11, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/1/2011 8:31 AM, Marina wrote:
On 31.7.2011 23:58, Art Shapiro wrote:
snip

I've taken one quick shot, not photographically superb, but here's
"Raven" sitting on a knick-knack shelf. The name probably won't stick.

http://www.ocrebels.com/Raven.jpg

I think she's going to be a real sweetie.

Congratulations on your new bluecat.

Hey, what about the French "Bleu" for a name?

Old August 1st 11, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , CatNipped wrote:

Hey, what about the French "Bleu" for a name?

Hmmm- with a first name of "Sacre"??? Is that appropiate for a Russian cat?
It's certainly short and easy to say.

I'll see what my wife says as we're tossing around names. She's suddenly
taken to "Niobe", after I told her that the relatively rare element Niobium
happens to be grey. But from the little bit I know, it's not a very happy
name.

Giovanni came home at 7:30 AM, setting a new record. When I went off to work,
Raven and he were sitting on the bed growing at each other, with Giovanni
having to do double duty growling at some workman up on ladders on the
adjacent house. He's never been a growler before. Some cat treats settled
him down; interestingly, Raven won't touch them and hasn't touched any dried
food yet.

And, happily, Raven used the cat box so that's one potential problem out of
the way. I was concerned about litter differences if she happened to be used
to that newfangled scoopable stuff, while I'm a traditional clay sort of guy.

I'm trying to find out if there are any vet records, and what the vaccination
status is. I reached the roommate, who said that with him being a student
there's a high probability that the cat was never given shots or routine care.
If I don't hear back in a day or two, we'll take her in and let the vet
decide what the safest actions will be.

Art