Coccidia

Old January 7th 15, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
alien from planet x

Default Coccidia

It seems that all the problems I thought my cats were
having with food making them have runny poo, has
now been diagnosed as Coccidia.

Now I have to scrub all the liter boxes and clean them
twice a day, so they don't reinfect.

I'm worried about them going outside to the places
where they potty and getting reinfected there.

Some people at the vets office told me horror stories
about how their pets got reinfected. It sounds bad.

No more banana trees. The kittens were pooing in the
containers for the banana trees, and climbing all over
them, so I cut them down and put the containers
outside in the freezing weather. I was tired of them
anyway. They were eight feet tall. I tried to give them
away, no one wanted them.

I'll keep the cats inside for at least the next five days,
while they're on medication. The weather is terrible
here anyway.

Anyone have some advice on this problem?

--
~√`π§Δ÷¥€£±{}®¿
Old January 8th 15, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 17:57:56 -0600, "alien from planet x"
wrote:

[...]

No, but that's something I'll remember. Nor will I grow banana trees.
Old January 8th 15, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/7/2015 6:57 PM, alien from planet x wrote:
It seems that all the problems I thought my cats were
having with food making them have runny poo, has
now been diagnosed as Coccidia.

Now I have to scrub all the liter boxes and clean them
twice a day, so they don't reinfect.

(snippage)

I'm glad you've got a definitive diagnosis.

Jill
Old January 8th 15, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
alien from planet x

wrote:
On 1/7/2015 6:57 PM, alien from planet x wrote:
It seems that all the problems I thought my cats were
having with food making them have runny poo, has
now been diagnosed as Coccidia.

Now I have to scrub all the liter boxes and clean them
twice a day, so they don't reinfect.

(snippage)
I'm glad you've got a definitive diagnosis.
Jill

I'm going to give these cats medicine whether they
want it or not, mostly not.

--
~√`π§Δ÷¥€£±{}®¿
Old January 8th 15, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/8/2015 2:43 PM, alien from planet x wrote:

wrote:
On 1/7/2015 6:57 PM, alien from planet x wrote:
It seems that all the problems I thought my cats were
having with food making them have runny poo, has
now been diagnosed as Coccidia.

Now I have to scrub all the liter boxes and clean them
twice a day, so they don't reinfect.

(snippage)
I'm glad you've got a definitive diagnosis.
Jill

I'm going to give these cats medicine whether they
want it or not, mostly not.

Of course you will (and of course they won't want it). Must be done,
though.

Jill
Old January 8th 15, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 1/8/2015 11:43 AM, alien from planet x wrote:

wrote:
On 1/7/2015 6:57 PM, alien from planet x wrote:
It seems that all the problems I thought my cats were
having with food making them have runny poo, has
now been diagnosed as Coccidia.

Now I have to scrub all the liter boxes and clean them
twice a day, so they don't reinfect.

(snippage)
I'm glad you've got a definitive diagnosis.
Jill

I'm going to give these cats medicine whether they
want it or not, mostly not.

Some people have success with pill pockets. My cats love the pill
pockets when they're empty, but ignore them if there's a pill inside.
To my amazement, I just finished giving a daily pill to a friend's cat
while she was away. The process is to crush the pill between two
spoons, then sprinkle the powder between two layers of gooshy food. I
didn't even have to mix it up. The little stinker ate every bid. Most
of the cats I've known have been too wiley for that, but I've never
known a cat yet who liked being given a pill. Those methods might be
worth a try. If it works with even one of your cats, it could be worth it.

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old January 8th 15, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Persia was one who loved the Greenie's pill pockets the first few times,
until she discovered there was a pill in there. Then she ate around it
and left the pill or spit it out. You definitely have to be creative
when giving cats medicine.

Jill
Old January 8th 15, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
alien from planet x

wrote:
[...]

Those look like they'd be good for pills. I had to do
an internet search to see what they are. I never
heard of those before. That's a good idea.

The medicine their taking is a liquid, in a syringe.
They run and hide all over the house. I'm not as
spry as I used to be.

--
~√`π§Δ÷¥€£±{}®¿
Old January 8th 15, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

wrote:
[...]

I understand completely. When I had to give Lindy (RB) liquid medicine,
she would make me chase her for a while. Then she'd jump up on the bed
or couch and let me give her the medicine. That wore me out. If she
hadn't cooperated at the end, it would have been much worse.

Old January 9th 15, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Actually, I had better luck with liquid, using a syringe. But yes, you
have to catch the cat first. I had good luck (once I got her in my lap)
holding her close to my side with one arm then prying open her mouth
towards the back teeth with the other. Stick the syringe in, squirt.
She swallowed.

Good luck!

Jill