We're moving into a basement...

Old October 18th 03, 08:40 PM
No1

Um...I don't see why you'd feel bad about my cats. I'm sorry, but we don't
have the money to purchase cat trees, etc. That's the main reason we're
moving in with my parents is because we can no longer afford our rent and
both are out of work. They're not outside cats, but we'll see what we can
do about sunlight and such.

They have plenty of toys and one cat cave type thingy...you know the kind
that's about thigh high, round with two holes in the side and a shelf on the
top hole? If those aren't good enough, then I'm sorry. But hey, if you
want to send me money or the cat towers that I've seen (that run $100-200)
feel free, you won't get any argument from me.

"MacCandace" wrote in message
Any thoughts? Please, please do not flame or ask us to get rid of the

pets.
We are just trying to find a happy compromise.

I would only feel bad that they won't be able to see outside very well and

most
cats like to sit in windows. Do you have those little windows that are in

some
basements with the window wells outside them? If you do, maybe you could

get a
couple high cat trees so they would be able to sort of see out those

windows a
little. Maybe you could get an aquarium or something for them to watch

for
entertainment. I would make sure you have lots of toys and cat trees for

them
so they won't get bored. Do your parents have a screened in porch or

anything
that you could let the cats go to when your parents go out? Just so they

could
see the outdoors and feel fresh air sometimes.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye

other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old October 18th 03, 08:53 PM
No1

I will apologize in advance for any "snippiness" in my writing. This isn't
easy for us, let alone the cats too. There are MANY places we could rent
for cheaper, but all of them don't allow pets. So we have to make due with
what we have. Again, I apologize.

Old October 18th 03, 09:03 PM
Justin Case

No1 wrote:
I have a question, but have looked at some of the flaming that seems to go
on here, so I am trying to quell any issues with a little background.

My wife, myself and our two cats are moving into my parent's house.
However, we're moving into the basement. It's a partially finished basement
that has heat and A/C. We will be living and sleeping down there, coming up
only to eat and use the bathroom. We're going to install a door to the
laundry room to keep them from the sump pump and washer/dryer.

Now on to the issue.

My parents are not "cat people" and would prefer that the cats stay in the
basement with us. We have no issues with that, but we are trying to figure
out the best way to keep them there. My thought is to try and have some
"two door" system...meaning they would have to get past two doors to get
upstairs. I thought of this because I know how they get sometimes when in a
smaller room and bolt past when a door is opened. They did have a door at
the top of the stairs that was removed while remodeling. I believe the door
will be going back on. So our thought is to find or construct something to
put at the bottom of the stairs that we could easily move...something
w/wheels perhaps? The stairs have walls on both sides, so I guess you could
say it's less of a basement and more of a "lower level" of what would be a
two level house.

Any thoughts? Please, please do not flame or ask us to get rid of the pets.
We are just trying to find a happy compromise.

Sorry about your situation.

Get a folding (accordian style) vinyl door for the bottom of the stairs.
The kind that is normally used sometimes on closets. You should be able
to get something fairly cheap.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old October 18th 03, 09:23 PM
Iso

No1,

The question of whether or not cats need sunlight has been asked repeatedly.
I found the most logically sound post regarding the question. So don't feel
bad by not having any windows in the basement. They are not necessary.

Animals get vitamin D from the sun as it is synthesized when UV rays react
with the precursors in the skin. D is also needed for efficient Calcium
absorption, and to prevent rickets. Most cat foods should have enough
Vitamin D supplements that sunlight is not necessary. Very little D is
necessary to be healthy. You can supplement with a few drops of fish oil
mixed in the cat food once a week. Too much can be toxic (as with too much
of many vitamins). Indoor cats are likely not synthesizing any of their own
vitamin D as UV is blocked by standard window glass. So ultimately, cats do
not need sunlight to survive although most cats do like sunlight. You can
supplement not having windows with flood lights. The cats won't know the
difference.

Old October 18th 03, 09:23 PM
MaryL

"No1" wrote in message
I will apologize in advance for any "snippiness" in my writing. This

isn't
easy for us, let alone the cats too. There are MANY places we could rent
for cheaper, but all of them don't allow pets. So we have to make due

with
what we have. Again, I apologize.

I can readily understand that you have to be careful of your expenditures
(and didn't even think of that when I mentioned the two cat gates from Drs.
Foster and Smith). However, the idea of giving them a place to look
outdoors is a good one. Do you have any of those high windows in the
basement? If so, a sturdy stepladder (if one is already available) would
give your cats easy access to the windows. The stepladders with wide steps
are more stable than the ones with narrow steps. At any rate, the cats will
be with you most of the time, so this isn't like locking your cats into a
dark basement and leaving them there alone.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Old October 18th 03, 09:28 PM
MacCandace

But hey, if you
want to send me money or the cat towers that I've seen (that run $100-200)
feel free, you won't get any argument from me.

Yeah, I'll do that for sure. You asked for advice. I didn't flame you.
Sheesh, you're a guy, make some cat trees, it's not very hard.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

A Moving Experience Margaret Fine Cat anecdotes 13 March 12th 04 04:54 AM
Bird in basement Ann Cat anecdotes 2 January 11th 04 07:40 PM
Moving House with a Cat Cathi Cat anecdotes 4 October 10th 03 09:42 PM
what's in the basement? [email protected] Cat anecdotes 4 September 27th 03 07:01 AM
what's in the basement? Update Brenda Cat anecdotes 1 September 27th 03 02:56 AM