Cat peeing outside box

Old February 22nd 13, 08:48 PM
cat182 cat182 is offline
Junior Member

Not sure what to think. He goes in the box. Digs around for a second or two. Then leaves the box. He'll walk around a bit, then return to the box, goes in and digs around and then walks out again. Eventually the 3rd time or so, he'll go back to the box and pee.
Yesterday, he pee'd on his favorite cat toy. Suffice to say, that toy went straight to the dumpster.
Poor guy... his days are numbered.
Old February 24th 13, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Cat peeing outside box

cat182 wrote:
Not sure what to think. He goes in the box. Digs around for a second
or two. Then leaves the box. He'll walk around a bit, then return to
the box, goes in and digs around and then walks out again. Eventually
the 3rd time or so, he'll go back to the box and pee.
Yesterday, he pee'd on his favorite cat toy. Suffice to say, that toy
went straight to the dumpster.
Poor guy... his days are numbered.

We have one who is about 17 or more, and has had FIV for the last 5 years or
more, but is still eating, sleeping, drinking and seems to be enjoying life,
much to the surprise of our roving vet, who doesn't know from where he is
getting his strength. He lives on roast chicken and he also likes deli meat,
so he gets his share of that whenever I make myself a sandwich. So, don't
count them out just because they get old!

Old February 28th 13, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jesse

On 2013-02-22 20:48:04 +0000, cat182 said:

Not sure what to think. He goes in the box. Digs around for a second or
two. Then leaves the box. He'll walk around a bit, then return to the
box, goes in and digs around and then walks out again. Eventually the
3rd time or so, he'll go back to the box and pee.
Yesterday, he pee'd on his favorite cat toy. Suffice to say, that toy
went straight to the dumpster.
Poor guy... his days are numbered.

This sounds more like there is a real medical issue going on than
behavioral, but it could be neurologic, I suppose, but I don't think
that is likely. However, I am not a vet, so I certainly don't know
everything.

Usually when I see that behavior I think UTI, but it sounds like you've
ruled that out already. Could there be some other bladder irritation
going on? The going in the box, scratching, and repeating until
finally peeing really seems like a medical problem where the cat is
trying to go but is unable to.

Old March 2nd 13, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL[_2_]

"cat182" wrote in message ...

Not sure what to think. He goes in the box. Digs around for a second or
two. Then leaves the box. He'll walk around a bit, then return to the
box, goes in and digs around and then walks out again. Eventually the
3rd time or so, he'll go back to the box and pee.
Yesterday, he pee'd on his favorite cat toy. Suffice to say, that toy
went straight to the dumpster.
Poor guy... his days are numbered.

cat182

~~~~~~~~~
Please take him to a vet ASAP, not "in a few days." My first thought would
be UTI, but there could also be other medical issues. If it is UTI, it is
easily treated but can be fatal if left untreated. Your cost and your cat's
discomfort will be much less if it is diagnosed early.

I think you said he is 14 years old. Many of us have cats considerably
older than that (and Tweed had one that was almost twice as old!), so age
should not be a reason to consider euthanasia. He first needs a complete
medical evaluation before you even begin to consider that extreme option--a
decision that many of us have been forced to make, but it is not an option
to consider before a vet has even looked at your cat.

Please see a vet and keep us updated. We will all hope for good results.

MaryL

Old March 2nd 13, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL[_2_]

"MaryL" wrote in message ...

"cat182" wrote in message ...

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~
I sent this message a few minutes ago and only then noticed that I am
replying to an old thread! I hope things are much better now. I did go on
and read that you have been to a vet and UTI apparently is not the problem.
If the problem still persists, it might be worth trying Feliway (the plug-in
type). Feliway is often used for behavior modification. It is not a
cure-all, but many people have had good results with it.

MaryL

Old March 2nd 13, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

MaryL wrote:
"MaryL" wrote in message ...

"cat182" wrote in message ...

[...]

I would check another vet and get a second opinion. Vets vary greatly in
their consern and ability. When I was a kid, about 10 years old, we had a
cat that got pregnant and had a bunch of kittens that we had to give away,
and my mother, who didn't know any better, took her to a vet and asked him
to put her to sleep. The stupid vet didn't even bother to tell her that he
could spay her so she wouldn't have any more kittens. He just put her down.
Years later, she told me what happened to "Thumper". But she was not a farm
girl, and just didn't know any better.

Old March 11th 13, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL[_2_]

"Craft loving granny" wrote in message

SORRY I AM A LURKER BUT I HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEM. MY OLDER FEMALE CAT HAS
STARTED A HABIT OF NOT PEEING OUTSIDE BOX BUT -- DOING BOWL MOVEMENT
ONLY RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER LITTER BOX. SHE URINMATES INSIDE THE BOX AS
USUAL. I TOOK HER TO THE VET--HE SAID SHES PHYSICALLY--HEALTHY
SOOO I AM CLEANING UP ONCE A DAY OR SO--AT LEAST ITS IN THE SAME SPOT
BUT---YUK
SHIRLEY IN IOWA

~~~~~~~~~~~
Do you have more than one litter box? Some cats "specialize" and will use
one box for urine and another for feces. The general "rule of thumb" is to
have one box for each cat plus one extra, although I have always found two
litter boxes (for my two cats) to be adequate.

MaryL

Old March 11th 13, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you have more than one litter box? Some cats "specialize" and will use

one box for urine and another for feces. The general "rule of thumb" is to

have one box for each cat plus one extra, although I have always found two

litter boxes (for my two cats) to be adequate.

MaryL

I second what Mary says about adding another box. Also, since you mentioned that she's an older cat, have you considered getting a box or container with low, low sides? Perhaps it's painful or uncomfortable for her to squat in a large box.

Rene S
Old March 12th 13, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Craft loving granny wrote:
SORRY I AM A LURKER BUT I HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEM. MY OLDER FEMALE CAT
HAS STARTED A HABIT OF NOT PEEING OUTSIDE BOX BUT -- DOING BOWL
MOVEMENT ONLY RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER LITTER BOX. SHE URINMATES INSIDE
THE BOX AS USUAL. I TOOK HER TO THE VET--HE SAID SHES
PHYSICALLY--HEALTHY
SOOO I AM CLEANING UP ONCE A DAY OR SO--AT LEAST ITS IN THE SAME SPOT
BUT---YUK
SHIRLEY IN IOWA

Put newspapers on that, "spot". Put another litter box on that spot. Move
her litter box so there is a wall where that spot would be. Put a garage oil
drip pan (from an auto supply store) under her litter box and the area she
is using. Move her litter box into the shower stall.

Old March 21st 13, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jesse

On 2013-03-11 04:47:54 +0000, Craft loving granny said:

SORRY I AM A LURKER BUT I HAVE SIMILAR PROBLEM. MY OLDER FEMALE CAT HAS
STARTED A HABIT OF NOT PEEING OUTSIDE BOX BUT -- DOING BOWL MOVEMENT
ONLY RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER LITTER BOX. SHE URINMATES INSIDE THE BOX AS
USUAL. I TOOK HER TO THE VET--HE SAID SHES PHYSICALLY--HEALTHY
SOOO I AM CLEANING UP ONCE A DAY OR SO--AT LEAST ITS IN THE SAME SPOT
BUT---YUK
SHIRLEY IN IOWA

You may want to replace the litter box with a new one. The smells can
permeate the plastics used in litter boxes and no matter how well you
clean this will not come out. Since she is doing it right by the
litter box I would suspect it to be more of a problem with the litter
used (have you changed it recently?), or the litter box itself.

Cheers,
Jesse