Need Revolution Dosage Help

Old July 11th 05, 03:12 PM
CatNipped

Default Need Revolution Dosage Help

I need to order Revolution from petmeds.com. I'm going to order the "large
dog" dosage because that's the best buy. Can anyone here tell me what
dosages I need to break that down into to get the correct amount for 4 cats
(2 cats at 7 pounds, 1 cat at 9 pounds, and 1 cat at 15 pounds)?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 11th 05, 03:56 PM
Steve G

CatNipped wrote:
I need to order Revolution from petmeds.com. I'm going to order the "large
dog" dosage because that's the best buy. Can anyone here tell me what
dosages I need to break that down into to get the correct amount for 4 cats
(2 cats at 7 pounds, 1 cat at 9 pounds, and 1 cat at 15 pounds)?

IIRC, it's 15mg per cat (from memory).

(Checking). No, apparently it's 45mg:
http://www.revolution4dogs.com/PAHim...compliance.pdf

Concentrations of selamectin are greater in the large dog doses so
obviously you'll need to take that into a/c when splitting the dose.

Steve.

Old July 11th 05, 04:20 PM
CatNipped

"Steve G" wrote in message
ups.com...

CatNipped wrote:
I need to order Revolution from petmeds.com. I'm going to order the

"large
dog" dosage because that's the best buy. Can anyone here tell me what
dosages I need to break that down into to get the correct amount for 4

cats
(2 cats at 7 pounds, 1 cat at 9 pounds, and 1 cat at 15 pounds)?

IIRC, it's 15mg per cat (from memory).

(Checking). No, apparently it's 45mg:

http://www.revolution4dogs.com/PAHim...compliance.pdf

Concentrations of selamectin are greater in the large dog doses so
obviously you'll need to take that into a/c when splitting the dose.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. But I'm terrible in math, and worse in chemistry. Is this
saying that I should .37mL of 120 mg/mL potency per cat?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 11th 05, 05:01 PM
Steve G

CatNipped wrote:
"Steve G" wrote in message
ups.com...

(...)

Thanks Steve. But I'm terrible in math, and worse in chemistry. Is this
saying that I should .37mL of 120 mg/mL potency per cat?

Bloody Mensans. Yes, that's quite correct - the concentration of large
dog doses is *double* that of the cat doses, so you should use half the
amount (22.5mg of the active, i.e., 0.375ml). Dunno if the money saved
is worth the ****ing about with syringes etc. anyway?

(Actually, I misread that PDF the first time - I read the mg column as
the total weight of the solution, not the weight of the active. Doh).

S.

Old July 11th 05, 05:44 PM
CatNipped

"Steve G" wrote in message
ups.com...

CatNipped wrote:
"Steve G" wrote in message
ups.com...

(...)

Thanks Steve. But I'm terrible in math, and worse in chemistry. Is

this
saying that I should .37mL of 120 mg/mL potency per cat?

Bloody Mensans. Yes, that's quite correct - the concentration of large
dog doses is *double* that of the cat doses, so you should use half the
amount (22.5mg of the active, i.e., 0.375ml). Dunno if the money saved
is worth the ****ing about with syringes etc. anyway?

I never claimed to be *smart*, just really good at taking tests and word
puzzles! ;

I already have syringes here, so I won't have to buy those, and the prices
are significantly lower with the large dog dosages. Let's see if I've done
this right, quoted from petmeds.com:

3 cat dosages (.75mL of 60 mg/mL potency each) is $36.99 US
3 large dog dosages (3.0mL of 120 mg/mL potency each) (or 24 cat dosages @
..75mL of 60 mg/mL potency each) is $59.99 US

So, for cat purchase it comes down to $16.44 US per mL; and for large dog
purchase it comes down to $3.33 US per mL (since you have to halve it for
potency). Or, to put it in price per dosage, it's: cat purchase $12.33 US
per dose; and for large dog purchase it's $2.50 US per dose. That's quite a
difference - or did I screw up the math?

So, I could spend $36.99 US for 3 doses, or I could spend $59.99 US for 24
doses, right?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 11th 05, 05:56 PM
CatNipped

"CatNipped" wrote in message

"Steve G" wrote in message
ups.com...

CatNipped wrote:
"Steve G" wrote in message
ups.com...

(...)

[...]

Actually, I just found the large dog dosage of Revolution at
Petscriptions.com for $49.25 US - so that's an even better price.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 11th 05, 06:06 PM
Steve G

CatNipped wrote:
(...)

3 cat dosages (.75mL of 60 mg/mL potency each) is $36.99 US
3 large dog dosages (3.0mL of 120 mg/mL potency each) (or 24 cat dosages @
.75mL of 60 mg/mL potency each) is $59.99 US

So, for cat purchase it comes down to $16.44 US per mL; and for large dog
purchase it comes down to $3.33 US per mL (since you have to halve it for
potency). Or, to put it in price per dosage, it's: cat purchase $12.33 US
per dose; and for large dog purchase it's $2.50 US per dose. That's quite a
difference - or did I screw up the math?

No, that's right. (2.25ml of cat Revo at $36.99 versus the equivalent
of 36ml of Cat Revo at $59.99).

Hm - maybe that's indeed a saving worth having, would be c.$180/year
for me, basically the cost of a couple of vet checkups or half a year's
cat food. Would need a suitable container to store the split larger
dose...

So, I could spend $36.99 US for 3 doses, or I could spend $59.99 US for 24
doses, right?

Indeed.

I assume there's no problem buying a dog dose with a cat prescription?

S.

Old July 11th 05, 06:07 PM
CatNipped

"Steve G" wrote in message
oups.com...

(...)

@
[...]

I don't think you need a vet's prescription for flea medication when buying
online - but I've never done so, so I don't know. I'm sure, though, if you
talk to your vet about the price differences (stressing that you could
afford more of his/her services if you save the money) he/she would go
along with it.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old July 11th 05, 06:21 PM
Steve G

CatNipped wrote:
(...)

I don't think you need a vet's prescription for flea medication when buying
online - but I've never done so, so I don't know.

You do for Revolution (you'll need to get your vet to fax the
prescription).

I'm sure, though, if you
talk to your vet about the price differences (stressing that you could
afford more of his/her services if you save the money) he/she would go
along with it.

Yeah, apart from the fact that they'd be stiffed out of a couple of
hundred $/year, for many years...

I suppose I could say I need to save the cash otherwise I won't be able
to afford the vet fees for removal of the lumps from my rat's tumerous
bod (write me a prescription, or the rat gets it! Can't see that one
washing. Write me a prescription, or I'll boil this baby bunny! Write
me a prescription or I'll maliciously poke my cat in the belly with a
sharpened fig! yeah!).

S.

Old July 11th 05, 06:42 PM
CatNipped

"Steve G" wrote in message
ups.com...

CatNipped wrote:
(...)

[...]

OK, Petscriptions.com is asking for a vet, but Petmeds.com is not.

Hugs,

CatNipped