Peeing Outside the Box

Old September 24th 07, 11:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jean B.

Default Peeing Outside the Box

Mingy is now 9 1/2 years old. He has blocked once and plugged
once. He has not peed in either of his litter boxes for at
least 48 hours. He has, within the last two weeks or so,
started peeing around the house though. I brought him to the
hospital yesterday to make sure he wasn't blocked or plugged,
and, on the basis of his small bladder, they said he wasn't.
They did take a urine sample, and we'll have the results
today, IIRC.

This episode is kind-of odd to me, because Ming is not even
trying to use his potty for peeing. When he was last doing
so, I did not observe anything odd--he was in and out quickly,
didn't stop to lick, didn't then proceed to pee on the floor,
etc. In fact, the only possibly suspicious licking I have
seen was after he went to the hospital, and I thought that
might be because they had extracted urine with a needle or
because he had the alien smell on him.

Anyway, after we get the urinalysis, we will explore what
might be causing this behavior. In the meantime, I was
wondering whether any of you who have had cats who started
urinating in inappropriate places have tried getting more
litter boxes and putting them in various new places? If so,
did it help at all?

--
Jean B.
Old September 24th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Johnna via CatKB.com

Hi Jean B,
So sorry to hear that Mingy is experiencing bladder trouble. My Noel went
through three blockages in one year before we finally resolved his problem. I
can sympathize with what you are both going through. I'm no expert but
through personal experience and a lot of reading I found that some cats who
experience painful urination begin to associate the litter box with the pain
and avoid peeing in the litter. This may be the problem with Mingy. It may
help to try a new litter box in a new place to break the painful association
he has made. Best to talk with your vet after you have the results of the
tests but your idea of changing the box and its location sounds like it may
be worth a try. Best of luck with Mingy. Let us know how he gets along.
Johnna ^..^

Old September 24th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Jean B." wrote
Anyway, after we get the urinalysis, we will explore what might be causing
this behavior. In the meantime, I was wondering whether any of you who
have had cats who started urinating in inappropriate places have tried
getting more litter boxes and putting them in various new places? If so,
did it help at all?

We have not tried that. We have a cat who expresses her
emotions with her bladder. She pees outside the box when
she is either unhappy with us or trying to get our attention
for some other, unfathomable reason. (I can't pretend to
know what is going on in that hard little head. She gets tons
of love and affection and play, too.)

All we have done is keep her out of the room that was her
favorite pee spot, and tried to address what might be making
her unhappy. She's a little bladder bully. (And YES, she has
been to the vet, goes several times a year for other things
and has never had any type of bladder infection. She is
hyperthyroid and has mild heart disease.

Old September 24th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Persian

On Sep 24, 6:20 am, "Jean B." wrote:
[...]

You have to make sure that your cat does not have Urinary Tract
Infection - I'd say take him to the vet immediately!

Alex
http://PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Old September 25th 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jean B.

Johnna via CatKB.com wrote:
Hi Jean B,
So sorry to hear that Mingy is experiencing bladder trouble. My Noel went
through three blockages in one year before we finally resolved his problem. I
can sympathize with what you are both going through. I'm no expert but
through personal experience and a lot of reading I found that some cats who
experience painful urination begin to associate the litter box with the pain
and avoid peeing in the litter. This may be the problem with Mingy. It may
help to try a new litter box in a new place to break the painful association
he has made. Best to talk with your vet after you have the results of the
tests but your idea of changing the box and its location sounds like it may
be worth a try. Best of luck with Mingy. Let us know how he gets along.
Johnna ^..^

I got the results of his urinalysis--and was most interested
to hear he had no crystals--also no UTI and good
concentration. I said "this is good and bad news", and the
vet agreed. She said it was either something physical
(necessitating bloodwork and imaging) or behavioral. I opined
that he was always so good about using the potty. (The only
other time he had peed elsewhere was when he was
blocking/plugging.) She said cats can develop behavioral
problems.

I then had some odd thoughts--one being that maybe he was mad
at me because I have been trying harder to get him to eat what
I want him to eat. Since I had just gotten good feedback on
the state of his urine, I decided to humor him. I also got
him a new litterbox and put new litter in it. He has since
used it twice--that after not using it at all for peeing for
2+ days.

Thinking about this more, the only odd behavior I have seen
from him is that he seems confused in the litter box....

--
Jean B.
Old September 25th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jean B.

cybercat wrote:
We have not tried that. We have a cat who expresses her
emotions with her bladder. She pees outside the box when
she is either unhappy with us or trying to get our attention
for some other, unfathomable reason. (I can't pretend to
know what is going on in that hard little head. She gets tons
of love and affection and play, too.)

All we have done is keep her out of the room that was her
favorite pee spot, and tried to address what might be making
her unhappy. She's a little bladder bully. (And YES, she has
been to the vet, goes several times a year for other things
and has never had any type of bladder infection. She is
hyperthyroid and has mild heart disease.

Interesting. I was wondering whether he might possibly be
trying to express his unhappiness with my not giving him the
food he wants. I thought I must be crazy to think a cat would
retaliate. Maybe not though!!!!!

BTW, I didn't put boxes where I have discovered his pee. I
did put waterproof baby mats in those places though. I really
SHOULD get a waterproof mattress pad just in case....

--
Jean B.
Old September 25th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jean B.

Persian wrote:
You have to make sure that your cat does not have Urinary Tract
Infection - I'd say take him to the vet immediately!

Alex
http://PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Yup. They did that when I took him in. I was kind-of hoping
it would come back positive, since that would have been a
definitive answer, but he does not have a UTI!

BTW, he is a color-carrier Persian. I think that is the term
for the Himmies that are one color? I may vaguely recall they
are predisposed to urinary problems....

--
Jean B.
Old September 25th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 25 Sep, 13:41, "Jean B." wrote:
Persian wrote:
You have to make sure that your cat does not have Urinary Tract
Infection - I'd say take him to the vet immediately!

Alex
http://PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Yup. They did that when I took him in. I was kind-of hoping
it would come back positive, since that would have been a
definitive answer, but he does not have a UTI!

BTW, he is a color-carrier Persian. I think that is the term
for the Himmies that are one color? I may vaguely recall they
are predisposed to urinary problems....

--
Jean B.

I wonder, does he choose the same places to urinate on most of the
time-whether it be @ the bottom of the stairs or in the kitchen or
even the bedroom? The reason I ask this, is to help with damage
limitation. I had a cat that started to get a little senile in his old
age, & used to pee in all sorts of places, so what we used to do was
put down inexpensive bathroom mats down right on his favoured places
so that when he did go, @ least we were able to remove the rubber
backed mats & throw them straight in the washing machine. we had about
2 spares that we kept for the same reason. Whilst one was in the
washer, the other two were down to try & save the carpet. It worked
for us, & I hope it helps you from a practical position, if not any
other.

IMO agree, I would have thought that the urination in inappropriate
places is normally down to a UTI. Did your vet have any realistic
prognosis?
Sheelagh "o"

Old September 27th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jean B.

Sheelagh o wrote:
On 25 Sep, 13:41, "Jean B." wrote:
Persian wrote:
[...]

I put baby mats in the two places I noticed. Otherwise, it is
kind-of random.

In the meantime, he is not eating much. It's off to the vet's
tomorrow. She said he might be traumatized from his hospital
visit. I sure hope we don't discover something awful. I LOVE
Mingy.

--
Jean B.
Old September 27th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh >o

On 27 Sep, 00:39, "Jean B." wrote:
Sheelagh o wrote:
On 25 Sep, 13:41, "Jean B." wrote:
Persian wrote:
[...]

Jean B.- Hide quoted text -

I wish you all the best. we will be thinking of you & Mingy.
Good Luck & we hope to hear some good news tomorrow,
Best Wishes,
Sheelagh "o"