Suggestion: Be a "sponsor mom or dad"

Old February 22nd 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default Suggestion: Be a "sponsor mom or dad"

Untold thousands of perfectly healthy cats and dogs are euthanized every
year because there are not enough people to adopt them (and the primary
blame, in my opinion, is failure of people to spay or neuter their pets).
One great help is when people agree to foster and socialize pets even when
they do not plan to adopt. We have a cat rescue group in our community that
has done a wonderful job of finding foster homes until the animals can be
adopted. However, it is expensive. They check references, investigate
homes, provide food and veterinary care, and arrange for adoptions. I have
been donating to this group for several years. A couple of years ago, I
also paid for vetting, immunization, and other necesseties for two cats that
otherwise would not have survived. I began to call myself a "sponsor mom."
At the time, I thought I was creating the term, but I have since seen it in
a number of places on the Internet--so, once again, I wasn't being
"original" at all.

I have sponsored several cats since that time. My purpose in writing is to
encourage some of you to do the same thing. Rescue groups can often find
more people willing to foster than they have money to support, so something
like this is a way that we can benefit our furry friends even if we do not
adopt or foster.

MaryL

Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Old February 23rd 09, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

in the county just north of me, if you go to the city pound and pre pay the
adoption fee they don't pts the animal, and you can pick or let them, Lee
. ..