Vomiting cat

Old April 4th 05, 02:32 AM
bookbug2005

Default Vomiting cat

My cat, Charley, is 6 months old, energetic, and by all accounts
healthy. However, lately he's begun vomiting in the morning after he
first eats his kitten chow. I think what is happening is that he
snarfs it down, drinks some water, then the kitten chow expands in his
stomach, and up it comes. Although it is rare, he's done it other
times in of the day. All occurrences seem to happen when he's not
eaten in awhile (although I leave kitten chow available to him 24/7).
Charley does not seem sick in the least. Just wondered if anyone else
had experience with this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Michelle

Old April 4th 05, 02:45 AM
Cheryl

On Sun 03 Apr 2005 09:32:04p, bookbug2005 wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com):

My cat, Charley, is 6 months old, energetic, and by all accounts
healthy. However, lately he's begun vomiting in the morning
after he first eats his kitten chow. I think what is happening
is that he snarfs it down, drinks some water, then the kitten
chow expands in his stomach, and up it comes. Although it is
rare, he's done it other times in of the day. All occurrences
seem to happen when he's not eaten in awhile (although I leave
kitten chow available to him 24/7). Charley does not seem sick
in the least. Just wondered if anyone else had experience with
this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Michelle

Yes, Michelle. Do you think Charley would like canned food? Maybe
for his first meal of the day, the canned stuff would sit better
with him. I've had cats that will hurl dry food if they eat it too
fast.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields

Old April 4th 05, 06:27 AM

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 20:45:18 -0500, Cheryl
wrote:

On Sun 03 Apr 2005 09:32:04p, bookbug2005 wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
groups.com):

My cat, Charley, is 6 months old, energetic, and by all accounts
healthy. However, lately he's begun vomiting in the morning
after he first eats his kitten chow. I think what is happening
is that he snarfs it down, drinks some water, then the kitten
chow expands in his stomach, and up it comes. Although it is
rare, he's done it other times in of the day. All occurrences
seem to happen when he's not eaten in awhile (although I leave
kitten chow available to him 24/7). Charley does not seem sick
in the least. Just wondered if anyone else had experience with
this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Michelle

Yes, Michelle. Do you think Charley would like canned food? Maybe
for his first meal of the day, the canned stuff would sit better
with him. I've had cats that will hurl dry food if they eat it too
fast.

That's what my vet recommended after my 11 year old started having
that problem. He said my cat could be having a hard time passing the
dry through his system. Canned food and soft kibble work well and the
vomiting doesn't occur now unless he eats too fast.

You could also mix the kitten chow with a little water and feed it to
him that way. Like you, my cat had unlimited access to dry food, but
he's adapted to eating only at meal times. (except he acts like he's
starving all the time).

pepsi
Old April 4th 05, 09:22 AM
Phil P.

"bookbug2005" wrote in message
oups.com...
My cat, Charley, is 6 months old, energetic, and by all accounts
healthy. However, lately he's begun vomiting in the morning after he
first eats his kitten chow. I think what is happening is that he
snarfs it down, drinks some water, then the kitten chow expands in his
stomach, and up it comes. Although it is rare, he's done it other
times in of the day. All occurrences seem to happen when he's not
eaten in awhile (although I leave kitten chow available to him 24/7).
Charley does not seem sick in the least. Just wondered if anyone else
had experience with this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Michelle

Has he been to the vet to rule out possible medical causes? That should be
the first step. Vomiting shortly after eating could be a sign of a
gastrointestinal obstruction.

If the vet gives him a clean bill of health, I think you should make a
serious effort to switch him over to canned food while he's still young.
Changing food textures gets more difficult as cats get older. Not only will
canned food probably help his digestive problems, it will certainly reduce
the risks of potentially fatal urinary tract obstructions and other lower
urinary tract disorders.

You might also want to try placing small portions of his daily diet in
several different locations. This will force him to eat a little at a time.

But first things first. I'd let the vet have a look at him.

Best of luck.

Phil

Old April 4th 05, 10:07 AM
bjdbrad

My vet my breeder and many times in this and other forums I have been
told that until one year of age you should free feed your kitten. If
this is fact that should stop him from gorging himself on a morning
meal. Myself I would do anything to keep from feeding them canned food,
you may never be able to ween him off of the canned back to the dry. It
sounds to me that your explanation of why he vomits is correct and if
the free feeding cuts down the amount it should solve the problem. Easy
enough to try.

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A WELL-PRESERVED
BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING... "
HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

Old April 4th 05, 10:24 AM
Phil P.

"bjdbrad" wrote in message
ups.com...

Myself I would do anything to keep from feeding them canned food,
you may never be able to ween him off of the canned back to the dry.

Why would you want to?

Phil

Old April 5th 05, 09:37 AM
bjdbrad

Well Phil perhaps its a mix of a few things.....one of them human
related I admit but I don't want to mess with the cans and smell and
mess of dealing with canned food.......but also I am convinced that the
dry food is best for them. I have no quarrel with those that want to
use canned food I just prefer not to, also my breeder says his cats
have much better and less odorous stools with dry food. I think alot of
you guys use canned foods because your cat seems to love it and its
maybe more of a treat to give them the canned food which makes you feel
better being good to your cat which certainly is good for you and your
cat.

Pepsi, in looking at the first post that I have I can't determine how
feeding was done, I right or wrong determined that the morning feeding
was from an empty bowl but I may be wrong.

Old April 5th 05, 10:42 AM
Phil P.

"bjdbrad" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well Phil perhaps its a mix of a few things.....one of them human
related I admit but I don't want to mess with the cans and smell and
mess of dealing with canned food.......

Actually, your cats' health should take precedence over your convenience.

but also I am convinced that the
dry food is best for them.

That's hardy the case. In fact, its the complete opposite. Here's why:

http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutritio...i ch_is_reall

Btw, take a look a your cats' teeth. Do you see any first premolars or
lower first or second premolars or broad and fisured crowns for grinding?
No, right? Their teeth are pointed - designed for tearing and cutting - not
mastication.

Also, gently try to move your cats' jaws laterally or in a rotary motion.
Can't do it, can you? Do you know why? Cats don't masticate! They can't
because their jaw hinge (condyloid process) is shaped like a bar - like a
door hinge - and only moves up and down (for holding struggling prey and
cutting) http://maxshouse.com/anatomy/Dentary...edial_view.jpg

So unless the dry food nuggets are very large - large enough for the teeth
to sink all the way down to the gum line - and don't shatter when the cat
bites into them, what good is dry food?

I have no quarrel with those that want to
use canned food I just prefer not to,

Its not as simple as that. Your cats' health should take precedence over
your convenience.

also my breeder says his cats
have much better and less odorous stools with dry food.

Most breeders are hardly credible sources of information - look how much
damage their "wisdom" has caused for many breeds - *especially* the
brachycephalic breeds and the Siamese! Most breeders know even less about
feline nutrition than they do about breeding!

The cost of those 'better' stools is less water in the urine and lower urine
volume - which increases the concentration of solutes in the urine which
increases the risk of urinary tract obstructions in male cats. Most of the
water dry-fed cats drink is lost to fecal moisture. So, even though they
drink about 6x more water than cats fed canned food, they have a *lower*
total water intake and turnover and *lower* urine volume. This isn't
opinion - this is fact backed up by peer-reviewed controlled clinical
studies.

Dry food also exacerbates interstitial cystitis and diabetes in cats that
are predisposed to it.

I think alot of
you guys use canned foods because your cat seems to love it and its
maybe more of a treat to give them the canned food which makes you feel
better being good to your cat which certainly is good for you and your
cat.

You couldn't be more wrong! Most of us feed our cats canned food because
its *healthier for our cats*. Canned food is more is expensive, takes more
effort, and is just a general pain in ass to deal with it - but its *better*
and *healthier* for our cats - which takes precedence over our convenience.
Don't you think we would love to just fill up a feeder once a week and
forget about it instead of worrying about rushing home to feed our cats on
time? The inconvenience and effort are offset by the satisfaction and
confidence that we are doing the best thing for our feline friends - who
enrich our lives so much. I think you might want to reevaluate your
priorities.

As the owner of a male cat, you should be particularily concerned about
feeding dry food. Male cats are very susceptible to urinary tract
obstructions because their urethra narrows - like a funnel - where it passes
over the pelvis - which can easily become blocked by small crystals and
debris and lead to oliguric acute renal failure and *death*. Females cats
aren't susceptible to UTOs because they have a wider and somewhat straight
urethra.

You seem like a caring owner whose just been misled and misinformed. I
really think you'll change your mind if you really think about it.

Phil

Old April 5th 05, 06:51 PM

On 5 Apr 2005 01:37:26 -0700, "bjdbrad" wrote:

[...]

He said, "(although I leave kitten chow available to him 24/7)."
so I knew the cat, like mine used to, has unlimitted dry.

As for canned, I grew up with dogs and knew that dry was essential for
the animal's health. When I acquired my cat, I thought the same was
true for him. I was surprised when my vet told me cats do fine on an
all canned food diet, and that was confirmed just yesterday when I saw
a vet on tv say the same thing.

I agree with you that canned food does have an odorous effect on their
waste. But since canned food passes through their systems faster than
dry, for a cat that has trouble passing dry food, such as the original
poster's cat, that seems more of a solution than a problem.

I have boarded my cat and was told he was only given Science Diet dry
the entire week he was there. He did just fine, so I've come to the
conclusion that as long as it's a food designed for cats, it won't
harm them, unless they have other problems. I do stay away from cheap
store brand foods, though, as they give my cat bloody diarhea.

pepsi