AGGGH! #1: Dry Eyes / Slight Congestion for Me

Old November 12th 03, 05:44 AM
Mike Harris

Default AGGGH! #1: Dry Eyes / Slight Congestion for Me

Hi, everybody.

First, my sincere thanks to everyone who replied to the "supplies"
thread! Ah, were missing supplies my only problem, now!

I have three problems I'd like to throw at people, if you don't mind.
I'll throw them into separate messages for the sake of thread clarity.

First ...

I myself appear to be experiencing some minor symptoms that could either
be cold-related or allergy-related ... some congestion, and perhaps
slightly drier eyes. They cold be could-related, but they do seem to
clear up when I'm not around him. ***However, I've never displayed an
allergic reaction to my parents' or sister's shorthairs (at least that I
can remember).*** Is it possible that this is a 'new cat' kind of
allergic reaction? Is it possible that I will just get acclimated, that
it's a momentary thing with his specific dander? I mean, he likes to
rest pretty close to me, so I have a feeling if I were allergic to him,
then the symptoms would really be bad after that ...

My thanks in advance to everybody who answers ... this new cat-daddy is
finding himself a l'il overwhelmed at times ...

Mike
Old November 13th 03, 05:20 PM
onlyThreeCats

Mike, I am allergic to cats - and presently live with four of them,
and am generally symptom-free.

When I got my first two cats after moving out the dorm( having lived
with a cat in my parents' home most of my life) I had one of the worst
allergic reactions I've ever seen. My doctor said "I don't suppose
you'll give them back?" and I flat out said no.

For about a month, I took an antihistamine, one of the daily, 24-hour
dose ones. After that - I stopped reacting to my own cats.

I've done alot of reading on allergies since then. Yes, indeed, you
can be allergic to some cats and not others. Cats produce and shed
many different proteins, some have one or two, some have many. And
allergic persons can be allergic to one, a few, or many of these
specific proteins. It can be up to the individual genetics of each
person and each cat.

However, the whole theory behind allergy treatments is that a
constant, low-level exposure will "train" your immune system not to
overreact. So, it stands to reason that unless your new cat
instigates some life-threatening anaphylactic shock, you may very well
just need time and exposure to whatever new allergen he has. Try
taking a mild antihistamine, like claritin or reactine or such, for a
couple of weeks.

Another thing you can try is to treat the kitty - there's a couple of
products out there, one called AllerPet and one called OUT! Allergy
relief. These are bottles of a "dry wash" - not sure why it's called
that, as it's liquid, but maybe that's because you don't quite soak
the cat in a tub of it. You moisten a towel and rub it in to dampen
the cat. If your cat takes a likeing to grooming this isn't so bad.
What I have done with mine is put it in a plant spray bottle and mist
it onto their brush, which they love, and then brush them all over,
backwards and forwards and all, to work it into their coat. It's
mainly distilled water but it contains enzymes which neutralize the
common allergens.

A final thing that helps is to "treat the environment". Allergies can
be cumulative. You may not be allergic to one cat, or one dog, or a
pollen at alow exposure, but if you add them up you have an
over-stimulated system that reacts. So, if you are mildly allergic to
dust and mildew, you may not notice until it's pollen season as well,
or until something like a new cat is added to the mix. It helps me
alot to keep the dust down, vacuum with a GOOD FILTERED VACUUM, and
change bedding often.

Chances are, with a little bit of treatment at the start of your new
exposure, you will adapt to each other and they symptoms will go away.
If not, see if you can find a sympathetic doctor for a stronger
prescribed allergy treatment - most of the treatments are safe,
side-effect free and far, far less drastic than getting rid of a
lovely pet would be.

Sorry this is a bit long, but trust me, lots of us have been there,
there's lots you can do about it. Good luck,

Johanna (four cats, minimal sneezes)