Are Hartz Flea Drops Anygood???

Old March 9th 04, 09:58 PM
Sharon Talbert

Incidentally, quite worried by someone's suggestion to use dog
preparations, as I know some flea treatments used on dogs are toxic to
cats. I'd say check with your vet first.

Actually, the formula (in Advantage & Revolution) is the same for cats as
for dogs; it is a matter of quantity. But yes; always check with the vet
first. Our vet showed me how to use the big dog formula Revolution to
treat our houseful of fraidycat house ferals. It worked great!

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
Old March 9th 04, 11:22 PM
MaryL

"Sharon Talbert" wrote in message
. washington.edu...

Advantage kills on contact and keeps on killing for 3-4 weeks. As flea
eggs hatch, they die.

Like you, I hate to flea bomb. Advantage (or Frontline or Revolution) is
effective enough that I don't have to bomb. As fleas jump from the rug to
the cat they are killed. Vacuuming helps, as well, if you bag and discard
the vacuum bag.

I also heartily recommend taking up all cat bedding and giving it a good
wash (bagging it tightly in plastic if you don't wash right away).

Just as an aside, another great flea product is Capstar, which kills fleas
immediately and kills for about 3 days. We use it in our rescue work, for
new young arrivals. Capstar is safe even for very small kittens (4
weeks).

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscats.org

In addition to the pointers listed here and in some other replies, you could
cut a flea collar into fairly pieces and vacuum a couple of them in the
vacuum bag or cannister. This would help to control any eggs or stray fleas
that might be collected. Incidentally, I would *never* use a flea collar on
my cats. Mine are indoor only, so I rarely need flea control -- but when I
do, I use Advantage.

MaryL

Old March 10th 04, 12:36 AM
GoobAudio

My vet sold me a pack of 6 for $85 for my cat. It appears that the non
perscription purple is the same as the perscription I got. Am I missing
something here?

Phil

Old March 10th 04, 12:39 AM
kilikini

"GoobAudio" wrote in message
news
My vet sold me a pack of 6 for $85 for my cat. It appears that the non
perscription purple is the same as the perscription I got. Am I missing
something here?

Phil

I didn't know that there was a non-perscription, but $85 seems a
ridiculously high price! I think I paid about $20 for a three month supply
last time at my vet. How large is your cat?

kili

Old March 10th 04, 05:27 AM
MaryL

"GoobAudio" wrote in message
news
My vet sold me a pack of 6 for $85 for my cat. It appears that the non
perscription purple is the same as the perscription I got. Am I missing
something here?

Phil

I looked through some of my receipts and had to go back 6 months because I
don't often need flea medication. However, my bill for 1 Advantage-orange
was $11.98 from the vet. Your bill seems pretty high, and a 6-pack should
be a little cheaper than 6 individual doses. Incidentally, I thought that
all Advantage required a prescription.

MaryL

Old March 10th 04, 03:13 PM
kilikini

"GoobAudio" wrote in message
news
My vet sold me a pack of 6 for $85 for my cat. It appears that the non
perscription purple is the same as the perscription I got. Am I missing
something here?

Phil

I looked through some of my receipts and had to go back 6 months because I
don't often need flea medication. However, my bill for 1 Advantage-orange
was $11.98 from the vet. Your bill seems pretty high, and a 6-pack should
be a little cheaper than 6 individual doses. Incidentally, I thought that
all Advantage required a prescription.

MaryL

Yep, I totally agree. My dog's advantage (and he's over 50 pounds) is about
$12 a month. I can't imagine paying $14 a month for a cat that can't weigh
over 15 - 20 pounds!

kili