Update on Rutherford, my floor-****ing cat

Old September 9th 04, 03:03 PM
B&S

"Wendy" wrote in message

"jimmy the LD" wrote in message
Do you have other cats? Were they near the liter box
when he sprayed?

I've found Nature's Miracle to be a waste of money as well.

(SNIP)

We also found Nature's Miracle to be a waste of money. The only thing that
worked for us was to paint over (almost seal in) the areas where the cat had
peed. Of course this was on cement, which we then carpeted over.

The things we tried that did not work we
Nature's Miracle
Some other really expensive enzyme cleaner from the vet
white vinegar
numerous other cleaners (like Lysol, Mr. Clean, etc)
even bleach didn't work

With our puppy pee the best thing is using our Hoover Steam Vac over and
over on the spot. We didn't have that when the cat decided to pee. : /

But I would definitely replace the pad under the area, and paint the sub
floor in addition to a steam vac. If any got on the wall, clean that well
and paint it also. We needed to completely eliminate the smell to stop him
from peeing in the area again. And while we were doing this, we blocked him
from the area so he couldn't use it again.

Is there a way to block him from the area and have appropriate litter boxes
elsewhere until he can unlearn this nasty habit? My college roomate's cat
used to spray/pee everywhere, but when she moved (and got away from the
smell I assume) he only peed where he was supposed to. (Yes, he was
neutered).

Good luck!!!!!! I feel your pain. : )

Shelly

Old September 10th 04, 10:50 PM
Pat

"jimmy the LD" wrote in message

He's a cute *******, which is why this is so difficult.
Check him out (I know I posted this before...):
http://music.jimhutchison.com/myrutherford.htm

There don't seem to be any pictures on that page. All I see are image
placeholders.

The floor under your carpet probably needs deodorizing too.

Old September 11th 04, 01:02 AM
mlbriggs

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:50:12 -0500, Pat wrote:

"jimmy the LD" wrote in message

He's a cute *******, which is why this is so difficult.
Check him out (I know I posted this before...):
http://music.jimhutchison.com/myrutherford.htm

There don't seem to be any pictures on that page. All I see are image
placeholders.

The floor under your carpet probably needs deodorizing too.

He is a very handsome kitty! MLB

Old September 11th 04, 10:53 PM
AC

The only way you're going to shape a cat that old, assuming good health, is
with a water pistol & a very loud & angry voice/noise.

Think like a cat, and you're half way there!

First thing to try, would be to banish him from that room for a month, and
see if he does it elsewhere. If not, there's an unquantifiable cat quality
about the particular spot that should respond to the treatment below,
suggested. Good luck!

You'll have to be his shadow for quite a while, and combine the three
whenever it looks like he's about to do the business. Don't worry, he won't
take it personally, since you'll only do it when he's spraying.

It won't take too many times of you catching him before he learns, cats are
quick learners. If he transfers the behaviour, perhaps there's a
personality/dominance issue to address.

"jimmy the LD" wrote in message
Okay, here's what I have experienced thus far:
We found a spot where Rutherford (my ever-so-****ing-on-the-floor cat) had
been spraying and squatting over and over, and we got some of that

"Nature's
Miracle" stuff. We wasted our money on that stuff - it didn't work at

all.

Tonight, after spending a good amount of Sunday evening cleaning the

carpet
where we found the ****, Rutherford trotted into the living room. I

walked
right with him, and he found a spot where I cleaned, he walked around it

for
a few seconds, lifted his tail, and then sprayed the wall RIGHT IN FRONT

OF
ME.

I am up in arms. I have no idea what else to do.
We even bought some of that "NO-MARK" stuff and sprayed it. It was
absolutely no deterrent. He uses his litterbox regularly, and it is

cleaned
regularly.

Any new suggestions? I can't take this much longer.

Jimmy
http://music.jimhutchison.com/myrutherford.htm

--
"...that simple light may rise out of complex darkness."
and don't forget to run like an antelope.

http://www.jimhutchison.com
http://music.jimhutchison.com

---