New Furniture

Old September 18th 05, 02:11 AM
Larry Osborne

Default New Furniture

No this isn't a complaint about cats ruining new furniture.

I finally got new furniture for the living room, been promising myself it
for eight years, and my cats at seven just now have only seen and liked the
old ratty furniture (finally getting too bad even for me). Now I've
replaced almost everything in there except for an old scratching post, the
entertainment centre (now the wrong colour - have to figure out how to turn
golden oak to tones somewhere in the range from red to a brown walnut -
since it isn't painted or varnished but waxed, perhaps there is some way to
do it with a stain containing wax that can be removed easily if desired
later), and an old heavy brown walnut stand that could with a minor
alteration function as a good near color matching coffee table and while a
little less heavy than the new furniture it will go reasonably well.

Now this is the control centre of Smudge's realm. The only things left that
she is really comfortable with is an old box of CD's, a good perching spot -
now in the wrong location and of course the inevitable cardboard - the flat
from a box of 24 tins of diet coke. I think she thought the cardboard that
the furniture came in was for her but she finally had to give in as I tore
it up to dispose of it. There must have been enough cardboard to line the
whole floor with two layers of carboard and I think she was really
disappointed when all the pieces went out the door.

She is not sure that she likes the new place as the hiding places are not
really available as these don't recline so the backs are more nearly
vertical not slanted back giving a good cat cave/tunnel. She is still
looking the place over and only occasionally deciding it is ok and rubbing
against it.

Peepers is however happy with the situation (could have better hiding spots)
as he is finding that he can leave his scent on the new unclaimed furniture.
I am sure that will not last and that Smudge will again have the living room
as fully hers again but it could make for an interesting time.

There are still a couple of occasional chairs one for the living room and
one for the bedroom still boxed. I've yet to replace the mattress in the
bedroom and might look at other changes there. Do you think it would do any
good to tell Peepers that his control centre from the bedroom could also
have major changes coming. He could end up looking as uncertain in the
bedroom as Smudge is currently in the new living room area.

Larry Osborne

Old September 18th 05, 02:54 AM
Karen

On 2005-09-17 20:11:12 -0500, "Larry Osborne" said:

[...]

Hmm. I suggest a major nice cattree purchase before changing the
command center. Might help him over the hump.