Kitty Flu

Old March 12th 09, 06:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cazz A

Default Kitty Flu

All of my cats have cat flu. It all started when one of the kittens was
claimed by my local council and claimed to be unregistered and excess to
the limit (the council's limit is 3 cats and 2 dogs). I reclaimed him
and later noticed that not only did he have cat flu, he also had fleas.

The fleas are not a problem. The flu has been transferred to all my
cats. The kitten was prescribed antibiotics, not for the flu but for any
harmful bacteria that might decide to move in.
I know of the dangers of overusing antibiotics, and I can't afford $15
for each of the 11 cats.
How can I ease the problem for them? I've been giving the kittens a hot
water bottle wrapped in polar fleece every 12 hours, can I do anything
to help the cats any more?
Old March 12th 09, 06:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cyberpurrs

"Cazz A" wrote in message
All of my cats have cat flu. It all started when one of the kittens was
claimed by my local council and claimed to be unregistered and excess to
the limit (the council's limit is 3 cats and 2 dogs). I reclaimed him and
later noticed that not only did he have cat flu, he also had fleas.

The fleas are not a problem. The flu has been transferred to all my cats.
The kitten was prescribed antibiotics, not for the flu but for any harmful
bacteria that might decide to move in.
I know of the dangers of overusing antibiotics, and I can't afford $15 for
each of the 11 cats.
How can I ease the problem for them? I've been giving the kittens a hot
water bottle wrapped in polar fleece every 12 hours, can I do anything to
help the cats any more?

Take them to a shelter where they might be rehomed with people who can
afford vet care.

Old March 12th 09, 09:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cazz A

cyberpurrs wrote:

"Cazz A" wrote in message
[...]

Um, the shelter is where the flu came from, and they'd all be killed
within 24 hours because of the flu if I surrendered them now.

Fact is, even if I was a millionare I'd be looking for a cheaper option.
I don't think it's fair on the cats to be put in a travel cage for an
hour of travel just to hear what I already know and be prescribed a 1ml
syringe full of meds...give me a break, nothing deserves that! I'm just
looking for something that will help them, not something that will help
after the bacteria have moved in.
Old March 12th 09, 12:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 20:16:29 +1100, Cazz A
wrote:

cyberpurrs wrote:

"Cazz A" wrote in message
[...]

They should be fine once the cold goes away since the antibiotics are
just preventative. I used to be a microbiologist and hated hearing
that someone was getting antibiotics "just in case". If any don't seem
to be recovering, get antibiotics for that one. Adult cats should be
fine otherwise but you should check my advice with the vet.

But, watch out for worms. Those are transmitted by fleas as I recall,
and the only time my cats got fleas (many years ago) they also got
worms.
Old March 12th 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote:

cyberpurrs wrote:

"Cazz A" wrote in message
[...]

You're talking to a budding hoarder. Her local government already seized
some of her cats.

Old March 12th 09, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"Cazz A"

I want you to read something and pay close attention to it. You should seek
proper veterinary advice or treatment when your cat or kitten becomes ill

How to get your cat healthy and happy again
Watching your cat or kitten suffer from cat flu is a stressful and
unpleasant experience.
There's nothing worse than seeing your beloved pet enduring the symptoms of
cat flu while you look on helplessly.
The most obvious signs of the condition are a runny nose, respiratory
difficulties, sneezing and swollen and runny eyes.
Your cat will seem thoroughly sick and miserable, lacking in energy and not
eating, playing and exploring as normal.
Humans cannot catch flu from their cats so there's no risk of you becoming
ill too when your pet catches cat flu or cat cold.

It's also worth noting that cats and kittens cannot catches colds or flu
from their owners.
Two feline viruses cause most cases of cat flu and the condition will
normally last for seven to 10 days. Some cats are infected as kittens and
the virus stays with them and flares up throughout their lives.
But thankfully there are plenty of cat flu vaccines, medications and
treatments available which will get your cat fit and healthy again as
quickly as possible including some popular products here.
It's simply a case of learning a bit about the subject and taking the right
course of action.
Vets often recommend antibiotics for the problem - but sometimes this is the
wrong course of action since cat flu is a virus and antibiotics can often
prove ineffective cures or remedies.
They've even been known to aggravate the condition with reactions to
antibiotics causing new problems like diarrhea, vomiting and even liver
disease. Just like their owners, cats and kittens can suffer from a wide
range of health problems including cat colds, distemper, cat sneezing,
vomiting, leptospirosis, stomach flu, cat diarrhea, eye infections, fleas,
leukemia, diarrhea, kidney failure, ear mites, mange, hair loss and
dandruff.
Cat flu can be really nasty, even fatal in kittens, and your pet needs all
the care and attention you can give when it falls victim to it.
It is usually caused by one of two viruses - feline herpes or FHV-1 (which
is also known as feline viral rhinotracheitis or FVR) and feline calici
virus (FCV).
When they are infected cats will start to shed virus particles by way of
saliva and eye and nasal discharges. Healthy cats can carry the virus and
infect other cats by shedding the virus particles.
The virus is easily spread via infected toys or food bowls and even on the
clothes of those who have come into contact with an infected cat.
Attentive nursing of an infected cat is crucial because some of symptoms -
such as mouth ulcers of a blocked nose - can prevent drinking or eating,
often leading to dehydration.
This site won't have the answers to all your questions but hopefully if you
browse around you'll find help and advice on many areas of concern about
your favourite feline - not just the dreaded cat flu causes, symptoms,
treatment and cure. And there's also plenty of discussion about general cat
health matters including cat litter, grooming, urine problems, feeding and
diet, vomiting, spraying, allergies and behaviour, as well as information
about common cat diseases and illnesses.

Information contained in this post is for reference only and is not intended
to provide professional diagnosis or consultation
.. You should seek proper veterinary advice or treatment when your cat or
kitten becomes ill

Cat Flu is the common name given to a group of viruses, which affect the
upper respiratory tract in cats.
Healthy cats are normally able to cope with the illness and it is not
usually fatal, but it can be much nastier and dangerous to kittens and cats
with a weaken immune system.
Anyway we all know how unpleasant the flu can be in ourselves, so it is
something that we should try and protect our pets from catching it in the
first place.
What is cat flu and how is it spread?
The illness itself is normally caused by the Feline Herpes Virus - 1 (FHV-1)
or Feline Calicivirus (FCV).
The disease affects the eyes, nose, mouth and windpipe. In severe cases it
may even spread to the lungs and bronchi.
The viruses are spread much in the same way as human colds. Via sneezing and
contact with the discharges.
It can also be spread via cat food bowls, grooming brushes and bedding. In
fact because some of the viruses can live for a short while outside of the
cats body in the environment, it is a good idea to thoroughly clean the home
environment.
The use of household bleach mixed with water is advisable on washable items.
Cats infected with the flu should be kept separate from other animals to
prevent spreading the disease and although humans cannot catch the disease
from them, we may help spread it from one animal via our hands. It is
important that we do not handle the sick cat often and always thoroughly
wash our hands when we do.
The symptoms

If you notice your cat displaying any of the following symptoms, you should
take them to the vets immediately to have the illness diagnosed
professionally and treated quickly.
Sneezing
Red swollen eyes
Discharge from the eyes or nose
Loss of appetite due to loss of smell
Depression and general lack lustre in behaviour
Mouth ulcers
Drooling
Joint pain, your cat finds it difficult to move around
The symptoms of cat flu can last between 7 and 14 days depending on the
strain of virus.

The Treatment
Viral infections cannot be cured but the symptoms can be managed. Depending
on the symptoms your cat is showing your vet may prescribe, eye drops and or
antibiotics.
In severe cases where the cat cannot eat or drink due to mouth ulcers, your
vet may want to keep your cat at the clinic so that they can be fed
intravenously.
As a caring cat owner the best thing to do is to try and keep your cat as
comfortable as possible.
Make sure they have a warm and comfortable place to sleep

Swab eye and nose discharges with salt water (one teaspoon of salt to one
pint of water)
Try to keep the room well ventilated and not stuffy (you may even want to
place a bowl of steamy water near them to try and help them breath, but
never leave your cat alone with hot water)
Make sure there is plenty of clean fresh water available and try to
encourage them to drink often.
Food, water and the litter try may have to be placed closer to the cat if
they are suffering from joint pain. (When Little Mo had the flu, she could
hardly walk for two days).
Provide very smelly foods like pilchards because they may have a reduced
sense of smell, and cut them up into small pieces
A little cream or ice cream may also tempt them to eat, as it may sooth sore
throats.
Keep the environment quiet and stress free
Prevent cat Flu in the first place
Once a cat has cat flu they may become a carrier of the disease which may
either make them sick again in the future even if they have not come in to
contact with another sick cat, or they may infect other cats.
This is one of the main reasons for having your healthy cat vaccinated
against the disease, as you can never be sure which cats they come into
contact with, you may even inadvertently spread the disease yourself by
stroking a seemingly healthy cat who may be carrying the illness.
The vaccine for cat flu can be given either separately or as a combined
vaccine for other infectious diseases.

Your vet will discuss this with you at your visit

Old March 12th 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

On Mar 12, 11:42*am, "cybercat" wrote:
"dgk" wrote in message

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 20:16:29 +1100, Cazz A
wrote:

cyberpurrs wrote:

"Cazz A" wrote in message
.au...
[...]

some of her cats.- Hide quoted text -

Some become hoarders because well meaning fools think there are always
someone to give an unwant pet a loving home. Long time ago someone
posted a picture of barrels full of dead cats from the shelter.

It was not too long ago when people didn't go to human doctors but
nurse themself back to health with folk remedies. All CAZZ A is
asking for is some info.
Old March 12th 09, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cazz A

wrote:

cyberpurrs wrote:
"Cazz A" wrote in message
[...]

Of course I'm a budding hoarder, but then, isn't everyone to some
degree? The council ranger claimed one kitten, if I thought he'd be
better off with fleas and cat flu, I would've left him there. The kitten
wasn't malnourished or starved of anything, he was taken because he was
excess to council law, no other reason.

Thanks for the advice about worms, I'll keep an eye out.
Old March 13th 09, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Cazz A" wrote

Of course I'm a budding hoarder, but then, isn't everyone to some degree?
The council ranger claimed one kitten, if I thought he'd be better off
with fleas and cat flu, I would've left him there. The kitten wasn't
malnourished or starved of anything, he was taken because he was excess to
council law, no other reason.

You don't give your cats regular vet care. That's grounds enough. Rehome
them.

Old March 13th 09, 06:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cazz A

cybercat wrote:
"Cazz A" wrote
Of course I'm a budding hoarder, but then, isn't everyone to some degree?
The council ranger claimed one kitten, if I thought he'd be better off
with fleas and cat flu, I would've left him there. The kitten wasn't
malnourished or starved of anything, he was taken because he was excess to
council law, no other reason.

You don't give your cats regular vet care. That's grounds enough. Rehome
them.

Funny, I can't ask a question without accusations flying. They get vet
care when it's needed. I knew that treating a viral infection with an
antibiotic doesn't even sound right to me. The vets here are WAY
overcharging - $50 for the consult and whatever they charge for the meds
PER CAT. You try paying that!

Or cybercat, are you referring to the kind of vet care that my dog has
severe reactions to? He was taken to the vet for his vaccination. I told
the vet about his reaction to his previous vaccination, she told me it
was a once off, he wouldn't react so badly again. It took 4 hours to get
home he was in so much pain.