Roly-poly pets: Overweight animals at risk for diseases, death

Old September 17th 09, 12:02 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance, rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health, rec.pets.cats.health+behav, misc.consumers
Barb[_3_]

Default Roly-poly pets: Overweight animals at risk for diseases, death

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/p...yFat17.article

Roly-poly pets: Overweight animals at risk for diseases, death

September 17, 2009

BY CELESTE BUSK Staff Reporter
If your pooch is packing on the pounds or the cat waddles when she struts,
it may be time for a diet.

Pet obesity has emerged as a leading cause of preventable disease and death
in dogs and cats, animal experts warn.

» Click to enlarge image An animal care technician at the Oregon Humane
Society holds temporarily-named feline Goliath, a 20-pound stray whose
girth got him stuck in a pet door while trying to plunder some dog food.
(AP file)

RELATED STORIESTips to help your pet lose weight

"Our pets are in real danger of not living as long as previous generations
and developing serious and costly diseases such as diabetes and other
largely avoidable conditions," said Dr. Ernie Ward, president of the
Association for Pet Obesity Prevention based in Calabash, N.C.

According to a 2008 study by the association, 7.2 million dogs are
estimated to be obese and 26 million overweight. The number in cats is
higher, with 15.7 million estimated to be obese and 35 million overweight.

"These numbers represent a huge problem. Just as we've become a nation of
couch potatoes, our pets have become a nation of lap potatoes -- and that's
not good for anyone," said Ward on his Web site,
www.petobesityprevention.com.

Smaller breeds of dogs had more trouble with their weight than larger
breeds, the study showed. Breeds such as Dachshunds, Chihuahuas, and
Yorkshire terriers were more likely to be classified as overweight than
Labrador retrievers, golden retrievers or German shepherds.

"Smaller, indoor-only dogs tend to have more trouble maintaining a healthy
weight because they don't get adequate exercise. Unfortunately, these are
also the dogs we're seeing a high number of weight-related disorders in,"
Ward said.

Pet experts say excess weight causes or contributes to many painful and
debilitating conditions such as: osteoarthritis, type 2 diabetes,
respiratory disorders, hypertension (high blood pressure), heart disease
and many forms of cancer.

To determine if your dog or cat is overweight, check the rib cage, Ward
said. If your pet is overweight ribs will be difficult to feel under the
fat. If the stomach sags and you can grab a handful of fat, the pet is
overweight. Other obesity indicators are a broad and flat back or if the
waist is barely visible or absent.

If your pet is obese, go to the vet. You should never put your dog or cat
on a diet without the assistance of your vet, according to
www.petobesityprevention.com. There may be a medical condition causing a
pet's excess weight. Some common diseases associated with weight gain in
dogs include hypothyroidism and hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing's disease).

"Too many dogs start on a diet and fail to lose weight simply because the
diet wasn't the problem -- a disease was," Ward said.

Celebrity pet expert Andrea Arden, who was in Chicago recently, says that
an overweight pet is an unhealthy pet. Arden, who has written numerous pet
training books, currently appears on three Animal Planet's shows, "Underdog
to Wonder Dog," "Dogs 101" and "Cats 101."

"It's definitely a problem and a large percentage of the pet-owning
population has pets who are overweight due in great part to the fact that
people often kill with kindness by indulging pets with food and treats,"
Arden said.

One of the first steps is choosing the correct food. Read the label and
look for protein without any animal byproducts, Arden recommends. Avoid
wheat gluten and soy artificial flavors, colors and preservatives.

"Carefully research what's in the bag or can. You, and your pet, are what
you eat," Arden said.

According to www.petobesitypre vention.com, to maintain an ideal weight, a
typical indoor 10-pound cat should get 180 to 200 calories a day. For
indoor dogs, the daily calories a 200 to 275 for 10-pound dogs; 325 to
400 for 20-pound dogs and 700 to 900 for 50-pound dogs.

"Make sure you don't overfeed your dog, don't feed them from the table and
curtail the treats," Arden said.

"Almost in all obesity cases, a dog doesn't have adequate fitness. They're
home with not much to do. They need regular exercise. Don't just take the
dog out for a walk, let them run," Arden said, noting that pet owners need
to gradually introduce pets to exercise.

For those looking for a passive way to exercise the dog while hanging out
on the couch, Arden suggested having the canine go through a regime of
tricks -- roll over, take a bow, sit on hind legs.

"This way the pet gets physically and mentally stimulated," Arden said.

Another exercise trick is to take the food you normally fit in a bowl and
put the food in three to five food stuffable toys, Arden said. "This gives
your dog the ability to hunt for food instead of stuffing out from one big
bowl."

Old September 17th 09, 12:52 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,misc.consumers
dgk

On 17 Sep 2009 11:02:20 -0000, (Barb) wrote:

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/p...yFat17.article

Roly-poly pets: Overweight animals at risk for diseases, death

September 17, 2009

BY CELESTE BUSK Staff Reporter
If your pooch is packing on the pounds or the cat waddles when she struts,
it may be time for a diet.

Pet obesity has emerged as a leading cause of preventable disease and death
in dogs and cats, animal experts warn.

» Click to enlarge image An animal care technician at the Oregon Humane
Society holds temporarily-named feline Goliath, a 20-pound stray whose
girth got him stuck in a pet door while trying to plunder some dog food.
(AP file)

RELATED STORIESTips to help your pet lose weight

Marlo's a small cat but is 12 lbs. Way too much but I give her less
food than the two boys and she still gains weight. I play with her to
get her moving some but she simply is going to be a fat cat.
Old September 17th 09, 06:34 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Char

dgk wrote:
[...]

As long as you feed her kibble she will be a fat cat. Kibble is
primarily grains that you are feeding to a carnivore. Kibble causes
obesity, diabetes, and worse.

Cut out the carbs and feed protein and all will be well. Look into
feeding a raw diet which is species appropriate for cats and dogs as well.

The advice to see a vet usually ends up with the pet being put on a diet
of high fiber kibble so the real culprit isn't addressed. I've seen
countless cats with kidney problems, diabetes, obesity, etc turn their
health around merely by switching to a raw diet.

Stop starving your cat!

Char
Old September 17th 09, 10:39 PM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Char

Confused wrote:
In article ,
Char wrote:

dgk wrote:
[...]

Would grain-free kibble make a difference?

It would be a small improvement. They replace the grain with other
carbs. Instead of pretend food why not the real thing? If you really
can't do raw feed cooked meat. That would be my second choice.

And meat is cheaper than grain free kibble.

Char
Old September 18th 09, 02:26 AM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sighthounds & siberians

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 13:34:44 -0400, Char
wrote:

As long as you feed her kibble she will be a fat cat. Kibble is
primarily grains that you are feeding to a carnivore. Kibble causes
obesity, diabetes, and worse.

There is absolutely no evidence that kibble causes obesity, or
diabetes, or worse, and it is incredibly irresponsible that Char posts
such misinformation.

Cut out the carbs and feed protein and all will be well. Look into
feeding a raw diet which is species appropriate for cats and dogs as well.

Don't look into feeding a cat a raw diet unless you are prepared to do
a lot of research, or else follow a diet that has been researched and
recommended by a nutritionist. Just throwing raw meat at your cat
will not provide him/her with a balanced diet.

The advice to see a vet usually ends up with the pet being put on a diet
of high fiber kibble so the real culprit isn't addressed.

Well, although I respect my vets, I wouldn't consult them for advice
on weight loss or nutrition for my animals. It's not rocket science
to figure out that feeding smaller quantities and increasing exercise
will result in weight loss, just as it does in people. A special diet
is not required.

I've seen
countless cats with kidney problems, diabetes, obesity, etc turn their
health around merely by switching to a raw diet.

I've seen countless cats live long, healthy lives when fed a high
quality kibble. In fact, the youngest I've lost a cat is age 13.

Stop starving your cat!

Stop being an alarmist and posting inaccurate crap!

Old September 18th 09, 02:53 AM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote:

As long as you feed her kibble she will be a fat cat. Kibble is
primarily grains that you are feeding to a carnivore. Kibble causes
obesity, diabetes, and worse.

There is absolutely no evidence that kibble causes obesity, or
diabetes, or worse, and it is incredibly irresponsible that Char posts
such misinformation.

On the contrary, there is lots of evidence, in the way of fat cats
freefeeding on "diet" dry cat food. Feeding your cats that carb laden crap
dehydrates them and fills them up with starch they do not need. If you free
feed, they keep eating because they cannot get what really satisfies
them--MEAT--so they fill up on starch instead. Terrible stuff. You feed
"kibble" because you are cheap and lazy. I feed quality canned food every 12
hours because I care about my cats more than I care about my convenience.

Old September 18th 09, 03:51 AM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sighthounds & siberians

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 21:53:38 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

As long as you feed her kibble she will be a fat cat. Kibble is
primarily grains that you are feeding to a carnivore. Kibble causes
obesity, diabetes, and worse.

There is absolutely no evidence that kibble causes obesity, or
diabetes, or worse, and it is incredibly irresponsible that Char posts
such misinformation.

On the contrary, there is lots of evidence, in the way of fat cats
freefeeding on "diet" dry cat food. Feeding your cats that carb laden crap
dehydrates them and fills them up with starch they do not need. If you free
feed, they keep eating because they cannot get what really satisfies
them--MEAT--so they fill up on starch instead. Terrible stuff. You feed
"kibble" because you are cheap and lazy. I feed quality canned food every 12
hours because I care about my cats more than I care about my convenience.

Please post some of this evidence that kibble causes diabettes, and
that kibble dehydrates cats.

FYI, I also feed quality canned food to my cat, who is not fat. So,
wrong again.

Old September 18th 09, 04:40 AM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

They are carnivores, asswipe. That is all you need to remember. The only
benefit in feeding dry is to the human. Convenience and price.

Old September 18th 09, 04:42 AM posted to soc.support.fat-acceptance,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Granby

I fed mine on the stuff you say is bad for 3 months in hopes of putting some
weight on her. didn't help a bi.

Old September 18th 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote
Please post some of this evidence that kibble causes diabettes, and
that kibble dehydrates cats.

You and anyone else can feed your cats **** if you want to. You can do
anything to them, right? But they need canned food. Quality meat, delivered
with moisture as they would get in the wild. Cats naturally get a lot of
moisture from their food. Dry food ****s this up. When I stopped feeding dry
my cat stopped hurling, too. They gobble the dry food because they're
hungry, and eat too much because they are not satisfied, then it expands in
their stomachs and there you have it, on the rug.

Breeders - Animals Pets Jacker Cat health & behaviour 0 October 24th 08 09:30 AM
Breeders - Animals Pets Jacker Cat community 0 October 24th 08 09:30 AM
PETS ANIMALS lynas Cat anecdotes 0 August 22nd 08 04:03 AM
Pets Can Get 'Superbug' Diseases From Owners Matthew AKA NMR \( NO MORE RETAIL \) Cat anecdotes 0 March 24th 06 01:11 AM
Pets Poisoned And Battered To Death James Marz Cat health & behaviour 2 May 17th 04 03:27 AM