Sleep twitching

Old January 25th 09, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mike[_4_]

Default Sleep twitching

We recently adopted a 6 month old male who is the most good natured thing.

My previous cat was very easily awakened when someone walked by or touched
him and his ears would twitch at sounds even when it seemed he was mostly
asleep.

THIS cat sleeps like a rock! He doesn't seem to notice sounds while he is
sleeping although I know his hearing is fine. When he is sleeping, you can
pet him and he doesn't move much if at all. We can even scoop him up with
two hands like a pizza and move him to another spot or a lap and he just
takes a little looks, shrugs and goes right back to sleep.

When he is sleeping, he often twitches like someone having dreams. His
feet may jerk, the tail twitches, he licks his lips, etc.

How common is this? Has anyone seen a cat who sleeps so deeply and/or one
who tends to twitch in his sleep?

Mike
Old January 25th 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

On Jan 25, 4:09*pm, Mike wrote:
[...]

I think you are fortunate to adopt a cat who has never once been
mistreated.
Old January 25th 09, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Curmudgeon

In article
,
honeybunch wrote:

On Jan 25, 4:09*pm, Mike wrote:
[...]

Agreed. With respect to twitching, my Maine Coon ("Woof") is almost
constantly in motion no matter how deeply he seems to be sleeping and
since he insists on being snuggled up to me under the covers to start
each night, I've had to become accustomed to it. When he begins his
spastic little dance in earnest, I reach down and scratch him between
the ears and he answers with a quiet chirping noise and settles down
for a short bit before the next dream begins.

Purrmudgeon (in the "cats" newsgroups exclusively)

--

Cheers!

Mudge

"And if California slides into the ocean like the mystics and
statistics say it will, I predict this hotel will be standing
until I pay my bill."
Old January 25th 09, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Noon Cat Nick

Mike wrote:
[...]

I've often encountered cats, including all the ones I've had, who twitch
in their sleep. I've owned dogs who do it as well. As best I can tell,
this is a manifestation of dreaming, which all intelligent creatures do.
People twitch in their sleep also. I've seen it, and been told I do it.

As far as sleep so deep it doesn't disturb the cat, this is also common.
My cat is like that. As you've noted, not all cats do this, but many do.
Old January 25th 09, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

Mike cats are like humans they dream they have nightmare just like us
you would be surprised how many humans move when dreaming

My phantom has nightmare I know when he does he comes finds me and uses a
special meow

news

Old January 27th 09, 02:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
news[_2_]

Matthew wrote:
Mike cats are like humans they dream they have nightmare just
like us you would be surprised how many humans move when dreaming

It is not normal for humans to move during the dream stage of sleep. The
brain releases neurotransmitters that paralyze the body.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REM_sleep.

Old January 27th 09, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"news" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:
Mike cats are like humans they dream they have nightmare just
like us you would be surprised how many humans move when dreaming

It is not normal for humans to move during the dream stage of sleep. The
brain releases neurotransmitters that paralyze the body.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REM_sleep.

AS I SAID you would be surprised of how many people move when dreaming

Old February 7th 09, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Frank Pittel

I have a cat that used to twitch as a kitten. He grew out of it with time.

Mike wrote:
[...]

Where does the cat sleep? ollie2 Cat anecdotes 14 August 26th 08 09:42 PM
Twitching Phil Cat health & behaviour 4 June 25th 05 10:39 PM
Facial Twitching in elderly cat Kelly Cat health & behaviour 6 February 22nd 05 07:49 PM
Kismet Twitching While Sleeping Cordn8r Cat health & behaviour 6 December 19th 03 12:41 AM
tail twitching Nowan Cat health & behaviour 4 December 16th 03 02:06 PM