Horrible Tasteless TV Show

Old February 1st 05, 08:23 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "jmcquown"
wrote:

Howard Berkowitz wrote:
In article t,
Tanada wrote:

Howard Berkowitz wrote:

thing when "Star Trek" babbles about diverting the flux capacitor to
the deflector array, in a future where they have apparently lost the
technologies of seat belts

But then they wouldn't have gotten to pretend the ship was tilting! LOL

, terminals that don't explode, circuit
breakers in general, etc.

In "Medical Investigation", not only were they wrong on substantive
detail, the acting isn't very good. There always seemed to be a
guarantee that the team chief would call for an instant airlift of a
drug that was inappropriate to treat the condition. Oddly, the
clinical presentations were consistent with the diseases -- I usually
could diagnose within 10 or 15 minutes, while the cast would fumble
around for the next half hour.

What do you think of this new medical show (if you have seen it) 'House'?
The team spends an hour discussing and trying different treatments on
weirdly obscure (sorry, can't happen) diseases and conditions. Dr. House
finally makes an appearance and the patient and his/her family have no
idea
who this dude is. Not only that, he's constantly popping pain pills for
his
leg (he uses a cane). And, the times I've been in the hospital I didn't
have 4-5 attending physicians. It's ridiculous.

Haven't seen it. Depends on how you mean "attending" -- both for myself
and others, I've encountered situations where many specialties were
involved. At one point, my ex and I went through the list of primary
specialty boards, and, IIRC, we had just missed seeing someone in
aerospace medicine and one or two others. We cheated a little -- we had
no furless children, but her allergist was dual-boarded in pediatrics.
Old February 1st 05, 05:32 PM
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:08:04 -0500, "Kim Walters"
yodeled:

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
in article , John F. Eldredge at
wrote on 1/30/05 7:15 PM:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:32:36 -0600, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Howard Berkowitz wrote:
In article t,
Tanada wrote:

Howard Berkowitz wrote:

thing when "Star Trek" babbles about diverting the flux capacitor to
the deflector array, in a future where they have apparently lost the
technologies of seat belts

But then they wouldn't have gotten to pretend the ship was tilting!

LOL

At a science fiction convention, I once saw the blooper reel from the
original Star Trek series. One out-take had one of those scenes where
all of the bridge crew topple out of their chairs, in order to suggest
that the ship has just been jolted hard. Unfortunately, one actor got
his left and right confused, and thus fell in the opposite direction
to everyone else!

Another of my favorite out-takes was one where Kirk and Spock were
striding towards the elevator doors. The show was operating on too
low a budget to have actual hydraulic doors, so the doors were
operated by stage crew pulling on ropes. Unfortunately, whomever was
operating the ropes missed their cue, and William Shatner walked right
into the door, which was supposed to be open by the time he reached
it. He turned around, rubbing his nose and grinning.

I saw that reel! James Doohan came to speak at a local college when I was

pre-teen and I made my sister drag me to it. His talk was very interesting
and then he showed the blooper reel. I love those.

Me too - He came to my college. He really is a class act. I wonder if I
still have a copy of that tape. A group of us travel down to SUNY O a year
or so later when George Takai was speaking there.

Spare a thought, and some purrs for dear old Jimmy Doohan, as he is
now suffering from Alzheimer's.

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh
Old February 1st 05, 05:50 PM
Karen

wrote on 1/30/05 7:15 PM:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:32:36 -0600, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Howard Berkowitz wrote:
In article t,
Tanada wrote:

Howard Berkowitz wrote:

[...]

Yes, I know he is not doing too well. It's really a cursed disease.

Old February 2nd 05, 05:01 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article ,
Howard Berkowitz wrote:

What do you think of this new medical show (if you have seen it)
'House'?
The team spends an hour discussing and trying different treatments on
weirdly obscure (sorry, can't happen) diseases and conditions. Dr.
House
finally makes an appearance and the patient and his/her family have no
idea
who this dude is. Not only that, he's constantly popping pain pills
for
his
leg (he uses a cane). And, the times I've been in the hospital I
didn't
have 4-5 attending physicians. It's ridiculous.

I watched it tonight. There was some good acting here and there, but the
medicine made little sense. I remember one exchange where one of the
junior doctors suggested a vasculitis, and House said no, it was
Wegener's granulomatosis. But--Wegener's is a spscific type of the
class of vasculitis diseases.

Yes, in a teaching hospital, you very well may have teams of doctors,
but there is only one that has formal responsibility as the primary
physician. Some people use "attending" as interchangeable with the
primary, but in many hospitals, "attending" means a fully certified
physician, while a senior resident may the primary physician.

Even with a DNR order, you do NOT turn off the respirator on a conscious
patient, whom you believe to be respirator dependent, without
significant sedation. Yes, I know of a few cases where a knowledgeable
patient requested no terminal sedation, but those were extremely special
cases. Turning off a ventilator on an aware patient means a very
horrible death. Unless there was an extremely specific informed
consent, witnessed patient request, and probably review by the hospital
ethics committee, that would be malpractice if not felony.

With tonight's episode, some of the test results were vague enough that
I couldn't figure out what they were describing. The type of the
pneumonia remained vague, and I couldn't understand why they wanted IVIG
for that. For some of the other diagnoses, the treatment is the same.

I don't think I'll watch it again.