Super Fleas

Old May 28th 11, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default Super Fleas

The night before we became Pepper's family,s he was given a bath by the
people who rescued her to get rid of most of her fleas. She certainly
didn't have very many when we picked her up, but to be certain, we
stopped on the way home and picked up some flea drops (for the back of
the neck) from the supermarket to finish them off.

A week later, she was covered in fleas. But as I'd already treated her,
I couldn't give her any more treatments for another 3 weeks.

We gave her a flea bath every week.

By the end of each week, she was crawling with fleas again.

As soon as the month was up, I got her some Frontline from the pet shop
(knowing that its a good brand) and treated her. It seemed to work.

But within a week, she was covered with fleas again.

So, the bathing continued on a weekly basis, each time decimating the
incredible flea population, and each time, within a week, the flea
population would be back.

after the month was up, I hit them with Advantix from the vet. Advantix
is the most expensive variety, but is supposed to be the most effective.
And indeed, within 12 hours of application, I couldn't see a flea on her.

But within a week, she had fleas again. Not so many as previously, but
still, fleas were there.

And so the poor dog had to endure weekly baths to get rid of the fleas.

This time around, I decided that the spot-on treatments weren't working
and I went with Combatran, a pill that is supposed to kill all fleas
within 24 hours.

And so it did! And I was most pleased. But within a week, she had fleas
again.

The cats get their monthly dose of Advantage, and are not afflicted by
the little black horrors. Unlike previous times where we've had a flea
problem, I am also not being bitten by them (they generally seem to
prefer me over the other two-legs in the house). These are not normal
fleas.

Its nearly winter here, so its not the usual time of year to be
inundated with fleas (thats late spring). And I would suspect that its
not re-infection from the outside, because Pickle goes out far more
often that Pepper, but Pickle is flea-free. Methinks that these are the
descendants of her original flea load. And I fear that by treating them
with such an array of flea killing materials, instead of wiping the
population out, all I've done is bred super fleas, fleas that can
withstand anything I throw at them.

Thankfully Pepper seems totally unbothered by fleas (unlike Fluffy who
would literally chew her hair out and make herself red-raw if she got
fleas).

But boy am I sick of plucking fleas off her. And she's sick of flea baths.

And I don't really know what else to do.

Yowie

Old May 28th 11, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Yowie wrote

But boy am I sick of plucking fleas off her. And she's sick of flea baths.

And I don't really know what else to do.

Ivomec is known to work well. Why not give it a try?

Old May 28th 11, 01:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Patok[_2_]

What you write doesn't make sense, unless you have external
re-infection. Do you clean up/vacuum/spray wherever the bitch
sleeps/lies? There may be eggs/larvae both in her hair and in the
places she lies. Otherwise, she wouldn't be re-infected within a week.
Make sure to vacuum/cleanse with chlorine bleach the places where she
lies, *and* bathe her after she has had the killing medicine. Note
that the larvae don't drink blood, so they wouldn't be affected by the
medicine, if it is ingested by the dog. The simplest and harmlesest,
if impossible solution would be DDT, of course.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
*
Old May 28th 11, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Spock-n-Persephone

It certainly sounds as though you have a resistant population.
Insecticide resistance in fleas is a growing problem. Look up the
active ingredient and see if there is anything on insecticide
resistance in fleas. You may have to resort to something that
smothers the fleas rather than poisons them - similar to using hair
conditioner to smother head lice (FWIW, insecticide resistance is
already a major problem in head lice).

Alternately, flea-bombing the house and vacuuming every day (*groan*!)
might be the way to go - get rid of the off-dog breeding sites.

It sucks. It really sucks. It really, literally sucks.

Tish

Old May 28th 11, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

What a mess! When I had indoor-outdoor cats, we had a real flea problem for
a while, and they bit me too. Periodically I'd have the house and yard
sprayed while the cats were at the vet for a flea dip. Periodically the
fleas came back. However, once I started using Advantage, I had no problem,
and never have had since. Sorry, I wish I had a solution to suggest.

Joy

Old May 28th 11, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Purrs that your eugenics program don't succeed.
Old May 28th 11, 06:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On May 28, 12:40*am, Yowie wrote:
[...]

Is Program licensed in Australia? It's a monthly spot on or six
monthly injection which damages the chitin development process, so the
larvae can't develop into adults. As mammals don't have any chitin,
it's supposed to be harmless to cats and dogs. I've been using it for
years on my cats, and haven't seen more than half a dozen fleas since
I started using it, which probably were imported from outside.

You need to kill the eggs and larvae, as well as the adults. We moved
into our current house with three flealess cats. The previouis owners
had had three flea-ridden cats. We used Frontline on the cats to kill
any that were feeding at the time, and a spray from the vets to spray
the house, especially nooks and crannies. Indorex is what the vet
recommends now. Together with the Program, it dealt with the problem
at the start.

You have my sympathies, I lived in a student house that was infested
with fleas after a housemate and his kittens moved out. Good luck!

Jeanette
Old May 28th 11, 09:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 28/05/2011 3:49 PM, NettieCat wrote:
On May 28, 12:40 am, wrote:
[...]

It looks like it is indeed available! Thanks for the tip.

It's a monthly spot on or six
monthly injection which damages the chitin development process, so the
larvae can't develop into adults. As mammals don't have any chitin,
it's supposed to be harmless to cats and dogs. I've been using it for
years on my cats, and haven't seen more than half a dozen fleas since
I started using it, which probably were imported from outside.

I was mistaken when I said Combatran (thats worming medicine for
humans!). The pill we used was Comfortis (Spinosad).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinosad

You need to kill the eggs and larvae, as well as the adults. We moved
into our current house with three flealess cats. The previouis owners
had had three flea-ridden cats. We used Frontline on the cats to kill
any that were feeding at the time, and a spray from the vets to spray
the house, especially nooks and crannies. Indorex is what the vet
recommends now. Together with the Program, it dealt with the problem
at the start.

The weird thing is that the cats and I are flea free. Since Pepper
insists on sleeping *in* my bed, under the covers, snuggled up next to
me (wish she was a cat!) If her and thereby my bedding had flea larvae,
I would have thought I'd be absolutely covered in flea bites, but I'm
fine. Its weird.

You have my sympathies, I lived in a student house that was infested
with fleas after a housemate and his kittens moved out. Good luck!

If only the roaches ate fleas!

Yowie

Old May 28th 11, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Yowie wrote

The weird thing is that the cats and I are flea free. Since Pepper insists
on sleeping *in* my bed, under the covers, snuggled up next to me (wish
she was a cat!) If her and thereby my bedding had flea larvae, I would
have thought I'd be absolutely covered in flea bites, but I'm fine. Its
weird.

If I'm not mistaken I think there are different species of flea, some that
go exclusively for dogs.

Old May 28th 11, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Pat wrote:
Yowie wrote

The weird thing is that the cats and I are flea free. Since Pepper insists
on sleeping *in* my bed, under the covers, snuggled up next to me (wish
she was a cat!) If her and thereby my bedding had flea larvae, I would
have thought I'd be absolutely covered in flea bites, but I'm fine. Its
weird.

If I'm not mistaken I think there are different species of flea, some that
go exclusively for dogs.

I though fleas were pretty non-discriminating. They may be associated
with a particular animal. but they'll bite anything that has blood! I
worked for a nightclub once, where I discovered a couple of mice in a
cupboard eating packages of saltines. We got rid of the mice with a
quick visit from the exterminator, but it took a little more
concentrated effort to get rid of the fleas that switched to our
customers when there were no longer mice to bite!

Super Cat Magic Mood Jeep Cat anecdotes 2 August 26th 09 09:18 PM
Top 7 Super Foods To Eat! [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 0 October 3rd 07 08:26 PM
Super Vets saffie02 Cats - misc 0 January 12th 06 03:52 PM
Super Cute! Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 4 October 11th 05 06:21 PM
NEW WEBSITE IS SUPER Jan Cat health & behaviour 0 July 31st 05 09:25 PM