Cat Treats

Old April 13th 16, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

Default Cat Treats

On 4/11/2016 5:22 PM, jmcquown wrote:

I really didn't know what to do with Buffy. She was already a little
chubby when I adopted her. She gets a small portion of canned food
every day plus 1/2 a cup of dry, portioned out morning and evening. No
matter how much we play/exercise she is bound to be a chubby little cat.

My cats get canned too, but the only dry food is 1/4 cup in each of
their bowls, so 1/2 cup might just be way too much.

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl
Old April 14th 16, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

MaryL wrote:

On 4/12/2016 12:41 PM, Bastette wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

Bastette wrote:

One thing you could consider, if you're not already doing so, is to
buy grain-free cat food.

She likes her dry Purina One Indoor Advantage cat food. The first
ingredient is turkey. I don't think a half a cup of that a day is
excessive.

If you don't think it's necessary for her to lose weight - and it sounds
like you don't - then my suggestion about grain-free food is moot.

Actually, a suggestion for grain-free food is excellent, regardless of
weight. Cats are obligate carnivores and do not digest carbohydrates.
Also, cats that later develop diabetes are usually cats that have been
fed a diet of dry food.

I agree, but since Buffy likes her dry food, I didn't want to push that.

Licky eats only wet food, except occasionally when I'm out of town for more
than one night (which is quite rare these days). Then I leave some grain-
free dry food for him. That way, if my friend who comes to feed him is late,
he won't get hungry while waiting.

One good thing that's happened recently, which might be the result of having
an all-wet diet, is that he no longer has blood in his urine. At least, I'm
no longer seeing little droplets of blood near the litterbox and near his
food dish. He had that problem for *years*, and yes, I brought him to the
vet quite a few times for it. He didn't ever get a blockage, but it worried
me, and anyway, it was probably painful. The vet and I put it down to stress,
because he's a pretty skittish and easily frightened cat. I tried special
diets, but (1) he hated them, and (2) they didn't help. I don't think his
recovery is due to Roxy being gone because I noticed it before that.

--
Joyce

- Mommy loves you too my sweaty litter baby fire
- Ummm what mom?
- MY SWEET LITTLE BABY GIRL!! sorry honey!
-- damnyouautocorrect.com
Old April 15th 16, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:

Bastette wrote:

One thing you could consider, if you're not already doing so, is to
buy grain-free cat food.

She likes her dry Purina One Indoor Advantage cat food. The first
ingredient is turkey. I don't think a half a cup of that a day is
excessive.

If you don't think it's necessary for her to lose weight - and it sounds
like you don't - then my suggestion about grain-free food is moot.

Actually, a suggestion for grain-free food is excellent, regardless of
weight. Cats are obligate carnivores and do not digest carbohydrates.
Also, cats that later develop diabetes are usually cats that have been
fed a diet of dry food.

I agree, but since Buffy likes her dry food, I didn't want to push that.

That comment was really meant for others on the NG who may not be aware
of the correlation between grains/dry food and diabetes. I realize that
Buffy's diet is pretty well set. Ironically, I have diabetes, and I can
see a direct correlation between carbs and spikes in my BG even on my
own meter.

Licky eats only wet food, except occasionally when I'm out of town for more
than one night (which is quite rare these days). Then I leave some grain-
free dry food for him. That way, if my friend who comes to feed him is late,
he won't get hungry while waiting.

My sister does that same thing. Even though she has a professional pet
sitting service, she worries that something could happen to prevent them
from getting to her house to take care of her furbabies.

One good thing that's happened recently, which might be the result of having
an all-wet diet, is that he no longer has blood in his urine. At least, I'm
no longer seeing little droplets of blood near the litterbox and near his
food dish. He had that problem for *years*, and yes, I brought him to the
vet quite a few times for it. He didn't ever get a blockage, but it worried
me, and anyway, it was probably painful. The vet and I put it down to stress,
because he's a pretty skittish and easily frightened cat. I tried special
diets, but (1) he hated them, and (2) they didn't help. I don't think his
recovery is due to Roxy being gone because I noticed it before that.

That's good news. Years ago, I had a cat that had many instances of
bladder infection, and he did have blockage. The thing that helped the
most--and even completely stopped the problem--was to give him vitamin C
twice a day.

MaryL

Old April 15th 16, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 4/14/2016 5:38 PM, Bastette wrote:

One good thing that's happened recently, which might be the result of having
an all-wet diet, is that he no longer has blood in his urine. At least, I'm
no longer seeing little droplets of blood near the litterbox and near his
food dish. He had that problem for*years*, and yes, I brought him to the
vet quite a few times for it.

That is fantastic and a good reason for more moisture filled food! Good
going meowmie!!

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl
Old April 16th 16, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 4/12/2016 9:44 PM, Cheryl wrote:
On 4/11/2016 5:22 PM, jmcquown wrote:

I really didn't know what to do with Buffy. She was already a little
chubby when I adopted her. She gets a small portion of canned food
every day plus 1/2 a cup of dry, portioned out morning and evening. No
matter how much we play/exercise she is bound to be a chubby little cat.

My cats get canned too, but the only dry food is 1/4 cup in each of
their bowls, so 1/2 cup might just be way too much.

Thanks, Cheryl. Persia had to have prescription food and only got Fancy
Feast as a treat once a week (she would NOT eat the canned Rx food).

I am still a newbie when it comes to feeding a cat with no health
problems.

I've been giving Buffy a 1/2 can of Sheba in the morning and 1/4 cup of
Purina One Indoor dry. Then I give her another 1/4 cup for nighttime
grazing. Maybe I should give her the other half of the can in the
evening and skip the over-night kibble.

I'm still learning.

Jill
Old April 17th 16, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 07:39:19 -0230, Cheryl
wrote:

A vet suggested to me that I put food in those plastic balls with holes
in them so that my rather large cats would get some exercise. I'm not
sure that this was ever effective, since I put treats in them to
increase the cats' motivation, and the cats seemed to expect the treats
in addition to their meals.

Sam (RB) always took charge, and ensures that plenty of treats were
removed from the ball, while Cinnamon lurked in the vicinity waiting to
sneak a piece or two.

I found a bag of cat treats after Sam died, and thought, well, I suppose
I should see if Cinnamon can figure out how to get them. I put some in a
ball - this one is almost like the one shown:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images...all-64922R.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/jjm5s7p

So Cinnamon hunkered down next to it and stared at it. You could almost
see the wheels turning in her head. She started batting at it
tentatively, pausing, thinking a bit, then patting it in a different
way. I'm still not sure she quite understands why some patting produces
treats and some doesn't (she's not exactly an Einstein of cats, tending
more to beauty than brain), but she's managed to become quite efficient
at getting treats!

Three* of my four cats are addicted to Temptations. And they now sell
a little dispenser type thing for the Temptations and when I fill it
and leave it on the floor, it's only a short period of time before one
of them has batted it all over the floor and eaten the Temptations.

* Scooter is the one that is immune to Temptations. He sniffs at them.
Stares at them. He knows that the other cats go crazy for them. But
then he walks away.