"The Russian Blue" book, anyone?

Old March 9th 04, 03:02 AM
Tim May

In article , Chaney
wrote:

Didn't see the start of this thread...but...you find it in every ng...top
posting was the norm 10+ years ago...some ng's frown on it...some ng's love
it...I still do it coz I was doing it 10+ years ago...I'm not a moron...I'm
not inconsiderate...a plonker maybe...BUT...you know what the post is
about...and now you don't have to trawl through tons of sh*t to read my
reply...

I was posting in 1988 and definitely didn't see _either_ top- or
bottom-posting as the norm. What I saw amongst the clueful was
judicious editing and a habit of starting a reply on the first
screenful of quoted text.

For long quoted posts, this usually means "middle-posting."

For this post here, where I only quoted a paragraph, posting after the
quote makes sense.

Top-posting is sometimes OK, but is usually inferior to at least
providing _some_ context.

Mostly I wish people would learn to use their editos instead of quoting
a long article and adding some short comment at the top (or the
bottom).

--Tim May
Old March 9th 04, 03:04 AM
Tim May

In article , Ted Davis
wrote:

Bottom quoting, to call it what it really is, is a Microsoft invention
- pushed on users *because it is the opposite of common practice and
common sense*.

Nonsense. Both top- and bottom-posting are artifacts of not bothering
to edit quoted material. Both were being used by the lazy long before
Microsoft Explorer or Outlook or whatever it is you think is a MS plot
to encourage some particular style.

--Tim May

Old March 9th 04, 09:42 PM
kilikini

"Jacqueline" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 18:44:15 -0000, "AK" wrote:

I tentatively add to this thread, just my opinion, hopefully I won't get
flamed!

There is no right or wrong answer to this issue. In the UK where I live
cats have no natural predators so cats are not going to be killed by

other
animals.

(snip)

Cats don't have to be killed just by other animals. I live in an area of
the U.S. where there is a HUGE foreigner population. If a cat crosses into
a neighbor's yard, quite often it is killed and put into the neighbor's
dinner. NOT KIDDING! Cats are missing all of the time. It's a local
"joke" to say, oh, your neighbor ate it, but it's really not a joke. My
last neighborhood was mostly caucasion so I didn't have a problem with
letting my cats out. I currently live in a different area that is locally
known for eating dogs and cats (I watched a dog get beaten to its death this
last Christmas day for the family's Christmas dinner - again, I am NOT
kidding). Thank god I live in an apartment setting where I can't let my
cats out.

kilikini

Old March 10th 04, 01:32 AM
Gwenhwyfaer de Tierveil

Quoth AK:
There is no right or wrong answer to this issue. In the UK where I
live cats have no natural predators so cats are not going to be killed
by other animals. In the UK it is the norm to allow cats out. My cat

True enough; it's fairly normal to let dogs out too. However, cats do
have one unnatural predator in the UK - humans; some humans simply don't
know how to treat animals. If I know that the guy 5 doors down likes to
take pot shots at animals, or I find one of my cats coming home with a
lead pellet in his or her flank, I'm not going to be entirely encouraged
to let my cats out in future.(However, I'll also be looking to move to a
better area...)

There is also the issue of feline overcrowding; simply put, there are so
many pet cats in Britain that they're having serious knock-on effects on
the native wildlife (small birds, rodents, etc), and they're also in far
heavier competition for territory than they used to be. Catfights can
get nasty - it's not unheard of for a cat to lose an eye in a fight -
and you can't always hear your cats... plus if you do the responsible
thing and have your cats neutered, they're at an automatic disadvantage
to any intact cats that come along.

Even in the UK, indoor or outdoor is not a cut-and-dried issue.

has a cat flap and he comes and goes as he pleases, we are nowhere
near road traffic, in fact we have a large lake and about 25 swans
that he has made friends with.

Ooh, I'm all envious! So is Firstborn...
--
Gwenhwyfaer (sand and green really don't mix on a cat)

some girls wander by themselves

Old April 16th 04, 12:55 AM

Please, if you're responding to a message generally, note that all you
really need to quote of that message is enough context to let the rest
of us know which message you're responding to! After that, whether
you're responding at the top or the bottom is insignificant - it just

Yes

Old June 8th 04, 02:02 AM
Another

Tim has it exactly right. Though some writers are so good and other
readers so patient that the question does not arise, most of us
appreciate the few seconds of editing that retain the gist of a
discussion without filling the screen with excess characters.

George