Mom! [Somewhat OT]

Old November 20th 04, 08:21 PM
Yoj

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I just posted a rant in answer to Jill's rant about her family and

wanted to
add an example. Even after all my avowals, I still try to get my

mom's
(never-forthcoming) approval.

So...

Since I got such good feedback from you guys on my "...With Mommy"

stories
here I thought I'd print them out and send them to her to read. Her
response was, "To be honest I didn't like them at all. They were too

bloody
(how could you allow an animal to bite and scratch you like that?).

They
were too disgusting, I gagged when I read about you drinking coffee

with cat
boogers in it, and if an animal had gotten anywhere near my food I

would
have thrown it and the animal out!"

Sigh, they were just supposed to be funny anecdotes mom!

Now, I have had one of my "Prissy" stories published in a real live

book,
"The Cats of Our Lives", edited by Franklin Dohanyos (you can still

buy it
on Amazon.com - ISBN 1-55972-487-0), "Prissy Adopts a Duck", page 171.

You would think that, with that affirmation, it wouldn't bother me

that my
cat-hating mom didn't like my stories, but it still stings. Right

after the
above comments she started telling me about my older brother who had a
write-up in the Parish paper about his award-winning wood carving.

Message
received: Nothing you do is any good, everything your brother does is
excellent. The sad part is that I am extremely proud of my talented

genius
of a brother, but mom makes it so hard for us to get along!

Sorry, I'll get off my rant now (it seems to be the week for rants!!).

Hugs,

CatNipped

(((((((((((((CatNipped))))))))))))))

I know it would be much better coming from your family, but *I* think
it's fantastic, but not surprising, that you had a story published.

Joy

Old November 20th 04, 08:23 PM
Yoj

On 2004-11-20, Sherry penned:

Sorry, but I am absolutely laughing. Not at you, but you made me

wonder
what
my *father* would say if he read this group. He hates cats. He

blames the
cats on every affliction or illness we have. But Bast got the last

word:
The
*very last thing* my grandmother said to him before she died was,

"Take
care
of my cat." And he did, LOL, for eight years. It was an outdoor

kitty,
but
STILL!!! Sherry

My dad gets around his cat aversion by referring to Oscar as "the

puppy."

Hey, whatever works.

Of course, my cat-averse father still bought Oscar mousies while he

was
visiting, and crawled around on his hands and knees playing with her

when
she
was a kitten. No one can withstand the power of the kitten!

--
monique

Yes, we learned that when my mom came to visit after we got Sam the

demon
Siamese. Hubby picked parents up at the airport, dropped mom by new

home,
and went to old home with dad to pick up some stuff. Did not warn Mom

etc.

When they came back Mom was sitting on the sofa, Sam was sitting on

Mom.
Purring and being generally a sweet lovebug, but refusing to move.

And she
was afraid to make him move. And that is how he managed to win her

over.

Jo

G My Dad was definitely a dog person, but when my parents came to
visit me, Pyewacket (RB) chose his lap to settle in whenever he sat down
in the living room. Before the end of the visit, he was calling Pye
"puppy-cat".

Joy

Old November 20th 04, 08:23 PM
Yoj

Old November 20th 04, 08:45 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:22:03 GMT, "CatNipped"
wrote:

[...]

Very cool! Congratulations!

You would think that, with that affirmation, it wouldn't bother me that my
cat-hating mom didn't like my stories, but it still stings. Right after the
above comments she started telling me about my older brother who had a
write-up in the Parish paper about his award-winning wood carving. Message
received: Nothing you do is any good, everything your brother does is
excellent. The sad part is that I am extremely proud of my talented genius
of a brother, but mom makes it so hard for us to get along!

Sorry, I'll get off my rant now (it seems to be the week for rants!!).

Hugs,

CatNipped

My mother was sort of like that. No matter what I did, it was never
good enough. I used to joke that I could be President of the United
States, and her only comment would be "When are you going to get
married and give me a grandchild?"

I did get married before she died, but she'll wait forever for that
grandchild. She's got plenty of grandkitties, though ;-)

Ginger-lyn

Old November 21st 04, 04:43 AM
Tanada

Ginger-lyn Summer wrote:

My mother was sort of like that. No matter what I did, it was never
good enough. I used to joke that I could be President of the United
States, and her only comment would be "When are you going to get
married and give me a grandchild?"

I did get married before she died, but she'll wait forever for that
grandchild. She's got plenty of grandkitties, though ;-)

Ginger-lyn

I once pointed out to my half sister that she'd never said anything
complimentary about me. She paused for about a minute or so (felt like
hours) then said "you produce beautiful babies."

I'm always weirded out by the way some parents try to divide and conquer
their children like this. Rob's parents (according to his sister) boast
or at least talk about us a lot. We hear all about his sister and how
wonderful her family is. My parents would blame one of us for another
person's deeds, or say something on the order of "your brother/sister
hates you and I don't know what you did to them."

We've tried so hard not to keep the kids in a competition, I hope we've
succeeded.

Pam S.

Old November 21st 04, 05:38 AM
Sherry

I once pointed out to my half sister that she'd never said anything
complimentary about me. She paused for about a minute or so (felt like
hours) then said "you produce beautiful babies."

Do we have the same sister, by any chance? Mine is the queen of double-sworded
compliments. Most recent was, "You look great. Did you get a Wonder Bra?"

Sherry

Old November 21st 04, 05:43 AM
Takayuki

"CatNipped" wrote:

Now, I have had one of my "Prissy" stories published in a real live book,
"The Cats of Our Lives", edited by Franklin Dohanyos (you can still buy it
on Amazon.com - ISBN 1-55972-487-0), "Prissy Adopts a Duck", page 171.

You would think that, with that affirmation, it wouldn't bother me that my
cat-hating mom didn't like my stories, but it still stings.

Concatulations! I did like the one about the duckling, and I know
you've always wanted to get them published.

I wouldn't worry about what your mom said. If she doesn't like cats,
I don't think she could like stories about an especially naughty cat.