OT - I'm *REALLY* Angry Now

Old February 1st 10, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default OT - I'm *REALLY* Angry Now

I don't know if I wrote about this here but...

I've been webmaster for Gulf Coast Mensa for the last 10 years. I've won 20
"National Mensa" awards for the work I did on it (all done by hand, over
thousands of hours, of web Architecture (applications on the site were
database-driven). Someone on the "Board of Directors" decided they wanted a
"hipper", more "with it" site that uses all the new social software. I
tried to tell them that they were opening themselves up to a HUGE security
breach, but they wouldn't listen, they wanted on of the little cookie cutter
like sites that other group (who didn't have anybody who "knows" web
architecture like I do).

They asked for volunteers for the job of webmaster, and one little
techie-noids on the board jumped all over that. She outright STOLE an
entire site from North Texas Mensa - here, look at the two:

http://www.gcmensa.org/
http://northtexasmensa.org/ntm/index.php

She still has the NTM webmasters name still on pages of the site (like the
"MoQuotes). I had no idea this was going on.

I learned that I had been "let go" when I read about it in the paper
newsletter that goes to members. I was, understandable, angry at the way
this was done (my feelings were very hurt). I told them that this was a
really crappy way to treat someone who had dedicated so much time and
devotion to the site for ten years (every 6 months or so the Board gives out
"Service Awards" to different people who did this or that, but I never once
got one - I didn't mind or complain, I was a 'stay-at-home" member,
disliking the meetings and parties). I wrote a note in one of the group's
email distribution list and I guess quite a few people agreed with me that
this was a disgraceful way to treat me.

Then, just a few moments ago I opened up a package from the new webmaster,
MaDiana. It was a "service award" worded:

"Certificate of Eternal Gratitude
Presented to
Lori Crews
for
outstanding dedication,
service and commitment
as
Gulf Coast Mensa Web Master
by
Arturo Huerta ~ LocSec
and the Gulf Coast Mensa Board of Directors
Thursday, January 7, 2010 ~ Houston, Texas

Along with this they sent a $25 Visa Gift Card. You can look at the card
and tell it's been hanging around in someone's pocket since Christmas and
someone just said, "here toss this in too".

What do you think, should I send the whole package back, or keep it for a
while (like DH suggested) to decided the best way to react to this blatant
insult?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 1st 10, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Oops, forgot to post the link to the award (I wouldn't have believed the
sarcastic text had I not seen it myself):

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#/p...&id=1172937981

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 1st 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_7_]

"CatNipped" wrote in
:

[...]

I'd spend the money and not thank them. They're not worth your time.

Bobble
Old February 1st 10, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

i would spend the money on the owners, and i am afraid oi would have to
refrain from belonging when the dues are payable, i wouldn't explain just
not pay and since you don't attend the meeting, and have email of those you
do like save the dues money also, Lee

Old February 1st 10, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Oh, for sure I was not intending to renew - why pay $60 a year to get
treated like that when I have 2 children to do the honors?!! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 1st 10, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

CN, I have given this serious thought. My first reaction was to tell
you to do nothing -- ignore it. My considered reaction is to do nothing
-- ignore it. Don't acknowledge it in any way and someday when they
need information or counsel, just be too busy. If it makes you feel
better, dig a hole and bury it and send the check to a charity. And
don't tell anyone except a good friend about it. Best wishes. MLB
Old February 1st 10, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

CatNipped wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I'd say that was a slap in the face with a cold wet dish towel. I
don't know what I'd do, maybe buy them something sarcastic with it and
send it to them.

Pam S.
Old February 1st 10, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote:
[fired as webmaster for a Mensa site]
Oops, forgot to post the link to the award (I wouldn't have believed
the sarcastic text had I not seen it myself):

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#/p...&id=1172937981

Some of us aren't on Facebook, can you copy that somewhere accessible?

I was in Mensa briefly. Interesting scene if your hobby is collecting
neurotics.

I was invited to join after taking an intelligence test but I said no.
I was intelligent enough to decide that Mensa was not for me.
Tweed

Old February 1st 10, 08:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

As a general rule there just is no way to reply to that kind of
nonsense. But a gift card is a gift card. (probably, bet its been
used). Buy nip.

They are so not worth it. Sometimes we have to suck it up and put up
with that kind of **** from family and hope they grow up.
Acquaintances, no way.

You have confirmed my main reason for avoiding MENSA. I don't like
registering guns. Why on earth would we want to register brains.
Tested intelligence is only a fraction of what makes a person who
they are and of what they are worth.

Jo

Old February 1st 10, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 2/1/2010 1:44 PM, CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Here's what I would do: Spend the gift card, take the "certificate" our
of the frame and use it to line a litter box with (put a more treasured
certificate/award/picture in the frame, if you want - it's a free
frame! - or toss it in with the detritus you deliver to goodwill or
'rummage sale' people), or just let the cats shred it at will... Barney
loves shredding paper....

Notify the North Texas Mensa people that the dweebs have stolen their
design - it *IS* copyrighted, after all - and let the chips fall where
they may.

But, hey, you do what *YOU* want - after all, they did what *they*
wanted... eg

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY