Purrs for Lilly Please

Old February 8th 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

Default Purrs for Lilly Please

I was observing Lilly the day before yesterday & I happened to notice
late in the afternoon that she was coughing. I picked her up for
cuddles ans reassuance, and noticed that she was dribbling too, so I
called my vet & asked if could bring her straight down for her to look
her over & she agreed of course.

Once @ the vet's, she looked her over & her temperature was 102deg , &
her anal sacks were secreting nasty mucus with blood too. My vet
advised me to bring her home because she had no night cover, & to
starve her in case she need to open her up yesterday.
( Lilly had been due to be spayed on Monday morning, but the vet was
called out on an emergency,so they cancelled & we agreed to
reschedule.)
I starved her as advised, & returned her to be observed. During
observation she did a blood panel on Lilly which revealed that she did
indeed have a raised white blood level, so she administered
antibiotics via injection.

Again, the vet was called out on another emergency (we live in a very
rural area with plenty of farms & horses around, so this is quite
normal).Before leaving she called to tell me the results of the
bloods, saying that she wanted to see how Lilly responded to the
antibiotics overnight, then take the decision as to whether to do an
exploratory op on her to see if the infection had only reached the
vulva, or simply spay her. My reply was to tell her that she must do
what she thought was best for Lilly.
Overnight last night, we had a very substantial fall of snow & my vet
called me first thing this morning to tell me that nothing would be
happening today because she couldn't dig her way out of her home.
However, she had a fair night, is still coughing a bit but drooling
quite a lot still. Since then, I rang the practise nurse to ask her
how Lilly is faring today & she tells me that there she has been
eating, drinking, but a bit happier than yesterday...but in her
opinion she feels that it is both possible that Lilly might have a
touch of flu, & something lodged in her throat!
I can help but wonder how this can be because Lilly is injected
against flu. Can this happen?
I also can't help but wonder if this is a wasted day if there is a
problem with a blockage in her throat, but I can't do anything because
of this snowfall- Most people are snowed in in our area & I would
think it is probably the same in most other practises in the area too.
Any Purrs would be appreciated however, for Lilly who is feeling
rather poorly & in need of some soft ones to comfort her.
I am just waiting for staff changeover before going to visit her @ the
practice..(assuming that the nurse can reach it of course!!)
S.

Old February 8th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 8 Feb, 13:35, "sheelagh" wrote:
[...]

oh dear, sounds awful , I bet you are very worried, any chance you can
bring her something from home to comfort her and which will have
familiar smells on it? providing of course that it will not bring
infection with it.

poor sausage
purrs from jessie and me, bookie

Old February 8th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Go Daddy

On Feb 8, 8:35 am, "sheelagh" wrote:

Any Purrs would be appreciated however, for Lilly who is feeling
rather poorly & in need of some soft ones to comfort her.
I am just waiting for staff changeover before going to visit her @ the
practice..(assuming that the nurse can reach it of course!!)
S.

You got mine, you're such a good mom.

Barry

Old February 8th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

Sheelagh, I am so sorry to hear this. I can't believe how emotionally
involved I get over cats I know only from the internet, but for some reason
I do. Please keep on updating us. Purrs for Lilly of course.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

oups.com...

Old February 8th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sheelagh

oh dear, sounds awful , I bet you are very worried, any chance you can
bring her something from home to comfort her and which will have
familiar smells on it? providing of course that it will not bring
infection with it.

I thought a bout that, so called the surgery & the practise nurse told
me that I could come anytime after 2pm...

I tried to visit her this afternoon & took "her" blanky with me,
cleanly laundered in her favourite fabric condition & well rubbed with
Biffy's glands next to his whiskers & next to his ears...But when I
got there after walking up there(no chance of driving because of the
snow)
, it was only to find that the next nurse on shift hadn't turned up
either(!!

I was ever so upset, but what could I do?
All I have as an update was my last call to the practise nurse @
lunchtime.

She told me that Lilly was slightly perkier today, still not right &
drooling terribly.. & still coughing. However, they had fed her & she
had open access to water as well which is better than yesterday...

I did ask if she had any idea whether it might be flu & asked her to
check that all of her shots were up to date, & she confirmed that they
were, so I have no idea what to think...?
Does anyone know if there are any new mutations, or even whether it is
possible at all?

I forgot to ask whether her her anal glands were any better, & now I
an mad with myself because there is no one to ask....I intended to ask
when I got there, but as I say, there was no one there to ask.
I have to admit to feeling rather cross that not only did they tell me
that it was fine to pop in this afternoon, but I am also worried that
we could be wasting potentially precious time that could have been
better spent doing an x-ray to see if she has something lodged in her
throat...I also feel guilty saying this about a vet who has treated me
more than well in the past too.

if I am really honest with myself, it is not the vet I am angry with-
it is the nurse who told me I could visit, then didn't come back after
lunch.
I cant help worrying if she is OK there all on her own.
When it comes to our cats, I get over emotional, especially when it's
Lilly because she is the babe of the feline family...

poor sausage

She is, she looked terrible yesterday;(
purrs from Jessie and me, bookie- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for all of the comforting purrs, I appreciate them, & she
needs them.
It is really wonderful to know that there are people out there who
are concerned about her even if they don't know her personally
Many thanks again & more news later after I talk to the vet @ 9pm gmt,
Purrs and leg weaves from Lilly and her slaves
S;o)

Old February 8th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Thu, 08 Feb 2007 20:25:46 GMT, "sheelagh"
wrote:

It is really wonderful to know that there are people out there who
are concerned about her even if they don't know her personally
Many thanks again & more news later after I talk to the vet @ 9pm gmt,
Purrs and leg weaves from Lilly and her slaves

Oh yes of course we are concerned! Please let us know when you hear
something. I'm so sorry Lilly is sick, especially when I know you wanted
to be immersing yourself in the kittens.

You're a wonderful cat slave, Sheelagh. They are all so lucky to have you.

--
Lynne
Old February 8th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 8 Feb, 20:25, "sheelagh" wrote:
[...]

i am concerned that there seems to be noone there with lilly, why is
there no vet nurse with her all theitme? is she at a surgery? there
should be a vet nurse there constantly monitoring her, why is noone
there? is there any more news?

when my jasper had to go in for 3 days to have his tubes unblocked
(urethra or whatever it is, he couldn't pee basically as they were
blockedup, the morning after his first night in when he coudl receive
visits I took his him favourite light blue fleecey blanket which he
always insisted on laying on when he slept on the end of my bed. just
a cheap thing from Ikea but it was his and had his and my smells onit
and reminded him of home.

I took it to him as I thought that if he had somethig to remind him
of home and me and suchlike he would be less stressed about being at
the vets overnight and therefore it might aid his recovery. The nurses
didn't mind and it was clean, and when he saw me and it he was purring
for England! I put it inthe corner of his enclosure all folded up and
soft and he curled up on it right away, purring of course, I found him
in much the same situation the next day when I came to take him home.
I think that if you can do anything to reduce the stress of a stay at
the vets for an animal, such as bring some familiar things from home
if that is permitted, then you should as it can only aid recovery as
it calms the cat somewhat.

please give us some news on lilly, i am worried that you say she is
left alone at the surgery now.
bookie

Old February 9th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 05:35:27 -0800, sheelagh wrote:

[...]

Purring for Lily's wellbeing. Purring also that she recovers swiftly.
TuTu & MLB

Old February 9th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lump

I'm sorry that Lilly is sick, and how upsetting this must be for you.

I will be purring for Lilly and wishing the best for you both.