INDOOR Cats & Shots

Old March 15th 15, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default INDOOR Cats & Shots

Branching off from the Lennie the poodle and the encounter with the big
dog thread: I agree with Judith, the dog needs to at least have it's
regular shots. The really big dog was encountered when on a walk.

What about cats? I'm in the US. Persia was an indoor cat. We have
lots of them (I won't engage in a debate about better or not, okay?)
For many years, yes, I took Persia for regular shots. She didn't get
*any* shots in the last several years of her life.

Some feline vaccines are required by law where I live (South Carolina,
US). Her vet never said a word when I stopping bringing Persia in for
"annual shots". She had no problem treating her. Checkups, x-rays,
blood work, urinalysis. Enough so I'd know what was going on with her.

Note: If Persia had needed to be *boarded* that would be a totally
different story. Naturally she'd have had to be current with her shots
because she'd have been around other cats. It would be a huge liability
to board unvaccinated cats.

The last time Persia was boarded was the radioactive isotope treatment
in 2010. After that, though, I saw no reason to put her through getting
annual shots. Trips to the vet upset her enough.

Also, Persia always felt a little punky after the shots. Even when she
was a young cat they made her feel bad. By the time she had the isotope
treatment for hyperthyroidism (she was allergic to the medication) she
was approximately 12.

So, after that I chose not to take her in for annual shots. I really
didn't want my sweet senior cat to feel yukky for 24 hours simply to
satisfy some regulation. That's my 2 cents on the issue of indoor only
cat vaccinations.

Jill
Old March 15th 15, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:

So, after that I chose not to take her in for annual shots. I really
didn't want my sweet senior cat to feel yukky for 24 hours simply to
satisfy some regulation. That's my 2 cents on the issue of indoor only
cat vaccinations.

Jill

Indoor or outdoor, the senior residence where I live REQUIRES annual
shots for ALL pets. (They are also required to be either indoors or on
a leash, although not everyone complies with that, even though it's in
their lease agreement.)
Old March 15th 15, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Years ago, I took my indoor cats for regular shots. They got out
occasionally, and it seemed the thing to do. Now I don't bother. It
seems so unnecessary for laid-back aging cats who never encounter
outside animals.

That being said, my understanding is that kittens definitely need shots
to start them off right - there are some highly contagious cat diseases
that they are very susceptible to and their inborn immunity doesn't last
long.

And of course, if you live in an area in which rabies is a risk - I
don't, although I once got conned into having a rabies vaccination done
anyway - it is absolutely essential to vaccinate pets against it.

--
Cheryl
Old March 15th 15, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mack A. Damia

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 15:57:09 -0230, Cheryl wrote:

Years ago, I took my indoor cats for regular shots. They got out
occasionally, and it seemed the thing to do. Now I don't bother. It
seems so unnecessary for laid-back aging cats who never encounter
outside animals.

That being said, my understanding is that kittens definitely need shots
to start them off right - there are some highly contagious cat diseases
that they are very susceptible to and their inborn immunity doesn't last
long.

And of course, if you live in an area in which rabies is a risk - I
don't, although I once got conned into having a rabies vaccination done
anyway - it is absolutely essential to vaccinate pets against it.

Yes, I think you are correct. As a cat ages, it builds up natural
immunity to diseases. Only the first shots as a kitten are important.

Our family has had cats for as long as I can remember, and fifty years
ago, it was only a matter of getting those initial shots. There was
never any talk about annual shots, etc. I think the issue has become
a veterinarian scare tactic to bring in more business.

Old March 16th 15, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 3/15/2015 2:27 PM, Cheryl wrote:
Years ago, I took my indoor cats for regular shots. They got out
occasionally, and it seemed the thing to do. Now I don't bother. It
seems so unnecessary for laid-back aging cats who never encounter
outside animals.

That's exactly the way I felt about Persia and shots when she got older.
Just taking her for the shots stressed her out. And the shots didn't
make her feel good. There was no chance by that point of her ever
encountering another cat. Why put her through it?

That being said, my understanding is that kittens definitely need shots
to start them off right - there are some highly contagious cat diseases
that they are very susceptible to and their inborn immunity doesn't last
long.

I was always diligent about her shots when she was younger. She *did*
run out the door once. She was gone for a day, maybe more. I thought
I'd lost her. But she had been innoculated so at least I knew she had
that protection.

As she aged (and she never tried to run off again, that one "adventure"
convinced her outside wasn't all that great) I didn't feel the shots
were necessary. Unless she had to be boarded.

And of course, if you live in an area in which rabies is a risk - I
don't, although I once got conned into having a rabies vaccination done
anyway - it is absolutely essential to vaccinate pets against it.

That's one of the mandated shots. But she was unlikely to ever
encounter a rabid animal.

Jill
Old March 16th 15, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl wrote:
Years ago, I took my indoor cats for regular shots. They got out
occasionally, and it seemed the thing to do. Now I don't bother. It
seems so unnecessary for laid-back aging cats who never encounter
outside animals.

That being said, my understanding is that kittens definitely need shots
to start them off right - there are some highly contagious cat diseases
that they are very susceptible to and their inborn immunity doesn't last
long.

And of course, if you live in an area in which rabies is a risk - I
don't, although I once got conned into having a rabies vaccination done
anyway - it is absolutely essential to vaccinate pets against it.

Also Feline Leukemia Virus! Unlike the human variety, it is contagious,
and I lost a couple of cats to it. (One because her mother did not have
the disease herself, but was apparently a carrier.)
Old March 16th 15, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think indoor cats need vaccinations. What sort of illness can they
get?

Boyfie get his shots every year. He also gets a vet check, heart, teeth etc
at the same time. He does not like it one little bit.

Old March 17th 15, 11:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_6_]

On 2015-03-16 7:42 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Kittens, especially as they're exposed to new places and new people and
animals as they are found a home, are susceptible to a couple of really
devastating contagious illnesses - it's been a long time since I had a
kitten, and I don't remember the name. Rabies, if you live in an areas
in which it is endemic, is so serious that all animals should be
vaccinated. Even an indoor cat might slip out and be exposed.
Old March 17th 15, 12:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 6:11:18 AM UTC-4, Cheryl wrote:

Kittens, especially as they're exposed to new places and new people and
animals as they are found a home, are susceptible to a couple of really
devastating contagious illnesses - it's been a long time since I had a
kitten, and I don't remember the name. Rabies, if you live in an areas
in which it is endemic, is so serious that all animals should be
vaccinated. Even an indoor cat might slip out and be exposed.

Her Royal Furriness, the Princess Rita is going today for her rabies booster shot. The vet agrees with me that that's the only shot she requires, because it's the law. She never goes outside, never even tries to go outside, so there is no other shot required.
It's a new vet, so she's getting a checkup too, but I have no worries there.. Surprisingly, even her teeth look pretty clean to me (as a non-vet person). She will get stressed out and shed like crazy, but then she'll be done for another couple of years.
Rita loves people, but she prefers that they come to her, not her going to them.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

Old March 17th 15, 01:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 2015-03-16 7:42 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

(snipped self)
[...]

I don't know a thing about kittens. I do know all the cats and kittens
at the local shelter have their shots. At an appropriate age they are
also spayed or neutered and when you adopt one they are microchipped.

Jill