Signs (OT)

Old September 6th 03, 03:25 PM
David Yehudah

Default Signs (OT)

Saw a news article yesterday where in Finland the polar bears have
gotten so bad that the government put up signs warning people. Then
everyone complained because on the signs the bears are black on a white
background. "Sillies," they said, "everyone knows polar bears are
white." So now the signs show white bears--on a black background.
Finnish snow is black? Must have a lot of soot in the air!

Old September 6th 03, 03:33 PM
CK

David Yehudah wrote:
Saw a news article yesterday where in Finland the polar bears have
gotten so bad that the government put up signs warning people. Then
everyone complained because on the signs the bears are black on a white
background. "Sillies," they said, "everyone knows polar bears are
white." So now the signs show white bears--on a black background.
Finnish snow is black? Must have a lot of soot in the air!

Silly David!! There are no polar bears in Finland.

Christine in Vantaa, Finland (Europe)
Email: christal63(at)yahoo(dot)com
Photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/christal63

Old September 6th 03, 08:13 PM
CK

None of them in Norway either as far as I know. You've got polar bears
closer than we do. They can be found in the northern parts Alaska,
Yukon, NWT, Nunavut, and further north from there.

David Yehudah wrote:
Oops. That was Norway. Sorry 'bout that. :-)

Old September 6th 03, 08:33 PM
David Stevenson

CK wrote:
Silly David!! There are no polar bears in Finland.

I never thought of you as a Merkin, David!

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old September 8th 03, 02:35 AM
David Yehudah

Thanks, Lisa. Here's the URL:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...ws/6699397.htm

Lisa Katt wrote:
David Yehudah skrev i meddelandet ...

Saw a news article yesterday where in Finland the polar bears have
gotten so bad that the government put up signs warning people. Then
everyone complained because on the signs the bears are black on a white
background. "Sillies," they said, "everyone knows polar bears are
white." So now the signs show white bears--on a black background.
Finnish snow is black? Must have a lot of soot in the air!

According to my newspaper this happened in Svalbard, a group of small
islands quite a bit north of Norway in the polar region. It is a territory
of Norway.
The polar bears are wellknown for being bad-tempered and lethal. Several
people have been killed.
Elisabet

Old September 8th 03, 07:17 AM
Yowie

"Lisa Katt" wrote in message
news

David Yehudah skrev i meddelandet ...
Saw a news article yesterday where in Finland the polar bears have
gotten so bad that the government put up signs warning people. Then
everyone complained because on the signs the bears are black on a white
background. "Sillies," they said, "everyone knows polar bears are
white." So now the signs show white bears--on a black background.
Finnish snow is black? Must have a lot of soot in the air!

According to my newspaper this happened in Svalbard, a group of small
islands quite a bit north of Norway in the polar region. It is a territory
of Norway.
The polar bears are wellknown for being bad-tempered and lethal. Several
people have been killed.

Seems to me that anybody that is stupid enough to go messing about with
Polar bears is in fact doing the human gene pool a rather large favour.

I love bears, polar bears especially, and I'd *love* to be able to scritch
one behind the ears, but I am quite aware that its just a silly fantasy and
not something that would be advisable in Real Life (add it to the long list
of animal fantasies that include having a herd of pet elephants and being
able to play with dolphins. Joel knows better now so that when I say "can I
have an elephant?" he says "yes of course" and even manages to hide rolling
his eyes most of the time). Heck, scritching Shmogg behind the ears when
he's in a bad mood is quite painful enough, I'm not prepared to find out
what a tonne of bad tempered bear might consider doing to me. Here's hoping
they are more friendly and like ear scritches at RB :-)

Yowie

Old September 8th 03, 04:32 PM
CK

Yowie wrote:
I love bears, polar bears especially, and I'd *love* to be able to scritch
one behind the ears, but I am quite aware that its just a silly fantasy and
not something that would be advisable in Real Life (add it to the long list
of animal fantasies that include having a herd of pet elephants and being
able to play with dolphins.

snip

A bit like some of my animal fantasies... such as: I've got a pic of a
fully maned male lion as my computer wallpaper. And I've often looked at
that pic and wanted to scritch him on his forehead, just where his mane
starts, where he's got his forehead in some pondering wrinkles. It looks
so soft. But I can imagine his paws, the size of casserole lids, with
claws extended, swatting me like a fly... Nope, it's just a fantasy...
....heeere, kitty kitty kitty...