B*stard Cat Trick, Revisited

Old September 1st 09, 11:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

Default B*stard Cat Trick, Revisited

Well, she did it again....
The good news is, maintenance is *finally* working on the sewer-that-
is-our-laundry-room downstairs, but they found a leak from the
condensor in my apartment (which is directly above the laundry room).
So they opened the utility closet. Remember the utility closet? With
the cat-sized hole that leads to all sorts of wonderful places to
explore and play? That's the bad news.
Yeah. I got home from work. My apartment is open, and the Princess
Rita is MISSING. I was furious. I yelled at the maintenance guys,
who tried to help me look for her, but she wasn't ready to be found.
I turned off the A/C (thinking that the noise may be making her too
afraid to come back up), and just waited. Calling, worrying, sweating
buckets (from fear. It was a cool night). She wasn't making any
noise, so I was terrified that she'd gotten hurt down there.
After 2 hours, I had to leave for a meeting, so I left the closet door
open, and left. When I got back, she was wandering around as if
nothing had happened. Durn cat. She was looking for pettins while I
called all of my friends to let them know she was back again, and I
got a pile of plastic grocery bags and stuffed the hole so she would
never do that again.

Then I noticed that the fur on the left side of her head and shoulders
was all stiff and icky. Something she picked up under the floor, no
doubt. So I picked her up, no problem. Carried her into the bathroom
(and closed the door), no problem. Put her down on the sink, no
problem. Then I turned on the water.

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

The claws came out, and she HOWLED. Too bad. I'm afraid that I found
myself actually giggling as I held her paws and washed the side of her
face and shoulders with a wet washcloth. I think she grew a few
hundred extra claws, though. She fought and struggled, but I was
stronger and more determined. She's clean now, and has forgiven me.
She slept with me all night long, cuddling up with her nice clean soft
fur.

It's morning, and everything appears to be okay now. I'm still
dealing with the aftermath, though. That kind of stress always hits me
in the gastrointestinal system. Bleah. Why on earth did I come to
work? Oh yeah, it's that rent thing. Gotta pay the rent.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

Old September 1st 09, 11:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Jane wrote:

It's morning, and everything appears to be okay now. I'm still
dealing with the aftermath, though. That kind of stress always hits me
in the gastrointestinal system. Bleah. Why on earth did I come to
work? Oh yeah, it's that rent thing. Gotta pay the rent.

And toonas. Don't forget the toonas for the cat.

I have a hole in the wall of the cabinet under the sink. I don't know
where it goes, but the cats are fascinated with it. Sometimes, I'm too
slow, and Caliban slinks inside and takes a nap in there. Mir doesn't
stay long, but every now and then she must check it out. I don't think
it goes very far into the interior of the building, but it's always a
worry when one of them manages to slip by me. I put a baby lock on the
door of the cabinet so they can't open it themselves any more. I should
try to stop up the hole, but I don't know why it's there, so I don't
know if air needs to flow through or not, for example.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old September 1st 09, 12:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_6_]

Marina wrote in news:7g4cu6F2mf1b5U1
@mid.individual.net:

Jane wrote:

[...]

Maybe you could staple some screening over it, or stuff chicken wire in it.
That way if it needs air it will get it, and the cats can't go in.

Bobble
Old September 1st 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Jane wrote:
[...]

Suggestion: Perhaps you could find a single piece of floor covering
and tape it over the hole.
I feel your distress. Best wishes MLB
Old September 1st 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Marina wrote:
Jane wrote:

[...]

It was probably put there by some workman who failed to patch it. I
have one in my hot water heater closet where an electrician had to get
access to a wire from the other room. I also have one in my bathroom
where the clothes washer drain goes into the wall. I have been unable
to find someone to cover the holes. IMHO today's workmen seem to be
better at completing the job in a neat fashion. M LB
Old September 1st 09, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
LadyJane

On Sep 1, 12:09*pm, MLB wrote:

Suggestion: * *Perhaps you could find a single piece of floor covering
and *tape it over the hole.
I feel your distress. *Best wishes * *MLB

Thanks. What I did was take a large bundle of plastic grocery bags and
squish them down and stuff it in the hole, tamping it down with my
foot. Previously, I thought it was safe because the door was latched
shut, but I didn't count on stupid maintenance men and Rita's
resourcefullness.
She's not getting in there again.

Old September 1st 09, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jane wrote:

Rita is MISSING. I was furious. I yelled at the maintenance guys,
who tried to help me look for her, but she wasn't ready to be found.
...[snip]...
When I got back, she was wandering around as if
nothing had happened. Durn cat. She was looking for pettins while I
called all of my friends to let them know she was back again, and I
got a pile of plastic grocery bags and stuffed the hole so she would
never do that again.

Hmm. She seems like a very resourceful kitty, and just might figure
out that she can pull the bags out one by one with those lovely little
claws. So for insurance, I would put a sign up on the closet door
informing the maintenance people that if they open the door, they
should not allow the cat to get in there, and to make sure not to
leave it open. Yeah, you'd have to look at that sign all the time,
but that's better than the Princess disappearing down the rabbit hole.

Glad she finally came back, though! Sorry you're still paying the
stress hormone tax.

Joyce

--
The average, healthy, well-adjusted adult gets up at seven-thirty in
the morning feeling just terrible. -- Jean Kerr
Old September 1st 09, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Jane" wrote in message
[...]

And buy cat food. (referring to your last sentence)

Joy

Old September 2nd 09, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

"Jane" wrote in message
[...]

I'm so glad she showed up but norty girl for making you worry! That was one
of the things that made me furious about renting, when maintenance showed up
and had no regard for pets. Though owning doesn't guarentee you that
someone doing work won't let out one of your cats. Happened here and it
scared the sh!t out of me when I figured it out and saw Shamrock running
toward the road in his fear of the OUT.