When I was at the vets

Old August 22nd 13, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default When I was at the vets

I saw this plastic container with small tags in on the receptionist's desk.
The tags say "I am microchipped, if you find me phone this number xxxx"

It goes on their collar.
I checked if it would cover Boyfie's microchip and it does so I got one.
It's still in my pocket.

I have to take his reflective collar off to attach it and since I snatched
him off his bed, the boy says no way are you to be trusted to do collar
stuff (it's sure to be the vet again) so I guess I'll have to wait.

He's not likely to get lost or wander now, this label is just for, you know,
the unmentionable.

It's a really good idea.

You can see my vets he
http://www.chinehousevets.co.uk/

Yes, they aren't cheap but 365/12, 24/7 cover isn't with their fantastic
facilities.

There is closer vet to my home, he is way cheaper but not only is he is
rudest vet I ever saw (once) he doesn't offer an out of hours service that
is acceptable to me.

I want to be able to telephone anytime, day or night in an emergency, and I
have done several times with my dogs. Tigger got his jaw wired on a Sunday.
Pearl whippet collapsed on a Bank Holiday with a bleeding spleen from an
unsuspected tumour and was scanned and operated on that day.

Tweed

Old August 25th 13, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I saw this plastic container with small tags in on the receptionist's
desk. The tags say "I am microchipped, if you find me phone this number
xxxx"

It goes on their collar.
I checked if it would cover Boyfie's microchip and it does so I got one.
It's still in my pocket.

I have to take his reflective collar off to attach it and since I snatched
him off his bed, the boy says no way are you to be trusted to do collar
stuff (it's sure to be the vet again) so I guess I'll have to wait.

He's not likely to get lost or wander now, this label is just for, you
know, the unmentionable.

It's a really good idea.

The difficulty is that even putting a new collar on Boyfriend is a major
event for him. Yes, he loves my lap and is on it often but the minute I
start to mess around with his neck fur (quite innocently!) he knows there is
a spot-on treatment coming. Quite why he hates it I don't know, probably the
smell of it
Although he loves me very much, he is still a timid boy, and taking his
collar off to get his microchip tag on it (just in case he gets killed
somehow, he certainly won't approach anyone else and he knows where he
lives...)
will not be to his liking.
He does not like "to be messed with" and taking his reflective collar off
and putting it on again with a new tag will require some thought. I could
of course grab him and do it, but that's not how I work. I did that last
week, grabbing him out of his bedroom to go to TED :-(
I always feel bad about that, as his bedroom is sacrosant, it's his safe
place.

Tweed

Old August 26th 13, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

I saw this plastic container with small tags in on the receptionist's desk.
The tags say "I am microchipped, if you find me phone this number xxxx"

It goes on their collar.
I checked if it would cover Boyfie's microchip and it does so I got one.
It's still in my pocket.

I have to take his reflective collar off to attach it and since I snatched
him off his bed, the boy says no way are you to be trusted to do collar
stuff (it's sure to be the vet again) so I guess I'll have to wait.

He's not likely to get lost or wander now, this label is just for, you know,
the unmentionable.

It's a really good idea.

Despite the fact that Persia is an indoor-only cat, she wears a
breakaway collar and has a tag with her name, my phone number and the
notation: microchipped.

Yes, they aren't cheap but 365/12, 24/7 cover isn't with their fantastic
facilities.

Persia's vet isn't open 365/12 (it's a small practice). But yes, she
has an emergency number and she (or her partner in the practice) are
available 24/7. And they make house calls. Not cheap, but given how
upset Persia gets making that trip (she vomits in her carrier) I'll
gladly pay extra for the house call.

Other vets in my area, if you call after hours with an emergency you get
a recording referring you to a clinic in Savannah, Georgia! That's over
60 miles away! Oh right, I'm supposed to drive to another state to some
animal hospital I've never seen and have her treated by someone I've
never met. Don't think so!

*This "idyllic" (ha!) place where I live (Dataw) tried to charge the vet
$10 to make a house call. Unless your vehicle has a transponder - yes,
my car is "chipped" - you can't get past the security gate without a
special pass. Christina, you could show up and say you're a friend of
mine come for a visit. Unless I've requested a temporary pass for you,
you aren't getting on the island.

If you are a contractor or service provider who hasn't paid for a
transponder for your vehicle, they charge $10 at the gate before they
let you in! (They're very good at charging for every little thing
around here.)

Knowing how these people operate, I called security in advance, telling
them Persia's vet was making a house call. I specifically asked about
the $10 access charge and was assured, "Oh no! we won't charge for that,
it's like a doctor making a house call." (That's *exactly* what it is.)
Knowing the Dataw folks like I do, I asked the vet when she was here,
did they charge you to get in? Yes. Oh boy, did I get angry! I picked
up the phone and demanded they give her the $10 back. (They did.)

Jill
Old August 29th 13, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

It's a really good idea, we all remember what happened to KFC. I didn't
think it was necessary to microchip her since she hardly stirred from the
fire for years but she went out looking for me when I was admitted to
hospital.
She was extremely elderly by that time and a bit confused about where she
lived.
She soon got picked up and put down.
I advise everyone to have their cats microchipped whether they are indoor or
not, they could get out.
Tweed

Old August 29th 13, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I've had my cats chipped ever since I learned one could do such a thing.
Before chipping, one of my cats disappeared, and I never found out what had
happened to him. My current two are indoor only. They were three years old
when I got them, and had never been outside. The first thing I did after I
got them was to have them chipped.

Joy