Kitty Thanksgiving?

Old November 23rd 10, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Default Kitty Thanksgiving?

Anything special planned for your kitties?

Part of the fun of a fancy meal (for us, any meal that contains any
meat or fish is a "fancy" one) is tossing tidbits to the cats. It's
also an opportunity to teach them not to beg obnoxiously. Only a few
still try to jump onto the table. They can take a long time to train.
The ones who are most fond of whatever treat is being offered will
come up and take it from a hand.

From one year to the next I can't remember which of the cats are big
fans of turkey. We don't usually have it more than once a year. It is
a real treat for the hoomins as well as the cats.

Old November 23rd 10, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:
For those of you who are celebrating Thanksgiving this week, whether
you're in the U.S. or are expats or who have friends who want a
"traditional" Usian Thanksgiving... what about your cats?

Persia doesn't get people food. She never has (except what she managed
to steal off my plate when she was much younger and I left my plate
untended on the coffee table for about 10 seconds!) But I've got Fancy
Feast 'Turkey & Giblets' for her on November 25th

Anything special planned for your kitties?

Jill

I used to - bought the really expensive, single-serving containers of
supposedly "gourmet" moist food. After a few holidays when the cats
turned up their little noses at the supposed "treat" and refused to eat
it, I gave up, and feed them whatever is next in line in the stack of
canned food. (It's particularly insulting, when you've gone out of your
way to please them, when they not only refuse to eat it, but make
burying motions around the dish!)
Old November 23rd 10, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
In article , "jmcquown" wrote:

Anything special planned for your kitties?

I'm quite hostile toward religious holidays, so neither my cats nor I will do
anything out of the ordinary for the day. They shall be as pampered as ever.

Art

"Religious holidays"??????? We're talking a national, not a religious
holiday! So far as I know, giving thanks for a bountiful harvest has
its place in ALL religions (including Native American, since according
to all reports the Pilgrims celebrated along with their Indian neighbors)!
Old November 23rd 10, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Arthur Shapiro wrote:

"Religious holidays"???????

Really folks - if the Pilgrims had called it "Sound Agricultural Practices
Day", I'd be overjoyed. Doesn't the first syllable "Thanks", by definition,
make it a religious holiday??

I understand your point, but I don't think it's necessarily true. It's
possible to feel thankful without there being any specific entity to be
thankful *to*. If you narrowly miss getting hit by a bus, you'd probably
feel thankful, but that doesn't automatically imply you believe in God.

Actually, I find "appreciation" to work better for me than "thankfulness".
There is just something so obsequious about "gratitude" that it kinda makes
me want to barf. At the same time, I can see the benefits of staying aware
of what's good in my life and taking the time to notice and acknowledge it,
especially considering what a grump I am most of the time. It's valuable
to feel glad about what I have, without an attitude of smugness, entitlement,
or the belief that I did it all myself. I suppose that's not really much
different from "gratitude", I just like the language better. ("Gratitude"
just gives me this image of a pathetic person getting kicked in the teeth,
smiling and bowing and saying, "Oh thank you, thank you kind master, for
not killing me." LOL.)

Enjoy your day off.

Joyce

--
Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he
grows up, he'll never be able to merge his car onto a freeway.
Old November 24th 10, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , "jmcquown" wrote:
I usally roast a cornish game hen.

Don't think I've ever had one of those. This may be an almost-impossible
question to answer, and I hate ending a sentence with a preposition, BUT: what
are they like?

Art
Old November 24th 10, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 11:15:49 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

For those of you who are celebrating Thanksgiving this week, whether you're
in the U.S. or are expats or who have friends who want a "traditional" Usian
Thanksgiving... what about your cats?

Persia doesn't get people food. She never has (except what she managed to
steal off my plate when she was much younger and I left my plate untended on
the coffee table for about 10 seconds!) But I've got Fancy Feast 'Turkey &
Giblets' for her on November 25th

Anything special planned for your kitties?

Jill

I was planning on giving Lorelei as much Fancy Feast as she can eat!

She favors fish based flavors; but perhaps I will buy some turkey, and
see if she likes it

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

-TC, in loving memory of the unmercifully, relentlessly, sweet calico
kitty, Kenzie.

Every day was a treasure with Kenzie; I tried to treat them that way.
There would only be so many, and now, there will never, ever, be any
more

- Robert Heinlein
Old November 24th 10, 04:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shiral[_2_]

On Nov 23, 8:15*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
For those of you who are celebrating Thanksgiving this week, whether you're
in the U.S. or are expats or who have friends who want a "traditional" Usian
Thanksgiving... what about your cats?

Persia doesn't get people food. *She never has (except what she managed to
steal off my plate when she was much younger and I left my plate untended on
the coffee table for about 10 seconds!) *But I've got Fancy Feast 'Turkey &
Giblets' for her on November 25th

Anything special planned for your kitties?

Jill

Oh, if they're lucky, I'll bring my kids some fresh turkey for a
treat. =o) Dmitri has never had it, but figures anything that Mom
eats has to taste pretty good! Francesca is hardly disinterested
herself....

Melissa