I sewed 21 cat beds on Saturday!

Old August 14th 13, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default I sewed 21 cat beds on Saturday!

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 20:05:30 +0100, Judith Latham
wrote:

As far as sewing is concerned, I'm the disgrace of the family. My great
Aunt was a tailoress, my mom was brilliant and my sister designed and made
her own wedding dress, bridesmaids dresses and even the shirt for the page
boy. Then there's me. I have tried.

I only did sewing for 2 years at primary school. I made a picture and a
skirt. At secondary school I took German instead.

Once when DH said a button had come off his shirt, I thought right,
measured halfway between the two buttons at each end of the gap and sewed
on the button. Only to find that there were 2 buttons missing and so the
one I'd sewn on was in between the button holes. It stayed like that.

Sewing is definitely a blood sport, mine. I have tried, I made the
sitting-room curtains for our first house. They did stay up and they did
fit but they hung a bit weird. I made a dress which I did wear but the
seam came undone under the arm.

However, I can draw and paint, my one great nephew has this talent and he
is told he takes after me. I'm quite musical and used to play the piano,
(haven't for years but I've now got a keyboard and have started playing
again.) My other great nephew plays several instruments and he's told he
takes after me too. I also cook quite well so I'm waiting for one of the
great nieces to start cooking and I can get the credit for that too.
Who needs to sew?

Judith

When I bought my house there was a little room in the basement that
was used as a sewing room. It came with an old Singer machine set into
a small table contraption and the machine somehow came up onto the
surface when needed. I remember the machine was really beautiful,
black enamel with various color threads (not sewing threads) on the
surface. I moved it into the garage and it's still sitting there. I
think I'd better take another look at it and maybe put it on EBay or
something. But how could I ever ship something like that?
Old August 14th 13, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/14/2013 8:57 AM, dgk wrote:

When I bought my house there was a little room in the basement that
was used as a sewing room. It came with an old Singer machine set into
a small table contraption and the machine somehow came up onto the
surface when needed. I remember the machine was really beautiful,
black enamel with various color threads (not sewing threads) on the
surface. I moved it into the garage and it's still sitting there. I
think I'd better take another look at it and maybe put it on EBay or
something. But how could I ever ship something like that?

It's been years since I used eBay for anything, but could you specify
local buyers? Shipping (and crating!) would be expensive no matter who
paid for it.

My grandmother had an old Singer machine like that. They're from the
days before many homes had electricity, run by a treadle (foot pumped).
If the machine and the cabinet are in good condition it could fetch a
pretty price.

Jill
Old August 15th 13, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 8/14/2013 8:57 AM, dgk wrote:

When I bought my house there was a little room in the basement that
was used as a sewing room. It came with an old Singer machine set into
a small table contraption and the machine somehow came up onto the
surface when needed. I remember the machine was really beautiful,
black enamel with various color threads (not sewing threads) on the
surface. I moved it into the garage and it's still sitting there. I
think I'd better take another look at it and maybe put it on EBay or
something. But how could I ever ship something like that?

You could always try a local Craigs list posting and specify pickup.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old August 28th 13, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"dgk" wrote in message ...

Lots of info, thanks. I was away for a week so didn't respond quickly.
I will take another look at that machine and see if I can find it a
new home. I'll post again when I manage to get the bikes out of the
way so I can pull the thing out and give it another look. But whether
it ships with the cabinet or just by itself is also a question.

~~~~~~~~
If you post a "for sale" ad in a local paper with a "must be picked up"
notation, you might be able to sell it to someone who would come to your
home to get it. That would solve the problem of shipping. Of course, this
would only be feasible if you feel safe having someone come to your home
based on a newspaper ad.

MaryL

Adorable cat beds! [email protected] Cat anecdotes 7 July 8th 11 10:10 PM
And people buy cat beds? Lesley Cat anecdotes 9 October 5th 09 12:11 AM
New beds: Santa came early Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 9 December 29th 06 12:38 PM
Cute cat beds Katz Cat anecdotes 3 June 18th 05 06:16 AM
Cat "beds" ---MIKE--- Cat health & behaviour 12 October 31st 03 12:13 PM