Frank's not feeling well

Old August 15th 05, 06:45 AM
Melissa Houle

I haven't got the antibiotics yet, because the few pharmacies that are
open on Sunday are downtown, and the traffic has been impossible
yesterday and today because of the Marathons being run through the city
centre. So I won't be able to get the ABs until Monday.

--
Marina, Frank, Miranda and Caliban. In loving memory of Nikki.
marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi

At least you're dealing with a known problem now, although having to
medicate three cats for ten days sounds like a drag. I hope Frank, Mir and
Caliban will all be on the mend VERY soon!

Melissa

Old August 15th 05, 09:26 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:17:43 +0300, Marina
wrote:

Today Frank's breathing sounded laboured, and to top it all off miranda
seemed like she had something stuck in her throat. So I hauled them both
off to the emergency vet. I had to wait several hours while they were
checking them, but the time went quickly enough when a woman came in
with a Norweigan Forest cat and we swapped kitty stories. It was the
first time I've seen a NFC in 'person'. What an impressive cat! Very
nice and friendly, to, though she had a UTI. The woman had her on a
leash, no carrier, and she'd taken the metro to the vet school, and had
no fuss with the cat.

Anyway, finally they called me in to talk about Frank and Mir. It seems
they have some sort of infection. Miranda's tonsils are swollen, which
is why she acts like there's something in her throat. The bloodwork
indicated that Frank has an infection, too. So the vet assumed that they
both have the same thing, and now I get to give all three cats
antibiotics twice a day for ten days. Yippee!

It seems obvious to me that Caliban is the one who infected the others.
I really hope the AB works, and that it doesn't turn into something nasty.

Guess the only good news is that you've got a diagnosis. Purrs that it
will respond qucikly to the antiboiotics, and that everyone will be
well soon - and good luck with medicating all three.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Spot

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old August 15th 05, 10:09 PM
Julie Cook

Purrs on the way that Frank is feeling much better very soon. Diarrhea
is scarey when it happens to your feline buddy and I'm sure especially
so for you since losing Nikki. It sounds like it is going to be
something that you can treat, however, and get everyone well again soon.
My five send gentle headbutts and purrs to Frank, Miranda and Caliban
that they are all feeling better soon and special headbutts to you,
Marina, for taking such good care of them.

Julie, Hobbes, Selena, Lacey, Sam and Barnabus

Old August 16th 05, 08:37 PM
Inge Grotjahn

Hi Howard,

Am 15.08.2005 schrieb Howard C. Berkowitz:

In article , Inge Grotjahn
wrote:

you should ask TED to make an antibiogramm (sorry, I don't know the
english word for it). A blood sample is taken to determin, which
antibiotic is still working on this special cat. Then the proper
antibiotic is chosen to treat hin. This procedure makes sure, that the
prescripted med. is working as it should.

I'm not absolutely sure which test you have in mind. Normally, we do a
culture to identify bacteria, and, as a second step, determine
antibiotic sensitivity. While there are newer methods, the disk
inhibition test is easier to visualize.

This is what I meant. But I didn't tell Marina, to identify the bacterium,
which is involved with Frank, Miri and Caliban. I thought, it was common,
to make a culture of it.

I only told her, that Frank should be tested on his 'compatibility' to the
prescribed antibiotic. I think, this is what you call antibiotic
sensitivity.

I learned this from our tomcat Tientje, who is suffering from eosinophile
granuloma (he has it way back on his tongue and at his paws, which causes
open wounds, which get infected when he goes outside...) and had tons of
antibiotics in his life.

Then we found out, that some of the antibiotics didn't do the work anymore
when they were applied to him. So we had Tientjes blood checked and at the
end we got a list of antibiotics, which are working fine with him (still).

As long as the measured blood concentration is greater than the MIC, the
antibiotic should be effective. MIC and blood concentration techniques
are rarely used even in human medicine, outside research environments.
They are most commonly used when the period of antibiotic treatment is
expected to be long, and also when the antibiotic is especially toxic.

I didn' know this. Thank you for explaining. May I use your posting on my
website? I would like to tell people, that they should be careful with
antibiotics because once there is a resistance, the antibiotic isn't
working anymore. I know, that a resistance is coming from either to short
period of applying or from a to long period of applying. Both can be fatal
in an emergency situation.

When it comes to antibiotics many TEDs and human doctors apply a broadband
antibiotic and they think, that this will do. I'm thinking different. I
prefer the _right_ antibiotic for treatment.

Purrs to you and thanks again for your very informative posting:-)
Inge and the catgang
--
The catslaves homepage: http://www.catslaves.org
CatManiacs World: http://www.gwsystems.com/inge