D*g Calls 911

Old October 30th 04, 12:07 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , Jeanne Hedge
wrote:

I wish there were kitty service animals who could do things like
this... Are there? Or are felines too independent to make good
service animals? (though the Power of Purr is a pretty good service in
and of itself)

My "virtual daughter's" senior cat has, on more than one occasion, just
about dragged her to her son's door when the child was having a seizure
behind a closed door.

Clifford(RB) guarded me from a well-meaning housekeeper doing everything
wrong after I skidded on a wet floor and broke my ankle. He was far
more impressive than when he confronted the neighborhood tomcat who
raised one eyebrow and said "yes, eunuch?"

Old October 30th 04, 01:03 AM
Jeanne Hedge

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:42:48 -0500, Steve Touchstone
wrote:

I don't know if the OP listed a link to the story, so this could be a
different dog and dispatcher compbo. The story I heard here on the
local news said that the owner had previously notified emergency
services about having a service dog trained to dial 911.

There story on CNN.com says the dog was trained to take the phone of
the hook and push the speed dial button for 911 with her nose, but
there's no mention of the owner having previously notified emergency
services that the dog was trained to do this. OTOH, the owner trained
the dog to do this, with help from people from the Assistance Dog Club
of Puget Sound. It seems reasonable to me that someone somewhere along
the line told the authorities. Kind of like how you can let the fire
department know if you have small children or invalids in your home,
just in case.

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com

Old October 30th 04, 01:08 AM
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Jeanne Hedge wrote:
I wish there were kitty service animals who could do things like
this... Are there? Or are felines too independent to make good
service animals?

Yes, because they are selfish. They are interested mostly in their own
comfort.
Dogs are different. They can be trained to do almost anything just for a
word of praise.
I am always amazed when I see a guide dog working when it takes it's owner
aside from something that might bump their head. It's nowhere near a threat
to the dog. They have learnt how high their owners are, and must protect
them from injury. Some years ago, going to meet my visually impaired friend
there was a lorry as she approached me. The dog knew me and she began to
wag her tail when she saw me, and not concentrate. However, she suddenly
noticed that the lorry had an open sort of top stable door, which could have
caused my friend to bang her head on it.
So, she stopped, and she sat down. This made it impossible for my friend to
move and get injured.
This was Jess, a labrador and one of the whitest ones I've ever seen.
She is long gone to RB, but..her life was spent in service to her hoomin,
and she actually enjoyed having a job to do.

Tweed