Decorating the Tree With Mommy

Old December 2nd 04, 05:03 PM
CatNipped

"FibbersCloset" wrote in message
This reminds me of a posting I did several years ago.

Cast of Characters:

DD - age 4 at the time
DC3 - three calicos aged 3 at the time
Mom - age not available...

We went to the basement to find the decorations for the tree. DD wanted
to take everything up. Mom wanted to haul up the bare minimum (lights,
angel, and the can of unbreakable Christmas ornaments). DD left Mom to
hunt and went to other end of basement to play on DH's drum set.

Hauled stuff upstairs. Discovered that angel was not in can marked
"angel and lights." Returned to basement. Looked through every box
marked Christmas. Twice. Discovered a bunch of Christmas stuff in an
unmarked box. Note to self: mark boxes better when we put things away
in January. In the meantime, got totally distracted with all of the
other "stuff" in basement. Went back upstairs with angel. D*** cats
(three of them -- hereafter referred to as DC3) escaped into basement.
Returned to basement to retrieve them.

Back to tree. While Mom untangled lights, DD opened box of ornaments
and unwrapped every one, dumping them all in a pile on the floor. Mom
did angel and wrapped lights. DC3 chased ends of light strands. Mom
and DD wrapped pearls and ribbons. DC3 chased ends. DD became irate
with DC3.

The style of decorating is not a classic one. The pearls and ribbons
are a minimum fuss with maximum effect plan to make DD happy and
decorate fast. All ornaments are unbreakable. Not because of DD (who
understands fragile and breakable) but for DC3. We bought a heavier,
sturdier stand this year in hopes that no tree disasters would occur.
We can also resort to tying it up with fishing line. Mom's mantra
during whole process ("We are not trying to be Martha Stewart. We are
trying to have a tree DD will be happy with.")

Mom decided Christmas music would add to atmosphere. Discovered all
Christmas CDs are in DH's truck. Decided to play radio instead, didn't
turn down volume and caused DD to literally fall to floor from blast of
music.

DD tired of process and started talking about snack. Mom finished
decorating with half the ornaments -- the rest went back into the box.

Mom turned out room lights and sat with DD on her lap to admire tree
(this is the best part).

Dena

LOL! Cute story Dena. Christmas with kitties is always fun!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 2nd 04, 05:05 PM
CatNipped

"Elise" wrote in message
om...

Another wonderfully well told story. You'd never know from the pictures
of the tree in the sitting room that it had been through so much trauma
--
Elise (supervised by Gossamer & Jeeves)
dragonandthistle at snet dot net

Thank you, Elise

Oh, over the next few days I continued to "make repairs" - I'm *way* too
obsessive-compulsive to have just left it as it was! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 2nd 04, 05:05 PM
CatNipped

"Marina" wrote in message

LOL! It was worht the wait!

Thank you, Marina! It took me a few days to get over the trauma before I
could laugh about it.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 2nd 04, 05:07 PM
CatNipped

"polonca12000" wrote in message
You could never tell by looking at the wonderfully decorated tree!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Well, as I told someone else here, I'm *way* too obsessive-compulsive to
have left the tree in anything less than a perfect state (although it is a
losing battle - Jessie is clever enough to lure Sammy over to the tree to
get Sammy in trouble when she's caught playing with it while Jessie sits
back away from the action grinning evilly!!).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 2nd 04, 05:10 PM
CatNipped

"CATherine" wrote in message

This story is great, as usual. It is a good thing you are home so much
with a cat like that. But I wonder if she will ever mellow out with
maturity. She has such a joy in life. And wanting to share every
aspect of yours. You are truly blest.

--
CATherine

Thank you, CATherine. I'm only home when I'm not at work - I work 12 hour
days - so Sammy has *LOTS* of time to get into trouble. In a way I hope she
*never* mellows out because she is *SO* comical in her mischieviousness.
However, I think she'll have the typical disposition of a Maine Coon and be
a very laid back adult cat.

She does have a joy in life that is heartbreakingly touching to me. *That*
I hope she never outgrows. And, yes, I am truly blest with her and my other
furbabies.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 2nd 04, 05:11 PM
CatNipped

"Krista" wrote in message
oups.com...
ROFL! This is exactly why I'm still thinking hard about *not* having a
tree this year!
------
Krista

Yep, the Hube will have a field day, and he's just as big if not bigger than
Sammy, so the poor tree won't stand a chance!!! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 2nd 04, 05:12 PM
CatNipped

Ooops, I'm SO sorry, I got you mixed up with Hubert's Meowmy when I replied
to your post - please excuse my brain fart!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 2nd 04, 05:49 PM
Tanada

CatNipped wrote:

Oh Caroline, what fun you are going to have! Baby Catherine is at the
perfect age for Christmas - old enough to know something wonderful is
happening and young enough to be awed and amazed by all the decorations and
festivities.

However, it's *much* easier to protect the tree from babies than from cats.
When my two were that little I just set the tree up *inside* their old
playpen (I would decorate the playpen with garland so it didn't look *too*
goofy). Cats, naturally, would scoff at this inadequate barrier, but it is
quite effective for keeping little hands from pulling down the tree.

Ditto 'Nipped's observations about the wonder of the season for little
ones. I was talking with my son, Michael, the other day and he told me
why Christmas is his favorite season. "When I was little, it was the
presents," he said. "Now it's the music, the wonder on little kids'
faces, the way people seem to feel about each other, and knowing that I
can make someone else happy." I'm really getting so that I like my son.

I put the tree into Amanda's playpen on her second Christmas. It kept
one busy little girl's hands to herself and provided a great place for
the cats to sleep without toddler assistance. Too bad she's too big for
that now.

Pam S. wryly smiling

Old December 2nd 04, 11:35 PM
polonca12000

I love Michael's definition of Christmas! Thanks.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

news

Old December 3rd 04, 12:45 AM
CatNipped

OK, now I'm confused - I looked at another post and you *are* the Hube's
meowmy. But didn't you used to post as "LOL"???

Hugs,

CatNipped