how to train 10 year old cat to use scratching post

Old August 22nd 03, 09:43 AM
*~*SooZy*~*

Default how to train 10 year old cat to use scratching post

"Popof 3D" wrote in message
om...
I just got 10-year old cat. I haven't bought her a cat tree yet as I'm
saving up for it. In the meantime, I got those cheap scratch posts
(sisal) that hang on a door and a box containing corrugated box panels
inside. She's not using either one. I already applied catnip to both.
How do I begin to train her to use either scratch post or box?

Thanks.

every time you see her scratch the wrong thing.. say "no" firmly, and take
her to the scratch post and show her by you doing it yourself and then if
she doesn't mind use her paw on it! but don't force her!
try attaching a toy to it, or piece of meat.... play with her around the
post

good luck
--
Luv'n'Stuff
*~*SooZy*~*

Old August 22nd 03, 03:10 PM
MaryL

"Popof 3D" wrote in message
om...
I just got 10-year old cat. I haven't bought her a cat tree yet as I'm
saving up for it. In the meantime, I got those cheap scratch posts
(sisal) that hang on a door and a box containing corrugated box panels
inside. She's not using either one. I already applied catnip to both.
How do I begin to train her to use either scratch post or box?

Thanks.

Some people have found the use of catnip on the scratching surface to be
very effective (which you have already tried). I actually had one cat that
would use the scratching post just to roll on and rub against if I used
catnip, so I had to discontinue the use of catnp on the post and use it only
for toys! Nevertheless, I have never had any problems getting a cat to use
a scratching post.

First, you may need to try a variety of surfaces and configurations. Many
cats do like the corrugated cardboard scratchers that you have. I am
skeptical about the sisal scratchers that hang from dooknobs because they
move around and don't provide a solid surface for the cat. Instead, look
for scratchers that are stable and very sturdy. A cat may refuse to use a
post if it has fallen over, so don't use the light-weight models. My cats
will use posts of almost any height, but the taller ones are usually most
useful. I know you said you are saving up for one. PetSmart has one that
is tall has has a wide platform at the bottom that the cat stands on when
scratching; this adds still more stability. You also may need to try
different textures to find something that will appeal to the cat. I find
that sisal is usually the most "desirable," but some cats prefer carpeting,
some cardboard, etc. Sherry even mentioned that her cat likes to scratch on
a pizza box! You may also find that some cats have a preference for upright
posts while others will prefer slanted or horizontal posts.

Next, your question specifically asked *how* to train your cat to use the
post. I did this by making it a game. I would pull a small toy (or even a
piece of fabric) tied on a string up the side of the post. As the cat
grabbed for the toy, it would usually also latch onto the post. Then I
would praise him/her. Sometimes I would scratch on the post with my
fingernails to attract the cat. Eventually, I would only need to tap the
top of the post, and the cats will run to scratch on it. During the
"learning" period with a new cat, I watched carefully. Any time the cat
appeared ready to scratch on furniture, I would say "no" and would walk to
the post and tap on it or scratch on it to attract the cat to the post and
divert its attention from furniture; I would usually call his/her name at
the same time.

It has usually only taken a few days for a cat to become used to using the
scratchers almost exclusively. You said that your cat is 10 years old, so
you may find that it will take more time. However, I have a blind cat
(Duffy) who didn't seem to know that a scratching post when I adopted him,
and he started out by vigorously digging into the carpet. Since he was
blind and an adult cat (about 5 years old), I assumed that training him was
going to take a lot of time. But, no way -- he caught on after only a
couple times, and he seems to view the scratchers almost as toys.
Incidentally, LOTS of praise should go along with this. In fact, Holly will
often run to the post, scratch, look at me, scratch again, look at me again,
etc. ... and I caught on very early in our relationship that she was
basically saying "look at me and give me some attention." Which I do!

I know that I have talked about various types of posts and surfaces, and all
of this can become expensive if you buy them. However, it is easy to make
scratching posts if you want to save money. Just make sure that they are
very sturdy and cannot topple when the cat uses it. I keep several posts in
various rooms of the house so they are always readily available. You can
see some of them by using the two links to pictures in my signature.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
integration into our household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

Old August 22nd 03, 04:26 PM
Bill

"Popof 3D" wrote in message
om...
I just got 10-year old cat. I haven't bought her a cat tree yet as I'm
saving up for it. In the meantime, I got those cheap scratch posts
(sisal) that hang on a door and a box containing corrugated box panels
inside. She's not using either one. I already applied catnip to both.
How do I begin to train her to use either scratch post or box?

Thanks.

I've been successful using the old feathers-on-the-end-of-a-stick cat toy
and a laser pointer to encourage the cat to play with the scratching post
and discover it's a good scratching place.

Some cats are horizontal scratchers, so just placing the scratcher on the
floor would solve that.

Cats seem to like whatever they scratch on to be firmly anchored. If what
you're using just hangs on the door, the cat may not like it moving around
when she's trying to scratch.

Bill