My cats have never been out

Old June 19th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patty

Default My cats have never been out

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:31:34 -0400, cybercat wrote:

"PawsForThought" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 19, 12:59 pm, "Fred G. Mackey" wrote:
Patty wrote:

My cats have always been outdoors. I've never been paranoid
to force them to stay inside. I will admit, I did try it with Rusty when
he was little, but gave up when he was nearly a year old. He virtually
destroyed my house because he was so hyper.

I'd be interested in what your definition of "destroyed" is.

I find that usually people who say their cat destroyed their house are
people who haven't trained their cats properly, or who haven't
provided appropriate scratching surfaces for the cat.

It's true. And like "Patty," they all argue about the All Powerful
Nature of their Ferocious Cat.

Horse ****. Even lame humans like Patty have the edge that a
large forebrain and opposable thumbs give all humans.

You know, I don't feel the need to call YOU names.

Patty
Old June 19th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:55:43 GMT, Patty wrote:

He virtually
destroyed my house because he was so hyper. He was originally a "farm
cat" and was probably descended from generations of outdoor hunters.
He HAS to go outside. It's in his genes.

Sorry, but this is utter BS. My almost 4 year old cat, Rudy, came from a
well established feral colony at the age of 4 months. He is now a very
happy, satisfied indoor cat. Your cat destroyed your house becuase he was
bored, not because he couldn't go outside. If you provide interesting
toys, multi-level climbing and scratching surfaces and play with your cat,
he won't destroy your house. Cats are not decorative objects and do
require interaction. They can be very happy indoors, and they are
definitely safer.

--
Lynne
Old June 19th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:37:19 GMT, Patty wrote:

Oh, and we've never seen a case of
the plague either.

The plague is no long contained in California, FYI.

--
Lynne
Old June 19th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

"Matthew" wrote:

Cyber has a good idea about the fence but to prevent them from getting over
the fence they make a top that can prevent animals from coming in and out

I've been lucky that my cats recognize boundaries such as the railing
around the deck (with a gate) and never try to jump up or squeeze
through.

I think they're actually too chicken to go any further.

-mhd
Old June 19th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Tue 19 Jun 2007 06:02:32p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
.97.142:

Sorry, but this is utter BS. My almost 4 year old cat, Rudy,
came from a well established feral colony at the age of 4
months. He is now a very happy, satisfied indoor cat. Your cat
destroyed your house becuase he was bored, not because he
couldn't go outside. If you provide interesting toys,
multi-level climbing and scratching surfaces and play with your
cat, he won't destroy your house. Cats are not decorative
objects and do require interaction. They can be very happy
indoors, and they are definitely safer.

Ditto here. All four of my current cats came from the outdoors and
have no desire to go out except in the enclosure that they know is
theirs. Rhett and Scarlett were born outdoors and came in at a
young age, but Bonnie was a feral (doesn't even have a desire to go
out in the enclosure) and Shamrock was a cared-for stray until the
person had to move and contacted Washington Animal Rescue League to
come get him. They have lots of toys, places to climb, and the
company of each other. And, no need to hunt to eat. They all seem
happy to me.

--
Cheryl

Old June 19th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Tue, 19 Jun 2007 22:27:08 GMT, Cheryl
wrote:

Ditto here. All four of my current cats came from the outdoors and
have no desire to go out except in the enclosure that they know is
theirs. Rhett and Scarlett were born outdoors and came in at a
young age, but Bonnie was a feral (doesn't even have a desire to go
out in the enclosure) and Shamrock was a cared-for stray until the
person had to move and contacted Washington Animal Rescue League to
come get him. They have lots of toys, places to climb, and the
company of each other. And, no need to hunt to eat.

And now a bone to chew! Hehe.

--
Lynne
Old June 19th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:37:19 GMT, Patty wrote:

Ripped my curtains to shreds, knocked everything of the top of the
cupboards (you know, the space between the ceiling and the top of the
kitchen cupboard?), knocked anything on a flat surface off breaking
many items (even the top of the refrigerator). When I came home from
work one day and found him dangling from the top of the curtain rod in
the living room (the windows are nearly ceiling height, (I live in an
old home and the ceilings are 9 feet off the floor),

And by the way, I recommend that you never get another kitten. Stick to
adult cats. None of the above sounds unusual to me...

Now had you put away the breakables and trimmed his nails, you could have
saved some of your prized possessions. To toss him outdoors for being a
kitten and then call him 'fixed' is just illogical as hell.

--
Lynne
Old June 20th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Lynne wrote:

on Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:37:19 GMT, Patty wrote:

Oh, and we've never seen a case of
the plague either.

The plague is no long contained in California, FYI.

What do you mean? That the disease is in the population, uncontrolled?
I haven't heard of this, and I live in California. What part of CA, by
the way?

JOyce
Old June 20th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patty

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:40:41 -0500, Lynne wrote:

on Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:37:19 GMT, Patty wrote:

Ripped my curtains to shreds, knocked everything of the top of the
cupboards (you know, the space between the ceiling and the top of the
kitchen cupboard?), knocked anything on a flat surface off breaking
many items (even the top of the refrigerator). When I came home from
work one day and found him dangling from the top of the curtain rod in
the living room (the windows are nearly ceiling height, (I live in an
old home and the ceilings are 9 feet off the floor),

And by the way, I recommend that you never get another kitten. Stick to
adult cats. None of the above sounds unusual to me...

Now had you put away the breakables and trimmed his nails, you could have
saved some of your prized possessions. To toss him outdoors for being a
kitten and then call him 'fixed' is just illogical as hell.

Yes, and in this newsgroup your opinion is the only one that should be
followed.

Patty
I said it once before. When people attack each other for a different
opinion it's time to leave and so I will.
Old June 20th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Lynne" wrote in message
. 97.142...
[...]

This isn't what I would consider normal. I have had cats for 45 years and
have never had one act like that. My cats have been indoor cats, active and
happy, but not destructive. On they other hand, they have lots of toys and
attention plus multi-level climbing surfaces. Holly will get on the table
and carefully push papers onto the floor, one-by-one. It's a game to her.
But I have never had a cat that has shredded curtains or been as destructive
as described here. It takes a little time (say "no" and distract their
attention any time they head for the curtains, for example), but this should
not be viewed as normal behavior. My cats also show no interest at all in
going outdoors. I did have a cat, many years ago, that was an outdoor cat.
When she was killed on the road, I decided that I would only have cats that
I could keep safe *and happy* indoors from that time on.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o