Help, he sings

Old January 29th 07, 11:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Default Help, he sings

This morning I had to get up at 3 am and take DP to the airport as he
will be flying across the country (9 cities in 2 weeks) to interview
for a neurology residency.

Smokey was rather bewildered at the bowls filling at 3 am.

I dropped him off. It's still too early to even go get a mcmuffin for
breakfast, so I decided to kill a couple hours on the computer.

At 7, Smokey began to warble and sing for his breakfast. 7 am is his
customary feeding time. Most days his song will get us out of bed if
the alarm clock hasn't done it already.

Only...his bowl's already full.

And yet he sings!

--Fil
who is NOT opening another can this morning thank you

Old January 29th 07, 11:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Enfilade wrote:
This morning I had to get up at 3 am and take DP to the airport as he
will be flying across the country (9 cities in 2 weeks) to interview
for a neurology residency.

Smokey was rather bewildered at the bowls filling at 3 am.

I dropped him off. It's still too early to even go get a mcmuffin for
breakfast, so I decided to kill a couple hours on the computer.

At 7, Smokey began to warble and sing for his breakfast. 7 am is his
customary feeding time. Most days his song will get us out of bed if
the alarm clock hasn't done it already.

Only...his bowl's already full.

And yet he sings!

--Fil
who is NOT opening another can this morning thank you

They are funny creatures. Persia demands her food at 6AM and 6PM even if
she's already gotten it. They have little alarm clocks buried in their
furry selves and when that clock goes off I hear "MEOWMA!" Doesn't matter
if she's already got food. It's time for food!

Jill

Old January 29th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 06:36:43 -0500, Enfilade wrote:

This morning I had to get up at 3 am and take DP to the airport as he
will be flying across the country (9 cities in 2 weeks) to interview
for a neurology residency.

Smokey was rather bewildered at the bowls filling at 3 am.

I dropped him off. It's still too early to even go get a mcmuffin for
breakfast, so I decided to kill a couple hours on the computer.

At 7, Smokey began to warble and sing for his breakfast. 7 am is his
customary feeding time. Most days his song will get us out of bed if
the alarm clock hasn't done it already.

Only...his bowl's already full.

And yet he sings!

--Fil
who is NOT opening another can this morning thank you

Ketzl behaves similarly on the occasions where I've beaten to the "meow - I'm
hungry!" To silence him (I would have said "satisfy" but it takes a lot more
than this) I have to go over to his kibble bowl, pick it up, mix it a bit
with my fingers (adding nothing new, of course) and put it back down. He's
then happy he made me do my duty, and he eats.

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Old January 29th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 05:51:53 -0600, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

Enfilade wrote:
[...]

Mine just think that if they can see the bottoms of their bowls, they
must be starving. :P

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old February 2nd 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:55:37 GMT, Ketzl's Dad
wrote:

[...]

My parents once had a cat who would periodically demand "Fresh
Kibble!". I discovered that, if I simply picked up her food dish,
stirred the kibble with my fingers, and set it down again, she would
happily eat it. Later, she figured out this trick, but if I turned my
back to her so that she couldn't see that I was simply stirring the
kibble, she would gladly go ahead and eat it, thinking that it was
fresh.

They also had a cat at one time who wanted to have someone in the room
with her when she ate. She would periodically lead someone to the
kitchen, then eat her food once they had entered the room.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old February 2nd 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bill Stock

wrote:

My parents once had a cat who would periodically demand "Fresh
Kibble!". I discovered that, if I simply picked up her food dish,
stirred the kibble with my fingers, and set it down again, she would
happily eat it. Later, she figured out this trick, but if I turned my
back to her so that she couldn't see that I was simply stirring the
kibble, she would gladly go ahead and eat it, thinking that it was
fresh.

Smokey doesn't like to see the bottom of her bowl, so picking it up and
shaking the kibble will stop her complaining. The other two are happy to
steal every last bit of her kibble if the bowl gets left down.

They also had a cat at one time who wanted to have someone in the room
with her when she ate. She would periodically lead someone to the
kitchen, then eat her food once they had entered the room.

Smokey likes to have her tummy rubbed while eating, makes her eat faster and
purr louder. This is the only way to get her eating when she gets a new bag
of food, even if it's the same brand. It does not smell the same afterall.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Old February 2nd 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie and Sam

"Enfilade" wrote in message
oups.com...
This morning I had to get up at 3 am and take DP to the airport as he
will be flying across the country (9 cities in 2 weeks) to interview
for a neurology residency.

Smokey was rather bewildered at the bowls filling at 3 am.

I dropped him off. It's still too early to even go get a mcmuffin for
breakfast, so I decided to kill a couple hours on the computer.

At 7, Smokey began to warble and sing for his breakfast. 7 am is his
customary feeding time. Most days his song will get us out of bed if
the alarm clock hasn't done it already.

Only...his bowl's already full.

And yet he sings!

--Fil
who is NOT opening another can this morning thank you

Fil,
It is probably too late to ask this question, but is your DP planning to
come to Atlanta? I'd love a chance to meet him and if he's interviewing at
Emory it would be easy enough for me to run across the street and say hello.
Julie

Old February 2nd 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 22:00:43 -0500, John F. Eldredge wrote:

My parents once had a cat who would periodically demand "Fresh
Kibble!". I discovered that, if I simply picked up her food dish,
stirred the kibble with my fingers, and set it down again, she would
happily eat it. Later, she figured out this trick, but if I turned my
back to her so that she couldn't see that I was simply stirring the
kibble, she would gladly go ahead and eat it, thinking that it was
fresh.

I guess I should consider myself lucky then; sometimes I just lean over and
mess with the kibble in the bowl while it's still on the floor. I've often
wondered if he would catch on to that. He probably will, so I'll take your
lead and be sure to pick it up, turn my back and stir it before putting it
down.

They also had a cat at one time who wanted to have someone in the room

with her when she ate. She would periodically lead someone to the
kitchen, then eat her food once they had entered the room.

Ketzl, on the other hand, will NOT eat if I'm in the kitchen. Many's the time
I head in there only to see he's happily eating, and, knowing that if I go in
there while he's eating, he'll stop and leave the room, I wait till he's
done! Man, talk about a sucka!

By the way, I had to surrender a linen napkin to him after he'd been here a
few weeks. When he's done munching on his wet food (never eats it all at
once, and in fact, almost always leaves some until it becomes inedible) he
would scratch at everything within reach to try to cover it for later: the
stove, the floor, the wall, etc.

He ended up moving the wet food dish all over the place, catching the kibble
bowl, which was nearby, and scattering that everywhere, and also moving his
water fountain all over the place, often spilling water in the process.

I finally learned (yet again; yet another thing he taught me) to drop a linen
napkin near his wet food dish, and now he focuses on that, pawing at it and
dragging it until it covers his dish. Ya gotta love 'im.

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Old February 2nd 07, 05:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Ketzl's Dad wrote:

I finally learned (yet again; yet another thing he taught me) to drop a linen
napkin near his wet food dish, and now he focuses on that, pawing at it and
dragging it until it covers his dish. Ya gotta love 'im.

You are a very well-trained slave, aren't you?

Pics at http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o185/frankiennikki/
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/frankiennikki/
http://community.webshots.com/user/frankiennikki