A Thank You to Sherry (OT)

Old March 19th 09, 01:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default A Thank You to Sherry (OT)

I donate lots of things to the Women's Shelter and Habitat for Humanity
ReStore. They benefit from the donations, and so do I since I itemize. I
continue to donate in years when I don't itemize because the items still
go for a good cause. That gets items into the hands of people who can
really use them and avoids the problems of garage sales and "creepy"

MaryL

I don't get to itemize since there's no mortgage on the house. But I've
been sorting through clothing in the closets and dressers. And the linen
closet. I found a place just a few miles away I can donate my parents'
clothing to. (The flannel sheets will go to the animal shelter to line the
kennels.)

I was just informed yesterday the place that takes clothing for their thrift
shop will also take food donations. There are a number of food items in the
pantry I'd be more than happy to donate. Everyone benefits one way or
another As they say, pay it forward.

Jill

Old March 19th 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
news
"jmcquown" wrote in message
And to others similiarly concerned.

I listed my mothers car on an online site and apparently have attracted
the attention of someone who, shall I say, I'd rather not deal with.
(And if he's reading here, hey! I told you NO!)

I took the listing off the site. I'll just have to find another way to
sell the friggin car.

OB Cats: Persia is snoring away in a bright patch of sunshine. It's
been raining here for the past few days so she's very happy to have a
patch of sunshine to snooze in

Jill

I'm sorry you had such a problem and glad you were smart enough not to
get entangled.

Good luck with selling your car.

Joy

He called me again! Left a message basically ranting that I reneged on
the deal. Thank Bast he has no idea where I live and can't get on the
island without permission. It's bad enough he has my phone number. This
guy is nuts.

Jill

What a bizarre episode - sorry you have had to put up with this - purrs for
your nerves.
Christine

Old March 19th 09, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble

Just a word of warning: if your phone number is listed, he can do a
"reverse lookup" and see the address for that phone number. Luckily I
don't think it works for cell phones.

Bobble

Old March 19th 09, 02:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
abbyspeople

jmcquown wrote:
And to others similiarly concerned.

I listed my mothers car on an online site and apparently have attracted
the attention of someone who, shall I say, I'd rather not deal with.
(And if he's reading here, hey! I told you NO!)

He's 2000 miles away, which was the first red flag. The second red flag
was he asked if I'd meet him at the airport with the car. Uh, NO. The
third red flag was he mentioned he could drive me home from the
airport. Uh, NO. That made absolutely no sense and I wasn't about to go
for it. The fourth red flag (yes, they keep on coming) is he mentioned
a wire transfer of funds. Does he think I'm nuts? I'm not about to
give out my bank account information. The fifth red flag was when I
said no I wouldn't accept his offer. He replied to the same
advertisement hours later under a different email name, asking if it was
still available. Then he called me to tell me he'd been contacted by
this "second" guy to tell him the car is still for sale.

Why would another party know he was interested in my car in the first
place? And then email him about it?! That doesn't make a lick of
sense. This guy must think I was born yesterday.

I took the listing off the site. I'll just have to find another way to
sell the friggin car.

OB Cats: Persia is snoring away in a bright patch of sunshine. It's
been raining here for the past few days so she's very happy to have a
patch of sunshine to snooze in

Jill

We had a couple of examples of this when we were trying to find a
different (cheap, used) car for my college-aged daughter. We had at
least two folks from several states away who were trying to sell a
vehicle on our local Craigslist. They said they'd ship it (the car)
anywhere free once they were wired the money. Yeah right. Who in their
right mind would do something like that? And they were also very rude.
Luckily, we had contacted them via the website, so they never got our
phone number. We did end up finding her a decent cheap car from about
15 miles away...

Good luck!

(back to lurking) shel
Old March 19th 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Mar 19, 7:38*am, Bobble wrote:
Just a word of warning: if your phone number is listed, he can do a
"reverse lookup" and see the address for that phone number. *Luckily I
don't think it works for cell phones.

Bobble

On Mar 18, 7:42*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:

He called me again! *Left a message basically ranting that I reneged on the
deal. *Thank Bast he has no idea where I live and can't get on the island
without permission. *It's bad enough he has my phone number. *This guy is
nuts.

FYI
you can get reverse phone lookup on cells and in areas where rich
people live
on gate-access islands, like Michigan and Washington, criminals get in
by
small water craft travel usually at night.
Old March 19th 09, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Sell it to a local garage for as you much as you can get. You are on your
own and it's not a good idea to invite buyers to your house unless you can
have a friend with you when they come round. If you can get a companion
round for safety you'll probably be able to get a better price.

Tweed

Old March 20th 09, 11:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Fortunately I live on a secure island which is probably what my mother had
in mind all along, bless her Anyone who wants to look at the car will
have to be admitted through security. They'd have to call in advance to
schedule an appointment with me. Then one of the guards will call to tell
me they are here. I can request they accompany the person to my home, so I
wouldn't be alone. And there would be a record of who came to see me, at
what time, etc.

Overall, the area where I live is very rural. There's only one car
dealership (Honda) I know of in "town". (There are dealerships in Georgia,
of course, at least 75 miles away.) I don't know if the local dealership
buys cars outright, although if it comes down to it I'll find out. I won't
get the best deal that way, obviously, and I do need to split the proceeds
with my brother. I've got an advertisement running in the local newspaper
starting today. We'll see how that goes, first. Thanks!

Jill

Old March 20th 09, 01:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

Hey, Jill,
Hopefully, the newspaper ad will work well - I just sold my 22-year-old
Toyota Camry with 263K on it in 1 weekend and I had lots of callers.
Good luck!
Christine

Old March 20th 09, 02:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
There was a segment on the news recently that pointed out how, in
contrast to the
new-auto industry, the market for good, clean, used cars is booming.
It even said
those cars are fetching better prices than they were a year ago. I
guess average
Americans aren't jumping to go so deeply in debt for a new car as they
once were.

Sherry

I'm not surprised, considering they were jumping on SUV's and ridiculous
Humvees, cars they absolutely didn't need and quickly discovered they
couldn't afford.

This is a very nice car, well under 22,000 miles. It's literally only ever
been driven to the grocery store by a little old lady (and then for a while
by me before I went back last year to get Persia and my own Huynadi economy
car). It's a nice car.

Jill

PING Sherry [email protected] Cat anecdotes 1 August 4th 08 01:01 AM
Ping Sherry ---MIKE--- Cat anecdotes 4 July 29th 08 10:22 PM
PING: Sherry Yowie Cat anecdotes 6 November 11th 05 08:59 PM
Sherry, d-pet? Cheryl Cat anecdotes 4 September 25th 05 08:03 PM
HEY SHERRY! Karen Cat anecdotes 42 March 24th 04 09:54 PM